Cool weather experience

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been away up north working for about a month. The weather has been cold, typical winter, but it's supposed to warm up, drastically starting today. Where I live, Southern Alberta, will be the warmest as it is Chinook country (windy!). So I'm headed home, driving along on the winter roads and it is about -13C out (8.5F) not too bad overall. About an hour and a half away from home my windows instantly fog up, completely. First thought, damn, ice rain ahead. Nope. Instead it was the Chinook wind. It got warmer, real fast. It went from -13C to +4C in about half a kilometer. That is 8.5F to 39F in about a third of a mile. It was likely a sharper curve than that, but I was doing about 70mph and the truck thermometer could only change so fast. This was due to the fact I was driving due South and drove into the Westerly Chinook wind. I have lived here all my life and never hit the line like that. The town I was driving by would have been cold on the North end and warm on the south end. It's great that we get these warm spells throughout the winter due to the Chinook wind. But a couple days ago, much of Southern Alberta got nailed with snow. Some places near the mountains got 4 feet or so. I think there may be some February flooding in our future! Just thought I'd share as it kinda surprised me how fast and how much it changed.

It seems that chinook is coming our way. Night-timeTemps here are expected to climb over 20*C( about 38*F) in the space of 3 nights. Currently wind is at 9kph(about 6mph). It was a lot windier yesterday. I guess the Arctic air is leaving us at the same time; this past week was pretty chilly,brrrrrrrr.

Just experienced a similar weather event earlier this week in western NY, the temp went from low 30's*F to low 50's*F within about the span of about an hours time. I was changing a head gasket on my 5.9 Cummins , outside after work because of a nice little warm spell predicted in the forecast, all of a sudden the wind picked up with a nice "warm" breeze and anything metal had a bead of sweat on it like a soda can on a warm summers day. My cylinder head parts which would normally be protected by valve covers were now covered in this gooey white coating of atmospheric sweat and used, black diesel motor oil, it was strange to say the least but that's winter for ya.
Weather can be extreme around here, I've seen it go from being 70*F one day to getting 2 feet of snow the next day, this was the "October storm" of WNY in 2006 if you want to look it up.

That would be a tuning nightmare in the 1/4 mile if the temperature changed that much from one end of the track to the other........lol
Here in Lethbridge, it was - 18c when i got to work around 7 am and warmed up to +6c when i went home at around 4 pm on Thursday.
For you Americans that was 0 F to +40 F in about 9 hours!
And if you can believe this, no wind to speak of..........

We had quite a bit of snow this winter. Normally when it snows it doesn't last long...either the wind moves it out or we warm up. Since the first snow fell winds remained calm...and we have been cold. Well we have been above freezing lately...and it is melting. Seen some monster pot holes in Spokane yesterday. Our yard will be a swamp here shortly...
Local news is almost comical. First batch of articles was about being prepared. Second,was of people ***** inherit about the roads being plowed...and how folks were having trouble with the berms. Why can't they be put in the middle of the road? Why can't they not berm my driveway in? Then it went to "whybrid do the plows have to go so fast? They are throwing the snow onto my freshly shoveled driveway and sidewalk?". Next *****...why haven't all the lesser traveled side streets been plowed? Now...the pot holes...

-
Back