cooling question

-

wireweld

Reaction score
My 416 in my 72 swinger is always running at 200 to 215 whether I am idling or on the interstate.
It has aluminum heads and a 26" aluminum rad. I am using a 17" flex fan with a shroud. The fan is 1" away and halfway into the shroud.

The motor is 540 hp and 14 degrees timing. I am also running a/c but that doesn't seem to affect the temp any. 195 stat. I am using this because the efi people said I should.
I have the factory 18" 7 blade clutch fan yet, should I be using that or get a bigger flex fan?
Thanks for all advise.

Skip the flex fan. Use it for the ceiling. If your going to run a mech. fan, replace the flex with a MP viscous unit ... if it fits with a shroud.

If not, find the highest CFM electric fan ro high powered dual like 67GTX said.

I have a permacool e-fan on my car. Very good. But less HP than your engine.

Yeah, get rid of that flex fan. I think those things are too damn flimsy to move ebough air.

I am going with Northern radiators dual 10" e fans with shroud that is made to fit my radiator. The fans are rated a 2500 cfm so that should be enough, right?

1st try a 180 thermostat. Then try a stock fan and clutch. If you are running the flex fan without a clutch, they don't move enuff air at an idle and on the highway they are turning so fast that they block the airflow. If you think I'm kidding, take the fan off and run it down the highway without the fan and see what happens.

I wish that I had seen that before I ordered. If this one doesn't work, then I will.
My one problem is that I only have 3.5" of clearance. So my stock fan and clutch measures 2.75. Doesn't leave much room of error.

THPTTTTHHHH, plenty of room, plenty!

I wish that I had seen that before I ordered. If this one doesn't work, then I will.
My one problem is that I only have 3.5" of clearance. So my stock fan and clutch measures 2.75. Doesn't leave much room of error.

Don't forget that you can offset the fan and gain extra clearance from the water pump pulley if you have too.

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

Do those mounts come with the fan or where do you get them?

You can do it different ways. It mostly depends on the type radiator you have. I have the stock type radiator in which it has "tabs" on each side to mount something with screws. If you look at the picture I used 1" x 1/4"x 4' aluminum stock that I picked up at Ace hardware. Measure, cut it, made a frame, and you see what I ended up with. I took the fan back off and sprayed the frame and radiator black.

I was looking into electric fans for my 408. Here's what I found out after they didn't cool enough (2 12" fans). Copied from the Permacool site.

How much airflow (cfm) do I need to cool my engine?
A four cylinder engine requires 1600 cfm; a six cylinder engine requires 2,000 cfm, a small V-8 engine requires 3,000 cfm and large V-8 engines require 4500+ cfm.

I'm using a viscuous fan/shroud combination with a 26" rad instead.

Hope that helps.

Oops, sorry about the big text, copied it..

"A four cylinder engine requires 1600 cfm; a six cylinder engine requires 2,000 cfm, a small V-8 engine requires 3,000 cfm and large V-8 engines require 4500+ cfm."

That's the same rule I went by when ordering. In your case (416 cubic inch) 4500+ might be the class you need fall in. I don't understand why it runs same while going down the interstate. Any type of fan is out of the equation when you are moving that fast.

1st try a 180 thermostat. Then try a stock fan and clutch. If you are running the flex fan without a clutch, they don't move enuff air at an idle and on the highway they are turning so fast that they block the airflow. If you think I'm kidding, take the fan off and run it down the highway without the fan and see what happens.

Heres is why the engine might not cool down on the interstate. I do have a 7 blade fan and clutch that came with the car on the 318. Maybe that would work?

I have a MP viscous unit I can not use. It is new and has the shortest clutch unit on it. It is for sale PM me if intrested.

"A four cylinder engine requires 1600 cfm; a six cylinder engine requires 2,000 cfm, a small V-8 engine requires 3,000 cfm and large V-8 engines require 4500+ cfm."

That's the same rule I went by when ordering. In your case (416 cubic inch) 4500+ might be the class you need fall in. I don't understand why it runs same while going down the interstate. Any type of fan is out of the equation when you are moving that fast.

Nice setup there Mullinax.

Another vote to switch the fan & thermostat.

Definitely get a 180 thermostat for starters. Opening at 195, it will hit 200 easily. I'm puzzled by the highway temps too, except a flex fan will flatten out. Airflow should be enough on the highway to cool it. In heavy traffic & hot day I can see it running and extra 10 degress =205. Oh make sure the bottom rad hose is not flattening, should be a spring in it.

-
Back