Console fittament on 66 console

-

scottylack

Reaction score
Putting a 66 and up console in my 65 Barracuda....

we redid the floors and hump and it doesnt seem to want to fit.... should it be laying like this? Tons of room...I know it gets trim rugs...
the metal extension in first picture seems to keep it more to drivers side... and the front of console seems to keepo it off the floor especially where shifter was (now a cup holder)
any ideas... should I just chop the bottom till it lays flat? All custom here....

Attachments

• photo(57).JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 147
  • photo(60).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 140
  • photo(61).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 136
That cup holder looks like it gives barely any clearance to the floor. Could that be the problem? If the seats aren't in yet, try stretching the carpet to the doors to push the hump part down. Or pull the carpet, get rid of the padding on the sides of the hump, or the metallic stuff you put down, and then try and fit it.

The console wasn't in the center of the floor but... if there isn't going to be a shifter in it you can do whatever you want with its position, within reason of course. If it gets too far off it will interfear with seat movement.

The point is it just isn't laying flat. It's way off the hump. The cup holder is floating. So that's not the issue. I kept it loose so I can pull it out to clean

The point is it just isn't laying flat. It's way off the hump. The cup holder is floating. So that's not the issue. I kept it loose so I can pull it out to clean
I think on the blue 66 (originally came with the console)t it's just like yours(on second look mine might be a bit lower but not by much!) sort of floating on air.
I have the brackets and everything. the console carpet strips cover a lot of it up, I'll see if I can get a tape measure on it tomorrow right at the front of the seat and at the rear of the console.

thanks... got the measurements from rear seat....

just weird that it flaots way above the hump....and the wings of the console stick out without anything underneath it....

do these consoles ride more to the driver side? Just off center? Seems like you need more room on the passenger side.... anybody?

If the outer edges of the console touched the floor pan it might make all sorts of noises.
The automatic console did actually sit on the automatic shifter stand. That top plate had a locating pin to set it to the shifter ( through a hole in the stand. Majority of those pins are broken off the top plate today. Good ol' pot metal LOL
The front and rear brackets stabilized the console to keep it from moving around.

So if you sit in the backseat center and look at the console, it would like its partially to the left a little?

Not exactly. If you stand bahind the car and look through it the console etc.. would appear to be centered. Sitting in the back seat and looking close enough you would see the tunnel is off centered.

here is a measurement from drivers side door panel to the center peak of the console and same for the passengers side.
25 in to peak on drivers side and 26 on passengers side

View attachment DSCF3760.jpg

View attachment DSCF3761.jpg

View attachment DSCF3762.jpg

since it's on the wife's car that needs to be redone completely it's ugly but all there in the correct spot. and yeah it's an inch off side to side . also it's almost 2 inches floating in the air in that area also as per your pic in post #1
hope this helps. I'm building a custom one for my dart and would be no help at all with that car! I am spoiled, I gotta have my power center and cup holder for that dart!

New too. Got a cup holder. First priority. Thanks! I'm guessing that measurement is with the edge moldings on?

New too. Got a cup holder. First priority. Thanks! I'm guessing that measurement is with the edge moldings on?

that's the complete console measured (top plate chrome corner) from the inner door skin. no door panel is on the car. they were rotten beyond belief, but I measured the thickness of the new door panels in that area and they are 3/8th of an inch thick. soooo 24 5/8 vs 25 5/8th of an inch side to side.

still at 1 inch off. so If you get it centered and shift it over 1 inch towards the drivers side you should be ok no matter what measurement you get.
I just looked at my dart and it'll end up the same way! 1 inch different even with a custom console going in. I'm at the foam mockup stage right now and have found some neat led ring lighted cup holders that I'm going to use.
here's one type
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOAT-CUP-HO..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item231f0fd6cb&vxp=mtr

here's the color and style I like. cheaper too!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Cup-Hol..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item19abf7b82d&vxp=mtr

or this one
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14860-led-lighted-cup-holder.aspx

-
Back