converting smallbolt to large bolt

-

terzmo

Reaction score
Planning on buying large bolt pattern axels for My 72 Demon and now will need different rear drums...Napa usually can help with old iron brake drums...does anyone know what part number or source for the drums I will need. The car is an original 340 car with 8 3/4 rearend and I believe 10 inch brakes......Thanks to all in advance

You're going to need more than drums.

A body SBP drums were 10x1.75", and there isn't a big bolt pattern drum for that size. Large bolt pattern axles also use a different offset, so they won't even work with 10x1.75" brakes.

If you're buying axles, your best bet is to find a set of 10x2.5" rear brakes. You'll need everything from axle housing out- backing plates and all.

Easy enough parts to find, Ma Mopar ran 10x2.5" brakes all the way up to the 90's. They're in wrecking yards everywhere.

If you're not the wrecking yard type, shoot me a PM. I've got a couple sets of 10x2.5" brakes laying around I can part with for cheap.

I took my drums to a drive shaft company and they drilled them for the large bolt pattern. That way I used the original brakes with no hassle!

so by getting large bolt pattern,30 spline, A body axels with green bearings; I need brakes and drums to work? or drill as already submitted...nothing easy ?...lol

I ordered moser a body axles with green bearings & LBP. Once the drums were drilled, they installed on the existing brake set-up with no alteration!

Just make sure the new axles are set up for 10x1.75" brakes, the offset on the axles IS different. Then you could just have the drums re-drilled.

However- A bodies are the ONLY mopars that run 10x1.75" brakes, and they only had them on the SBP cars. Recently, there have been issues with the supply of new brake drums in this size. Plus, every time you buy new drums you'll need to have them re-drilled.

Personally, I would just get the larger brakes. Better stopping power, no worries about needing to get them redrilled, and literally MILLIONS of mopars run the same exact set up, so no supply concerns down the road. They're easy to find, and cheap. Every wrecking yard has at least a few cars with the exact set up you need.

I went a step further, I run 11x2.5" brakes on my cars. Not offered on as many cars as the 10x2.5", but they came on a lot more cars (and some trucks) than just the SBP A-bodies, and with larger modern tires they really provide some whoa power, which is handy considereing all the morons out on the roads with their cell phones.

moser makes bbp axles to using SBP drum redrilled to BBP. The part number for the axles is in the thread on moparts.

Crackedback is correct!!! The axle center is also different from sbp to bbp. Been there done that!!! Was going to get bbp moser axles to fit sbp drums w/ 10x1 3/4 shoes but went with bbp axles and drums to get 10x2 1/2 brakes. Much better stopping power. Made a BIG difference trying to whoa it down at the track.

Crackedback is correct!!! The axle center is also different from sbp to bbp. Been there done that!!! Was going to get bbp moser axles to fit sbp drums w/ 10x1 3/4 shoes but went with bbp axles and drums to get 10x2 1/2 brakes. Much better stopping power. Made a BIG difference trying to whoa it down at the track.

I converted to disc brakes on the front before I changed the rear axle. My car stops ok but it would be better to have the 2 1/2" shoes and drums on the rear. That is why I love this site. I'm always learning something new & better!

-
Back