Converter has reached its limit

-
I called yank to see if I could get it restalled and gone through, had to leave a message. Never got a call back.

In fact ONLY ONE company actually called me back to talk about the car and setup and they called me back within minutes. So I went with FTI this go around, comes with a free restall within the first year, so we can make sure it works the way I want. So far they have pretty good customer service. Hopefully it stays that way.

Circle D did email me back but said they won't build a 904 converter. (Oh well).

I have about a month before it will be on my doorstep. Then we'll see.
What are the specs of the converter they’re building you?

I did the same thing.... filled out the spec sheet for both Ultimate and PTC. I then followed up with a phone call to PTC and I got the same, 8" $950 response. I had to ask what would the converter flash at and was told 5800. I then had to ask him to tighten it up and build it to flash 5200-5400. He said ok, took payment and hung up.

Hopefully I get what I want and not what he came up with. lol
PTC for the win! Called on Monday, spec'ed out the converter and placed order. Got an email on Thursday (yesterday) stating the converter shipped with tracking number. Checked the tracking number this morning and it is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday. Not bad from Alabama to Washington State! lol

What are the specs of the converter they’re building you?
He said they're gonna go with their 9" (sst?) he specified they handle about 1000hp drag n drive cars pretty well. Should stall on motor probably around 3500ish. We both came up with the engine making about 750-820@9-10psi and this should give me some wiggle if I want to turn it up a little.

PTC for the win! Called on Monday, spec'ed out the converter and placed order. Got an email on Thursday (yesterday) stating the converter shipped with tracking number. Checked the tracking number this morning and it is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday. Not bad from Alabama to Washington State! lol
In the future I will just call PTC, converters have been great.

I called yank to see if I could get it restalled and gone through, had to leave a message. Never got a call back.

In fact ONLY ONE company actually called me back to talk about the car and setup and they called me back within minutes. So I went with FTI this go around, comes with a free restall within the first year, so we can make sure it works the way I want. So far they have pretty good customer service. Hopefully it stays that way.

Circle D did email me back but said they won't build a 904 converter. (Oh well).

I have about a month before it will be on my doorstep. Then we'll see.
FTI is sorta local to me. So just before Covid I decided to try them. They spent some time with me about my combo and what I wanted. (3,000 lb car with a 170 slant six on nitrous). Price was fair. I haven't used the converter yet, so can't comment on that, but customer service was good.

Well, fti dropped the ball and never started the build after I called and gave them payment info. Only reason I found out is I called to check on it and make sure I could make a specific track day. So I gave them a second chance, they called this morning and said the parts to build a 904 converter aren't available anymore (for this type of converter).

So.... the search continues.
Dice gave me a quote of $1340
I'll call ptc, ati, dynamic during the week. Kinda sucks, we only get so many track days out here.

On the bright side. I did go to another test n tune yesterday. Pulled 4° of timing across the board and put the lightest wastegate spring I could. This allowed the converter to actually couple (24% slip instead of 30+%).
Even though the lack of timing killed my 1/8 mile numbers it actually pulled up top.
With full timing and 10.3psi- 126mph@7200rpm (3.55gears and 28in tire)
Timing pulled and 7.4psi - 131mph@7000rpm

Small victories

Are you running any sort of boost controller? Or just off the spring?

Are you running any sort of boost controller? Or just off the spring?
Yes. Aem tru boost. But the 7.4psi was controller off. Wastegate only.
10.3 was with a stiffer spring and 25% duty on the Mac valve. My goal was to get the lowest boost I could just to see if i could not drive through the converter. So I put the small spring in and turned the controller off.

Any converter news? In casual conversation at Vegas this spring I’d heard Jeff mention as he was talking with a friend that runs his stuff that there were some parts for 904 converters that had been holding him up…. I’m probably going to have him build me one. I like having a spare to play with. Watching a friend have to pull his trans 6 times over PTC issues id never go down that road.

Any converter news? In casual conversation at Vegas this spring I’d heard Jeff mention as he was talking with a friend that runs his stuff that there were some parts for 904 converters that had been holding him up…. I’m probably going to have him build me one. I like having a spare to play with. Watching a friend have to pull his trans 6 times over PTC issues id never go down that road.
Nope. Got held up when they forgot to build my order... then called back and said they couldn't get the parts for a 904.

Coincidentally, I found my trans was a bit low on fluid. Added about 1/2 a quart and it started to couple. Got it to trap 131.66 at only 7psi. But then we had some weather and the track was flooded and mudded. So haven't been able to test any more really.

Track Finally opened back up.
7,094ft DA - 7.14psi - 255/60/15 MT ET STreet R - added a 2step to build boost on the footbrake made about 2.5psi at launch.
Car still leaning out on the top end - need to add more fuel.
BUT - the converter seemed to be ok at the lower boost level. I might be able to get away with it for a while longer. Might be time to go through the transmission and converter this winter, may have to beef some stuff up. That being said, has anyone used one of the bolt together ATI converters?

20230812_194006.jpg

366656311_764493505676190_2457654873426007052_n.jpg

Well if you’re split converter shopping the sticker shock of upgrading a 904 won’t be a surprise. that is if you chose to remain playing in that arena.
Ever play with thicker viscosity fluid?

Well if you’re split converter shopping the sticker shock of upgrading a 904 won’t be a surprise. that is if you chose to remain playing in that arena.
Ever play with thicker viscosity fluid?
Yea. Already using the thicker hygard. Not sure the trans is actually having problems or if it's just the converter. But so far it's working with low boost.

Unfortunately I have bigger fish to fry. I thought I heard and saw something weird with the car, so I packed it up. Started it up the next day and cold oil pressure wasn't normal.
Oops -
20230813_203604.jpg

I bought a custom converter for my Cuda over the winter. The place i got it from is called Perfect Converter Company, or they also go by .501 Performance. They are out of Cleveland OH, and seem to cater to the street and no prep race crowd. I went to them based off of a recommendation from a trusted friend. A 10 minute conversation on the phone with them where i gave them engine and car specs, my plans and usage, then he shot me a price and described what the build would be. I ordered immediately, got the converter 3 or so weeks later. I have not been to the strip yet this year, but my street driving, and "Mexico driving" has me VERY happy with the build. This converter acts like a stock converter until you floor it, then it flashes to 5,000, and only has about 500-600 rpm drop when shifting. Exactly what i was looking for for my combo. This one replaced a PTC i was running last year......

My next converter will be from 501. Good reports, and seem like they actually appreciate the customer.

Call John at FTI very helpful and top notch service just had a new converter built for R5 motor

Call John at FTI very helpful and top notch service just had a new converter built for R5 motor
Yea... tried that. First they forgot to build the converter after giving them information and payment info. Then I gave them another chance after wasting a couple weeks of my time. At least the second time they called me the next day and said they couldn't get parts for the converter they wanted to build.

So, I'll call someone else after I get the the other issue sorted.

The last converter I got was from FTI (as previously posted). Just wanted to try one of theirs as they are local to me. Prior to that I have used Edge Racing converters. Good service and fair pricing. Plus they built me stuff, no one else would.

I just bought one from FTI in Deland, FL. I'd heard good things about them from the local Shelby guys.(Yeah, I know....) Talked with them about the specs on my 408/727. We decided on a 9" 3800 stall, as it's primarily a street car. Too bad they couldn't help with your 904. I agree with Charrlie S about their service and pricing. I'll have to PM Charrlie now that we're practically neighbors. DemonX2 soon, too.

-
Back