Coolant in the oil pics

-

Benjamin Franklin

Reaction score
The car has been sitting for (1 year) too long. I dicided to pull the engine and clean it up, fix the dented pan, fresh paint, new water pump, powdercoat some things. And after dropping the oil pan t wham i see bright green coolant dripping.
Could that have happened when i put on a new water pump? or when you take off the exhaust manifolds?

Attachments

• 2014-07-09 18.32.43.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 2014-07-09 18.33.12.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 2014-07-09 18.53.38.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 2014-07-09 18.54.47.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 2014-07-09 18.54.36.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 361
  • pan 1.gif
    37.7 KB · Views: 317
It could be from the water pump replacement IF you disturbed the timing cover gasket or it was leaking before hand. Possible intake manifold or head gasket(s) leaking too. Negative on the exhaust manifold removal.

I would hazard a bet "that's a fresh leak." The above applies

It's possible that when you changed the water pump,, it released pressure on the timing cover enuff to allow coolant to leak into the pan,, rather unusual,, but poss..

I'd be interested to know if you had any water pump bolts were difficult to tighten the last few turns? Particularly the bottom 2 water pump bolts?

Remember to coat liberally with anti seize compound otherwise you will likely wind up having the bolts stuck due to dis-similar metal corrosion as the block is cast iron

It's possible that when you changed the water pump,, it released pressure on the timing cover enuff to allow coolant to leak into the pan,, rather unusual,, but poss..
QUOTE]

I have personally seen that before, and it looks exactly like that when it happens.

I would hazard a bet "that's a fresh leak." The above applies

I agree that it looks fresh also. Might have been from when you were taking the engine apart.

If any of the bolts that were removed and reinstalled penetrate into the waterjacket
They would require a thread sealant. Not sure about water pump bolts but I'm pretty sure some of the timing cover bolts do.
Someone with better knowledge could offer a comment perhaps?

Would you suggest taking off the timing cover and resealing it?

Sometimes you can get away with just putting the bolts back in with sealer on the threads and everything is fine.
Of course it depends on the gasket condition, but if it was just unbolted to change the water pump you could probably get away with it.

-
Back