confessions of problems i have with the dart

-
Duh, Good catch abodyjoe, Yes I had to weld new spring perches on the axle housing. I've been having a lot of Brain farts lately, I guess I'm finally old! Sorry for any confusion mopower440.

Jeff
ok, so what all needs to be welded with this kit? This looks to be the way to go..

You have to cut off the old spring perches and have new ones welded on, The relocation kit moves the springs a little over a 1/2 an inch. you will be surprised at how much of a bigger tire that 1/2 inch or so will let you use. Put drdiff in a search and click on, off set hanger kit.

Jeff

I went with b body rear, narrowed 1 1/2 in each side, Dr diff spring relocation kit, 15x8 wheels with a 5 in offset, 255/60/15 tire

0427171941.jpg

0427171928.jpg

0427171944.jpg

You have to cut off the old spring perches and have new ones welded on, The relocation kit moves the springs a little over a 1/2 an inch. you will be surprised at how much of a bigger tire that 1/2 inch or so will let you use. Put drdiff in a search and click on, off set hanger kit.

Jeff

This is my favorite mod....if you cannot weld, simply take the rear housing to someone than can. IMO, you get the most for the least.

On the front, a set of Wilwoods is my pick. You can now keep the front hubs tucked and they come in a dual 4" and 4.5" bolt circle....win /win. For a few bucks extra, you can get them out of the box powder coated and with cross drilled rotors. The 4- piston calipers and brackets are very lite weight comparred to the bricks the 73 and up A body single piston calipers /brackets.

A car doesn't have to be quick to be fun. Nor fast. I have had a lot of fun with teener cars. And if it ain't fast it doesn't need much brakes. With a 65 mph speed limit, even 9inch brakes can get you stopped pretty good.
With 3.23s and an LSD, and just the spring relocation, (which allows 275s with custom sbp steel 15s.); you could be having soooooo much fun. Maybe some Caltracks or something, but I'm not sure I would bother.
I'll tell you a secret; on the street: I found, in 0-60 straight-line acceleration, 2.95s were little to no quicker than 275s. I'm pretty sure new 275s would be quicker than second summer 295s.
With the relocated spring kit, I think Blu says 275s fit into Darts ok;tight but they fit. I found 275s waaay quicker than 245s,lol. With 275s the back sorta stays in the back, until you act real silly.
Wheel Vintiques will sell you 15" hoops with a 5 on 4" Rally spiders, and put it almost anywhere you need it to be, and the upcharge is minimal.Custom steelies from Wheel Vintiques are cheap! There are other companies doing similar.
>What's that come to? Up here; under a $1000. Probably closer to $650/700. So for the price of the relocation kit, the moving of the perches, and the custom wheels, plus the 275s; you could be having a blast, and looking cool.

Don't miss-understand; I'm not poo-pooing a brake upgrade. I'm only saying that you're not driving a big-rig and the speed limit is 65 in most places, so having 120 mph brakes is nice, but .......... certainly 10 inchers are or can be excellent from 65mph and down. So pick your spots with care. Probably some 80% or more of your driving will be at under 45mph, so ............I sure wouldn't sacrifice driving pleasure for lack of disc-brakes. You and your car ain't getting any younger!
If you can skid the front tires at 35mph, you have adequate city brakes.If you can't, skidding may be just a brake-lining and drum machining away.
Moving the springs over only takes a couple of hours.
And finally; I have found the KH 4piston set-up, more than adequate for my street-rod, for more than 125,000 miles. I have never needed more.

go man,GO!

Last edited:
A car doesn't have to be quick to be fun. Nor fast. I have had a lot of fun with teener cars. And if it ain't fast it doesn't need much brakes. With a 65 mph speed limit, even 9inch brakes can get you stopped pretty good.
With 3.23s and an LSD, and just the spring relocation, (which allows 275s with custom sbp steel 15s.); you could be having soooooo much fun. Maybe some Caltracks or something, but I'm not sure I would bother.
I'll tell you a secret; on the street: I found, in 0-60 straight-line acceleration, 2.95s were little to no quicker than 275s. I'm pretty sure new 275s would be quicker than second summer 295s.
With the relocated spring kit, I think Blu says 275s fit into Darts ok;tight but they fit. I found 275s waaay quicker than 245s,lol. With 275s the back sorta stays in the back, until you act real silly.
Wheel Vintiques will sell you 15" hoops with a 5 on 4" Rally spiders, and put it almost anywhere you need it to be, and the upcharge is minimal.Custom steelies from Wheel Vintiques are cheap! There are other companies doing similar.
>What's that come to? Up here; under a $1000. Probably closer to $650/700. So for the price of the relocation kit, the moving of the perches, and the custom wheels, plus the 275s; you could be having a blast, and looking cool.

