Converting to manual steering - Who has done it?

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
Anyone convert from power to manual? What box did you use and how did you like it? I'm looking into Flaming River boxes, how do they compare to stock?

Flaming river has a 16:1 cast which i think is probably a little tight for $400
Alum 24:1 which is probably little loose for $330. Ive heard there is a 20:1, anyone have a link?

Any suggestions on the coversion coupler? Thanks

Mike, my Barracuda had a aluminum box from a 67 Formula S in it. I think the ratio was 16:1. It had the perfect road feel but I also run skinny tires up front.

Im going to switch the Scamp to manual using what ever box I find and a Flaming River adapter.

i have 235/60s up front, so they arent the skinniest. but i do think the 24:1 sucker is too much. but something like 20:1 would be better all around hmm...thanks adam

i went with the flaming river box and and used the coupler kit. and love it. best thing I ever did was go to manual steering. 16:1 and running 31/2s up front.

I just wish the Flaming river box was aluminum not heavy iron.

AdamR said:
I just wish the Flaming river box was aluminum not heavy iron.

I agree mancini has that alum 24:1 box for $330 which doesnt look tooooo shabby. but will be touchy on the highway i could imagine

AdamR said:
Firm feel has 3 ratios

http://www.firmfeel.com/manualst.htm

is a 16:1 harder to turn then a 24:1 or the other way around ?

musta had that mixed up myself reading how many turns lock-to-lock. :salute: only thing is, this is what someone said about firm feel

Stay away from the Firm Feel manual boxes..
We bought one for significant $..
Installed it, 3 months later it was leaking..

Called Firm Feel up about their warranty program..
Then they informed me:
a. No warranty replacement
b. I need to send back the original and I have to pay the freight
c. Once the box was received they would do me the favor and replace the seal
d. Once the box was received, they would give it a priority and the turnaround would take about a week.

Summary
I would have to shell out another $75 freight to return their defective product. And wait another week while they got around to replace the seal. And then wait another week for it to be shipped back...
However they did agree that they would pay the return freight..
Also there would be no compensation for the R/R labor as well.

Gee thanks.. Guys.. :flame:
No customer support.. Don't waste your time.. :flame: :flame:

I took the original box and chucked it into the dumpster.. Installed a Flaming River box it doesn't leak and has been running fine for over a year..

Mancini Racing said:
Mancini Racing has 2 bolt in steering boxes for your Mopar. Flaming River fast ratio and Borgenson stock 24:1 ratio box

Flaming Rivers steering box is all New Dodge Replacement Manual Steering Box 66-74 Dodge Cars A, B, C, E Bodies and 66-74 Dodge Trucks. Flaming River has designed a new manual box for the early Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth Cars and Trucks (pitman arm may be required for installation). This steel box is much stronger than the original and uses a quicker ratio. This is an all new unit... casting and components... not a rebuild. No need to search the junkyards for a core! Perfect for the Duster, Demon, Charger, Barracuda and many other popular racing applications

Borgenson units are remanufactured boxes. Professionally blueprinted original steering boxes have a 24:1 ratio and an aluminum housing. All blueprinted boxes have a 3-year unlimited mileage warranty.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mastbox.html

i had my ratios mixed up. I might have to try the 24:1 alum if i cant find a non-firm feel 20:1

It always amazes me that people actually swap from power to manual. I have manual in my 68 Barracuda and it really stinks. Slow speed manuvering is a chore and I feel like some sort of contorsonist cranking on the wheel to manuver into a parking space. Then at speed it's darn near impossible to make and sort of quick evasive direction changes.

I have all the parts to swap to power this winter.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
I agree mancini has that alum 24:1 box for $330 which doesnt look tooooo shabby. but will be touchy on the highway i could imagine
i drive a 91 wrangler everyday so i wouldnt mind it at all if was to much!lol

AdamR said:
I think the power boxes are just to over assisted.

Same here. Sport is power,duster is manual. Much prefer the manual. But as you say,to each his own. :coffee:

I just have a stock ratio box, and it's plenty tight enough at 80 mph on the highway. No wander, and it doesn't feel twitchy. It's 200% better than the power box I ripped off.

I agree with Adam, the power units are over assisted. Compared to the power unit, I think the iron manual box is pretty light.

To answer someone's question, the 16:1 will be harder to operate than the 24:1.

I'm currently using the Mancini shaft adapter, but that will come off. I aquired a manual steering/floor shift column to install. Now you'll have to LOOK to see if it was ever a column car!!

AdamR said:
I think the power boxes are just to over assisted.
yeah i have to agree here, when i got my cuda and got the ps working wow its like no resistance, is there anything i can do to make it not so easy i presume no, maybe a bigger pully? :sad1: but then again i didnt like having to turn the wheel of my dart one AND a half turns to turn a corner, thats a lil overkill

Car drives like a truck. I have P205/70's up front (soon to be redlines)

I use the car strictly for cruising and would prefer Power steering?

Any suugestions on a conversion system??

I dont like turning my dart 1.5 turns either to make the corner

thanks
Chas

I'll trade you a power box for your manual box. Its only got 22,000 miles on it.

-
Back