Comp Cams not responding

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I filled out the comp cams online camshaft recommendation form a week ago.
I followed up on Thursday with an email. Today I waited on the phone for 20 minutes.
No response at all. What does it take to get a camshaft recommendation? Any other manufacturers with better customer service? This is for a 512 stroker in a 73 scamp. We will have a super sniper efi and will prepare for a 150 hp nitrous shot. I want to use solid lifters as well. Stealth 440source heads and we want to be able to use pump gas and will be used for street and strip. I am not attached to Comp Cams at all. Any cam company who provides good service is what I want. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I talk to Ken the owner of Oregon cam grinding (Vancouver Washington). He has reground my cam and gave me exactly what I've asked for both times.

Jones Cams

I filled out contact forms for Comp, Crane, Howards and Jones and Lunati. Mikes Jones came back with a great grind. I felt the Crane one was a bit small and a bit conservative, comp got back to me with something not even close to what I asked for. no response from the other two.

It did take almost two months to get the cam from Mike but this was in the spring when they are very busy. Communication was good, not instantaneous but fast enough.

Look Mike Jones up on speedtalk, he is camking over there. Engine Tech - Speed Talk

Erson also has a thread going over there and seems to be very responsive. Erson Cams Quality Discussion - Speed Talk

Good luck.

Garth

I talk to Ken the owner of Oregon cam grinding (Vancouver Washington). He has reground my cam and gave me exactly what I've asked for both times.

Disagree all you want, sugar tits. Jim is still the best.

I had actually forgot about it, but a few months back I too had tried their online recommendation form and never heard back.
I received an email stating they received it and would be reviewing, but never a response.
I was just toying with some numbers so it didn't hold me up on anything, but I think it shows if that's the way they are going to treat us before being a customer, then we stand no chance if we were to have a problem.
It was no huge deal, but I probably won't pursue comp anymore and just do the wise thing and use a recommended cam guy from some of these posts.

I had no trouble at all w/ compcams, only took about a week to grind it and get it to me !
That being said, it doesn`t quite have the advertised lift-----------

I got a special grind from Comp, no problem. It was in their catalog and ground half a dozen lobes to a custom low-lift, low duration profile in minutes, despite every precaution in the book. Those misfiring cylinders really gave my motor a nice lope at idle.

It only cost me a 360 and now I'll never go back to a flat tappet motor ever again. Thanks Comp!

Jim at Racer Brown. Nuff said.
I thought there's more than one person in the world that
I just disagreed the mess with you! LOL I don't know race or brown maybe he's better and maybe he's not. I personally felt there was almost no difference between talking to Ken on the phone like I did the first few times or actually going to see him. He's very personable and will take the time to talk to you and help you. It seems to be with the original posters looking for. Whether you use his cams or not if he's there he will talk to you. Nuff said?

Personally when I want to start thinking about cams and which one I want to choose I rather just call the person. I talk to him or walk down there and see them. I don't want to fill out a card that some employee looks at and maybe get back to me or not some day in the future.
I'm pretty sure he drag races a Ford. When you go to the shop it's crazy amazing the cams there. I mean cams that are 6 feet tall and they're standing up on the floor or bigger. Shopping carts full of cams LOL it's crazy. I just don't know what some of that stuff goes too. I couldn't tell you if this brown person is better or not I'm sure he's great especially in the circle of people that know him. I don't know if I can compare him and his recommendations to the person I said and his recommendations I couldn't. All I can tell you is my experience.
and her some more experience, if you call Ken after 10 Pacific time he's the owner he don't have to be there early.

I've had good personal experiences with Lunati and Erson with catalog cams. FT solid and HR respectively. Our shop uses a lot of Bullet cams that are custom, as in we order all the specs and they send us cams made that way, regardless if they feel it's "ideal" or not.

I've heard nothing but good things about Mike Jones, and if you want a custom cam, that'd likely be the way to go. That said, cam action is all mathematics, and the only real variables are how far you want to risk things with regards to acceleration rates, spring rates, valve train inertia and so forth. S/F....Ken M

I had the same experience with them two weeks ago! No returned email no answer. I started a tread here and got the answers I needed .

I agree, Oregon Cams is on the money, very fast turn around time, gives you what you want and has great advice, they have done my last 4 cams.

My custom regrind from Oregon Cam Grinders took about a week and was in the neighborhood of $150 shipped.
Called Ken, ran the specs by him for his opinion and BAM, done.

Dwayne Porter. he could also help with getting the Stealths up to the task of feeding a 512.
you need more than just cam help. imo

Dwayne Porter. he could also help with getting the Stealths up to the task of feeding a 512.
you need more than just cam help. imo

We ran racer brown cams in the hemi back in the day, then switched cam dynamics, big improvement !
There are numerous cam companies out there, saying one or other is the best is stupid just because you have had a good cam or two from them. I have had good cams from more than one company. Am I pro compcams / no--------------

I've had terrible service asking for cam recommendations. Most just don't answer, others want to give you something close to what your're currently running. I even had one company provide specs that even they said there were no cores that could support the specs. It's crazy!! I've gone to companies that many recommended but poor results. I'm one of those people who like things in writing so I don't like spending money just on phone calls. It really surprises me that so many companies continue to exist with such absolutely pitiful customer service!!

Just in case someone sees this that wants to provide a recommendation I'm looking for a good blower cam for a race only 413ci smallblock with 6-71 blower and mechanical injection which will be running E85. Thanks, Max

I just spoke to Ken at Oregon cam Grinding. He responded to my email with a recommendation and I called him back and got the order placed. Thanks for the referral.

good luck getting a response. a couple years ago I reached out to three different companies about a cam grind to suit my sons 318 we built. No response from any of them. comp cams and Lunati and one other.

I saw 2 comp cam roller cams for small block chevy break just befpre the dist gear, lucky for them all the valves kepy moving, 358 DIRT MOD They must have a run of bad cores, new cam at beginning of dirt season. I have a new roller for my big block mopar not in motor yet but I bought it in the early spring. Motor man says he never has had a broken cam until a few weeks ago 2 in 2 weeks, comp knows about it but did not say much.

-
Back