Don't miss-understand; I'm not poo-pooing a brake upgrade. I'm only saying that you're not driving a big-rig and the speed limit is 65 in most places, so having 120 mph brakes is nice, but .......... certainly 10 inchers are or can be excellent from 65mph and down. So pick your spots with care. Probably some 80% or more of your driving will be at under 45mph, so ............I sure wouldn't sacrifice driving pleasure for lack of disc-brakes. You and your car ain't getting any younger!
If you can skid the front tires at 35mph, you have adequate city brakes.If you can't, skidding may be just a brake-lining and drum machining away.
Moving the springs over only takes a couple of hours.
And finally; I have found the KH 4piston set-up, more than adequate for my street-rod, for more than 125,000 miles. I have never needed more.

go man,GO!

Like i said, i have the kelsey hayes setup, i just need to get off my butt and get it put on the car, The rear is my problem being i cant weld, i need to find someone close that can install the spring relocation kit and ill be set!

Like i said, i have the kelsey hayes setup, i just need to get off my butt and get it put on the car, The rear is my problem being i cant weld, i need to find someone close that can install the spring relocation kit and ill be set!

If you want to keep it simple get some 15 x 7 wheels and put 235 60 15 Drag radials , add some double adjustable shocks and it will hook with a bit of testing

Well now, I'm not 100% convinced of that. I installed 325/50-15 DRs on my 367 powered Barracuda with just HD shocks, and a snubber, and I think they 60ft no better than my Cooper 295s. I have not tested by timer, but they spin just like the 295s and don't stop spinning until I back off at 65MPH.
Ima thinking,on the street,that healthy sounding 440 is gonna annihilate anything he can fit back there.

Well now, I'm not 100% convinced of that. I installed 325/50-15 DRs on my 367 powered Barracuda with just HD shocks, and a snubber, and I think they 60ft no better than my Cooper 295s. I have not tested by timer, but they spin just like the 295s and don't stop spinning until I back off at 65MPH.
Ima thinking,on the street,that healthy sounding 440 is gonna annihilate anything he can fit back there.

But at least it would look better with the fatter tires. The small current ones just drive me nuts.. i got to have some meat back there..

This is my favorite mod....if you cannot weld, simply take the rear housing to someone than can. IMO, you get the most for the least.

On the front, a set of Wilwoods is my pick. You can now keep the front hubs tucked and they come in a dual 4" and 4.5" bolt circle....win /win. For a few bucks extra, you can get them out of the box powder coated and with cross drilled rotors. The 4- piston calipers and brackets are very lite weight comparred to the bricks the 73 and up A body single piston calipers /brackets.

Can you post a link to these wilwoods you are speaking of?

what about that mopar offset spring location kit, what all will that do? Been a while so cant remember the story on that and how much it would help..

I had Mickey Thompson 26 10.5 15's on an 8 inch wheel on the back of my car with a 1/2 spring relocation kit...which is the range of a 275 60 15...thats getting close to the limit without the full 3 inch relocation kit which gets into tubing and a good bit of fab work.

You would have to move and weld the spring perches on the axle... the rest is bolt in. You can see the offset Shackel in the picture I posted at the back of the spring.

Now how does the offset spring kit work, does it require welding or just a bolt on? If I could get a 275 60 15 in there with just the offset spring kit, that would be great!
Just spring perches moved in and re welded to housing 1/2" or 3/4" depending on kit.
By the way, that car sounds awesome,and familiar....LOL

If you want to keep it simple get some 15 x 7 wheels and put 235 60 15 Drag radials , add some double adjustable shocks and it will hook with a bit of testing

that is simple and will get your big / little look.D Dudick campaigns a 700 + hp Road Runner and it runs
high 9's on F70 15 belted Redlines.You'll have to practice launching without blowing off the tires.There are lots of 340's that require the same.Your Kelsey's, set up properly are a very nice braking system for a light A body.Stock drum brakes are adequate for normal driving but stab and steer in a panic or emergency
is scary!

that is simple and will get your big / little look.D Dudick campaigns a 700 + hp Road Runner and it runs
high 9's on F70 15 belted Redlines.You'll have to practice launching without blowing off the tires.There are lots of 340's that require the same.Your Kelsey's, set up properly are a very nice braking system for a light A body.Stock drum brakes are adequate for normal driving but stab and steer in a panic or emergency
is scary!
My take is if you are not pushing big power you can hook just about any car today on a modern 275...

Chad,
If you decide to go with a narrowed rear.
I have 2 Moser built, one still in the boxes.
Truck rears (8 3/4) / re-splined axles, green bearings. set up for 10" wheel / 5"back space
I ended up going to a Dana.

002_zpsiaagjdxr.jpg

Chad,
If you decide to go with a narrowed rear.
I have 2 Moser built, one still in the boxes.
Truck rears (8 3/4) / re-splined axles, green bearings. set up for 10" wheel / 5"back space
I ended up going to a Dana.

View attachment 1715045901
whats up Howard!! I didn't think you were still around, aint heard from you in a while. Man I need something to get some meat back there..want to fix it up for me?

-
Back