Convertible rear window... plastic or glass?

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Want to get opinions/suggestions on convertible rear window glass.
I have plastic now but want to see what everyone uses and the pros/cons before I replace.

I know glass doesnt scratch as obvious asset- and I wanted to put light tint all the way around (cant tint plastic).

Looks like glass gives you a bigger viewing area as opposed to plastic.

I do like the zipper option on the plastic top...

When you buy a top- do you have the option for glass/plastic rear curtain attachment or does it need to be made?

Any comments appreciated... DougC

if glass is available I would not use anything else

plastic will fade, crack and just look bad after a few years, FYI, glass also zips in

I think I still have the original glass in mine. Had to send the glass to the top company to make new rear curtain and it still has the Chrysler logo on it

MY 2 CENT, nothing but GLASS

View attachment oldtown3.jpg

View attachment lowrear.jpg

check with EZ TOP in Greenville, SC and see if they made a replacement glass pattern off my glass I sent them

Hey Doug,
Gotta say that glass is the only way. A friend of mine from right hear in Wilson has a super nice 67 vert, and he has put at least 2 plastics in his, from fading, yellowing and cracking. I also went with glass. I went with Kee Auto Tops in Charlotte N.C.. They are also the brand that Year One sells. Not on yet but I'll let you know how it turns out. Got my grille, head light bezels, trunk finish panel and side trim back last week. Can you say SWEEEEEEET!! I'm a happy man. Mopars at the Rock is tomarrow, wish you and the family could make it. Look forward to seeing ya'll this summer,
TTL,
Martin

the first time you put the roof down on the plastic it will leave a rub mark from driving around...

Never anything but glass, BUT it might be impossible to get the correct glass these days. When we bought the top for our GTS over ten years ago the glass that showed up was not even close so we had our old glass used for the new rear curtain.

Martin- glad to here the parts are rollin in and yours will be back together soon. That means you are that much closer to comin down here and helpin me finish mine!!! lol

Thanks for the info on Kee Auto Tops. I just got off the phone and here is what they quoted:

Vinyl top $210
Window
Glass $217
Plastic $105
Pad $37
Shipping $20

Looking for a nice white- she is sending samples of 21ST/03CC/53SP/Oxyford/50SP30
Need to see what looks best. I think definitely vinyl over cloth for white... hard enough keeping vinyl clean!

Is there anything else needed to install top???

no... I think Im gonna let somebody install this puppy. Ive done interior work before but Ive seen a few "bad" installs and Im not a fan of wrinkles or creases on a new top.

BUT- I will ask if I can watch... if it ever needs to be done again. He will prob charge double. lol

no... I think Im gonna let somebody install this puppy. Ive done interior work before but Ive seen a few "bad" installs and Im not a fan of wrinkles or creases on a new top.

BUT- I will ask if I can watch... if it ever needs to be done again. He will prob charge double. lol

good idea LET A PRO DO IT

On my tack stripe they filled with bondo to staple into, Said they had been doing convertibles that way a long time. Let the installer do what he thinks is best

MAKE SURE THE ENDS OF THE TACK STRIPE ARE BABY BUTT SMOOTH and use the wires I sent you

Yes a white top in vinyl would be the easiest to keep clean, I used Soft Scrub with bleach on my daughters Mustang convert that had a white top after years of neglect before we bought it. Keep it clean from the start and shouldn't be too hard.

My buddy that has the 70 Roadrunner/SUPERBIRD convertible must not have had the top installed at interior shop because it is wrinkled, spend the money for a crate hemi and to convert a real numbers matching Roadrunner convertible into a superbird and not have a pro install the top and have wrinkles (me no understand)

I been told that where the early verts had very large rear glasses ( like my 67 fish ), unzipping the rear glass isn't absolutly required when its a plastic window but...
If its a hard glass you do have to unzip that recal every time you lower the top.
The smaller generic hard glass that comes with reproduction tops may be a better choice.

Glass all the way, a lot less road niose with the top up.

Hey Martin- if its not all boxed up... could you post a pic of the back window on your new top and tell us the measurements?

Would be most appreciated... DC

I been told that where the early verts had very large rear glasses ( like my 67 fish ), unzipping the rear glass isn't absolutly required when its a plastic window but...
If its a hard glass you do have to unzip that recal every time you lower the top.
The smaller generic hard glass that comes with reproduction tops may be a better choice.

My 67 Dart has Chrysler logo glass in it, I HAVE NEVER UNZIPPED IT, except when I removed the top from the car in disassembly

had a 67 Barracuda convertible with glass, didn't unzip it either, not sure if it had factory glass or aftermarket, but looked very close to the one in the Dart

Correctly installed the glass window rear curtain does NOT have to be unzipped when you put the top down....

The OEM rear glass is almost as big as the notch back glass, shaped similar, has pentastar and Owens Corning markings.

I work at auto glass center and have had a hands on experience with convertible tops. Its not as easy as I thought it was going to be for install. lol Definitely go with the glass.

Hey Doug,
Here are the pics of my top glass not installed yet. The measurements are as follows:
L to R stich to stich= 45.5"
L to R ID=43.25"

T to B stich to stich=14.5"
T to B ID=12.75

Not sure if you can see it in the pics but I also posted one that has the glass stamp
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_2382.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 277
-
Back