Comp cam lifter problems.......what lifters?

-

19blockhead72

Reaction score
So I installed and new Comp Cams camshaft and lifters in my 408 Dart Sport last week. So I used the lifters in the kit. I tryed to pump them before install. But a few seemed weak so anyway had one completely collapsed yesterday and made an off sound.
So question is what are you guys using for lifter? I'm done with these. Thanks

Never pump up a lifter before you install it. It can hold the valve open on startup and possibly strike the piston.

Never pump up a lifter before you install it. It can hold the valve open on startup and possibly strike the piston.

I've heard a lot of opinions there for sure over the years. I was very careful in my initial adjustment and set them loose for start up.

It’s not an opinion. Not trying to argue you here, I don’t have a dog in this fight. If you had the attention to detail to understand what you’re doing and its effects, then that’s ok.

However, you “set them loose” for startup. So, you have pumped up lifters installed, and some didn’t hold so well or whatever, but you pressed on and modified the correct adjustment to compensate? Confusing.

I’d stop and pull the lifters, make sure they are bled off and start over.

If you’re looking for another lifter brand, I’m sure someone will chime in. Are we talking flats or rollers?

If you change lifters, I have a set of brand new Crane anti-pumps for the LA engines. Selling them because I went with a solid cam in my build.

Ok, I bought new lifters and cam. Put lifters in oil overnight and installed next day. Adjusted them down till play was out then turned them a half turn. With valve covers off, cranked engine over without starting for a few seconds. Started enginge. Lifters chattered for a few seconds and started to pump. A few did not get quite. Double checked adjustment. Noticed that the noisy onesyou could collapse with a finger and no pressure the rest where good. Thought I would take it for a drive. Didn't get better over a couple day period. Once again checked adjustment. Drove again and then load ticking to slapping noise. Number 7 exhaust lifter collapsed completely. Engine has 3000 miles on it all new build, great oil pressure. I have read a bunch of problems with Comp cams lifters lately, this is my 5th cam though them but the first time I've had problems.

Use Crower. They use morel lifters instead of comps Japanese junk. Everyone uses comp I know. But because they’re cheap not because they’re the best. Imo. I’ve tried comp twice. I’ll stick with crower. Costs more,but you only do 1 cam not 5....

Ok, I bought new lifters and cam. Put lifters in oil overnight and installed next day. Adjusted them down till play was out then turned them a half turn. With valve covers off, cranked engine over without starting for a few seconds. Started enginge. Lifters chattered for a few seconds and started to pump. A few did not get quite. Double checked adjustment. Noticed that the noisy onesyou could collapse with a finger and no pressure the rest where good. Thought I would take it for a drive. Didn't get better over a couple day period. Once again checked adjustment. Drove again and then load ticking to slapping noise. Number 7 exhaust lifter collapsed completely. Engine has 3000 miles on it all new build, great oil pressure. I have read a bunch of problems with Comp cams lifters lately, this is my 5th cam though them but the first time I've had problems.

You didn't leave the rear oil gallery plug out didja?

It’s of no help to you, but I will never use another hyd cam. Solids are not anywhere near as maintence intensive as people think.

Ok so they were pumped up while already installed in the engine after soaking in oil bath all night. How’d the cam break in go?

well i found johnson lifters supplies the country with lifters , hyd flat tappets are junk to say the least . i installed a dozen sets in a 340 build i change lifters time after time . with no one bore having the issues . the lifters just would not be quite , finely i received some seal power ones from summit through the cam grinder . there still make noise on start up from an over night sit . but i've been assured that they will bread in and stay pumped up . it has adjustable rockers and a small cam . no reasoning , just junk parts .

same here , as you can see this is not an isolated issue , there are fuel cases of lifters from my cam grinder . he told me the lifter co's don't care about the hyd flat tappets , its the rollers that get all the attention . bigger bucks strikes again . so ya two boxes of lifters , don't forget there were another 16 left in the engine . this broke my back .
DSC00577.JPG
DSC00578.JPG
DSC00580.JPG

I just got Comp's 84000-16 hydraulic race lifters for a project I am working on. The can be adjusted between .000 - .030 preload. I like that they have such a short adjustment travel. They also have a heavy duty snap ring instead of the stupid wire retaining clip.

adjusted them to .020 through out . each valve at the base circle of the cams lobe , requiring .020-.040 preload . idles nice good vac , @10 deg btc , 700rpm .

DSC08613.JPG

Wow, I didn’t know flat tappets were that bad! You really must just have to buy 32 and start taking them apart til you get 16. Inspect the guts for any foreign material, checking every component. You may even need take bore and piston measurements. Mix and match til it all stacks up.

Ok, I bought new lifters and cam. Put lifters in oil overnight and installed next day.

I cut a quart oil container about an inch or more higher than the lifters... Then install the lifters and filling the container with enough oil to fully cover the lifters, then push the plunger with a push rod until you feel them get stiff and the bubbles stop coming up... It sometimes takes longer on some than others...

-
Back