Connecting Rod Splitter

-
I build enough engines to justify one. This last set of slant 6 rods I had resized were TOUGH to separate. I cannot STAND hitting on remanned rods with a hammer.
I used to wrap a rag around the rubber slip grip of the turning lever/pipe on the engine stand....I'd put the rod big end over the end with the nuts loosened to last 5 threads and then use a hard plastic head hammer to tap each bolt on the nut while slight pulling down on the rod till it separated. I did that for 5 engines before I got sick of it...lol
I'd do all 8 at once and then lay them out with their caps for bearings to go in etc...
The vise idea came about and that was end of hammers.

I used to wrap a rag around the rubber slip grip of the turning lever/pipe on the engine stand....I'd put the rod big end over the end with the nuts loosened to last 5 threads and then use a hard plastic head hammer to tap each bolt on the nut while slight pulling down on the rod till it separated. I did that for 5 engines before I got sick of it...lol
I'd do all 8 at once and then lay them out with their caps for bearings to go in etc...
The vise idea came about and that was end of hammers.

I have a BIG vise, too. I may tap a couple holes in it and fix it up like you talked about. I appreciate the idea.

what about something like this?

Tail Pipe Tube Exhaust Muffler Expander Spreader Tool Kit Set 1-1/18" 3-1/2" | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

you would want to remove a few fingers so it only presses up and down, not sideways (if that makes sense)

-
Back