Compression test results

-
What's your climate like? I had no choke on mine and had to 2 foot it for the first 5 minutes anytime it was under 60 degrees out. Just something to think about, my engine takes forever to warm up though, it might be different on yours.
Currently in NJ, but planning to make the move to Florida soon . . .mine is pretty cold blooded I think due to the 20w50

cylinder 6 access hole
DSC00060.jpg

Best place for the Holley would be to leave it in the box it comes in....
Put a 850 TQ on it, you can them from Summit.

Just finished up the plug wires, used the msd 8mm street fire kit with 90 boots & dei heat sleeve. Some area are pretty much laying on the header so I used the heat sleeve + heat boot sleeve. All in all looks pretty good, tried to route it as neatly as possible.
20220108_094236.jpg
20220108_094228.jpg
20220108_094217.jpg

I just noticed the PCV valve.

If there isn’t a pretty decent baffle in the valve cover, that’s just an oil feeder into the manifold.

I just noticed the PCV valve.

If there isn’t a pretty decent baffle in the valve cover, that’s just an oil feeder into the manifold.
It does have a pretty good flat baffle in it but I still had my doubts. . . Was thinking about just capping vacum port on carb & using another push in breather. . . .think would hinder ventilation / add engine pressure ?

It does have a pretty good flat baffle in it but I still had my doubts. . . Was thinking about just capping vacum port on carb & using another push in breather. . . .think would hinder ventilation / add engine pressure ?

Get a catch can for the PCV and use it. Do not delete the PCV.

For a car that sees mostly street duty, it’s nice to be able to use the PCV.

See if there is any appreciable amount of oil residue at the carb end of the PCV hose.
If there is, then a PCV in line oil separator would be a real good idea.

The other nice thing about a separator is if you start getting into detonation you’ll see extra oil in the bottom of the separator. Just one more thing to look at when tuning.

Making progress. . .very slowly . .
Plugs / wires done
Oil pan straightened & new gaskets / bolts
New Carb, 1" resin spacer, throttle bracket, fuel gauge installed

Wow, R&R the oil pan & windage tray really sucked, took hours, and a bunch of different slim tools and extensions. I bought the more expensive felpro gaskets because I didn't want to goop them up with rtv which I had to do anyways. Strange part is when I called felpro they said really didn't matter between the blue gaskets or cork. They said you have to use rtv on both & it's just preference which one to use... what's the point of spending triple the money on the blue ones then? . . .in any case still have to change throttle cable & figure out kick down linkage then I can start this junk up . . . Can't go on roads due to snow so gonna be hard to test & tune carb

I feel like the RB in an a body is bad enough, adding the raised port heads just makes it even worse to work on . .looks cool though & hopefully it rips
20220109_211343.jpg
20220109_211352.jpg

I like that coil bracket, mine is vertically on the firewall, up front is nice, one less wire draped over the engine.

I like that coil bracket, mine is vertically on the firewall, up front is nice, one less wire draped over the engine.
Thanks, after I get it running right I'm planning to relocate coil & msd under dash. Also going to move battery to trunk & maybe remove some heat wrap on wires. . I think I went alittle overboard on heat sleeve

I think i see a ziptie on the linkage.

so greenghost, was there oil residue in the carb end of your PCV valve?
Surprisingly the pcv hose was pretty dry, tonight I'm going to drain the carb and do further diagnostics at the vacum port. The inside of the carb is a wet mess

Finally after what seems to have take forever everything is installed. I only have to adjust the cables for wot, clean up some wires, & should be good. . .bad part is salt & snow on the ground so other than starting this thing I'm not going ro be able to street test . . . .

-
Back