Commando engine in 64 Barracuda?

-
Cooler than the Barracuda (to me anyway) was the 65 273 hypo 4 speed Valiant. I knew a guy that bought one new. I also watched it rot into the ground from rust.It sat in his front yard when it couldn't pass state inspection (PA) ,sunk so deep you couldn't open the doors!

Cooler than the Barracuda (to me anyway) was the 65 273 hypo 4 speed Valiant. I knew a guy that bought one new. I also watched it rot into the ground from rust.It sat in his front yard when it couldn't pass state inspection (PA) ,sunk so deep you couldn't open the doors!
. There was a 66 Valiant near me back in the day when I first had my Barracuda. Hi-po 273 auto on floor. Wasn’t for sale, lost track of it. Then I spotted it at Iola when it was Chrysler’s 75th anniversary. Then a Michigan car

My dad bought a new '64 Barracuda, white with black interior, 273 4speed from Thornton Motor Co., Columbus, GA. It was the car I learned to drive and took my driver's test in when I turned 16. It was also the car I learned to speed shift in. :>)

Officially no commandos in 1964 a-bodies including april release 64 cudas but unofficially who knows. Dealers were well aware of the upcoming 235 hp 273 pre 1965 and were already starting to get performance and dress up parts for the 273 commando by spring of 64.
Very possible at least one 64 got a dealer inspired upgrade to commando specs or was updraded as a 65 hi-po to move inventory.
Way they rolled back in the day.

I did.....:)
it had a big spacer in the side to fit in the larger core frame...for some reason they used a smaller rad.

69 1/2 Roadrunner with the 'new for a half year' A-12 6bbl option. introduced Feb 69.

It’s a pretty rare radiator to find nowadays, and not the same as a /6 unit. I sent one to a member here a few years ago when we had a benefit auction, and told him to donate whatever it was worth to the auction. Don’t know if he ever did, but I would hope that he kept his word!

I pitched mine after its fins started to erode in storage. should have known it may have some value.

The Commando 273 in my opinion is the finest looking production motor. I dressed up the 340 in my '64 to look like one. I still have the tiny stock radiator, but upgraded the core to a three row. Even with that, it was a little lacking at cooling the 340, so I had to install an electric fan.

I put a Muscle Motors 496 in a formula S drag car 30yrs ago. It had the original exhaust tip cutout and was supposed to be a “64 1/2” car

Last edited:
-
Back