Commando engine in 64 Barracuda?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having a discussion about just that. I say no Commando until 1965. The other guy says Commando''s were put in 64 1/2 Barracudas. Anyone know for sure?

Wish i could contact a gentleman i met in the summer. He would know.

There were 273 4v carbs so commando may not be out of the question.

Reading,some say 180 hp 273.
Hagerty was one.
Another said 2 slant options.
So i dont know.

170, 115HP
225, 145HP
273-2, 180HP
('65) 273-4, 235...listed.
They also listed the 67 318-2 (as well as poly 318) as 230HP (my sig) so believe what you want.

I remember going to the new car showing at the Chrysler Plymouth dealer for the 1965 models with my Dad. They had a Barracuda in the showroom with the four barrel engine (and a black center grill section) and I distinctly remember the sales guy pointing out that the 65 model was now available with a floor shifted automatic and a "sporty four barrel engine".

64 1/2....this always grabs me. There were no cars sold as half year cars off the showroom. If it was a 64 1/2, that meant it was a late 64 for the 65 model year. The 65s were started in 64 so it's completely possible to have a Commando with a 64 build date......but the car would be a 65 model year.

He posted his vin. 1965. "Well I guess it might be registered wrong"
Now the info comes out. I asked for a fender tag or build sheet a while ago. :BangHead: Thanks all.

They were late 64's, why they are called 64 1/2. April 1 was the start. Making them a late production 64. Not an early 65 model year. The 64 1/2 have the 64 dash. So push button controls for the autos. 65 the push button was gone . The 1/2's had the pull style heater controls, 65's have the slide clever controls.

They were late 64's, why they are called 64 1/2. April 1 was the start. Making them a late production 64. Not an early 65 model year. The 64 1/2 have the 64 dash. So push button controls for the autos. 65 the push button was gone . The 1/2's had the pull style heater controls, 65's have the slide clever controls.

Some people call them 64 1/2. No car maker ever sold a car that was labeled as a half year model. That was a public nickname kinda thing. It was a 64 or a 65. Model year does not come in half years. It's either one or the other.

I always love this when the "64 1/2" Mustang guys get goin. There was never a 64 1/2 Mustang as far as Ford Motor Company is concerned. The first year for the Mustang was 1965. Yes, they were introduced in 1964, and there were some differences in the early cars, but they were debuted as 1965 Models.

The closest argument against this is with the "63 1/2" Galaxie 500. They were very early 64 cars. There were simply differences in construction and trim to the later 64s. Ford never marketed them as a "63 1/2".

All the 1/2 stuff came about simply to designate early model year cars from late. They were never marketed as such from the factory.

Ok, so I stuck my leg in my mouth. All that bullshit I just spouted was bullshit. I stand corrected.

I always thought that split year stuff was a Ford thing

I always thought that split year stuff was a Ford thing

That's the only maker I thought came close to actually advertising a half year. I didn't think they ever did, but there's video proof I was WRONG as hell. Up there ^^^^^^^ LOL

Most people don’t know that the 64 model Cuda was only available with a 19” radiator either.
I did.....:)
it had a big spacer in the side to fit in the larger core frame...for some reason they used a smaller rad.

69 1/2 Roadrunner with the 'new for a half year' A-12 6bbl option. introduced Feb 69.

Last edited:
I would call the Barracuda a "early release" just because Ma Mopar wanted the jump over the Mustang. The new production year starts July 1. The Barracuda was released Apr 1 a few months short of the 1/2 year moniker. The A12 cars were a lot closer to that "mid year production change".

-
Back