Control arms

-

Patch

Patch
Reaction score
I looked all over the brake section...but here goes......I have a complete donor disc brake set-up off of a 73 Dart.......Upper arms...lower....everything. In one forum I read that you DO NOT use the 73 lower control arm as it is wider.....another forum says use it and makes no mention of it being wider at all........Upper control arm yes...= bigger ball joint........lower control arms........anyone? Thanks in advance......Pat

I didn,t swap the lowers when I did the swap on my 66 Dart.

trim 029.jpg

I have never heard not to use the LCA. I am using a later model LCA so's I can use the sway bar...
C

I read somewhere that the pivot pins at the lower arm bushing differ. One slightly longer than the other. I never layed them side by side for comparison.
Does this mean the lower arms differ in width? I can't testify to that either.
If you research strut rod bushing comments you'll find some have no problem installing those while others have a heck of a battle there.
My best advise is reuse the lower arms and pivot pins that acompany your K frame.

Dimensionally, the '72/down and '73/up LCA's are the same. There is a difference in how the steering stop is designed, between the LCA and knuckle. You can use either arm you want, but best to keep same generation of arm with the knuckle you are using. The front track width was increased 1-1/2" in '67, but the LCA's remained the same. All the increase was between the LCA pivot bolts.
As an example, if your early A (up to '72 is a sway bar car) then keep your existing lower arms because of the sway bar tab location. If it is not sway bar equipped, then swap LCA's with the big bolt discs, knuckle and UCA. The '73/up LCA's have the tabs mounted in a different position.
Hope it helps,
Mike Bynum

If I'm understanding you correctly......no problem putting the 73 LCA on my 65 Dart as long as I use the same knuckles, upper LCA etc? I DO have another set of LCA off of a 73 or 74 that have the mounting tabs for the sway bar........so I could use those as well if I wanted? I got the original drum set-up off the Dart last night......first time in the car's history that stuff had ever been apart......It's fun though....and I cant wait to see the results. My Dart's hard brake lines where they connect to the soft lines up front......will I need to change those to get the hoses to screw on? Thought I read something about that as well.....Thanks again.....Pat

If I'm understanding you correctly......no problem putting the 73 LCA on my 65 Dart as long as I use the same knuckles, upper LCA etc? I DO have another set of LCA off of a 73 or 74 that have the mounting tabs for the sway bar........so I could use those as well if I wanted? I got the original drum set-up off the Dart last night......first time in the car's history that stuff had ever been apart......It's fun though....and I cant wait to see the results. My Dart's hard brake lines where they connect to the soft lines up front......will I need to change those to get the hoses to screw on? Thought I read something about that as well.....Thanks again.....Pat
....................................................................................
I your case I'd keep the original lower control arms. The later sway bar isn't going to fit your k-member anyway. For others that are going to use the '73-6 K-member along with the brakes and suspension parts on a '67-72 conversion, the swap would make sense. The control arms dimensionally seem to be the same including the pins. Somewhere after '73 they started using a coarse thread adjuster so carefull you don't mix them with the early ones and strip something. Here's a photo to show the two arms side by side. Note the sway bar locations.
Thanks, Mark

100_0443.jpg

Sounds like a plan......easier anyway. The UCA from the 73 is different than the 65's original upper though....correct? Larger ball joint if i remember correctly..??? Thanks.....

Sounds like a plan......easier anyway. The UCA from the 73 is different than the 65's original upper though....correct? Larger ball joint if i remember correctly..??? Thanks.....
That's correct.
Mark

-
Back