Cooling the 440

-

RonsSwinger

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not to create controversy, just sharing my experience. I have a 71 Dart with a 440 (475-500hp). I wasn’t comfortable with the cooling. Last winter I changed over to a ColdCase rad with large tubes, spent countless hours getting the shroud perfectly placed and sealed to the rad for maximum air flow. I have a plastic fan that pushes a tone of air (I know some disagree, but with my research there seems to be more issues with flex and clutch fans (I removed a clutch fan) The short term plan is fix the cooling and down the road find a factory 7 blade steel fan). The set up is working Very Good…….. except……. In traffic at 90 degrees the temp gauge starts to creep up over 200 but corrects quickly once the car is moving. Some would be happy with this, but I a looking for perfection. I am in the (painful) process of adding a puncher fan to kick in at 195, and kick out at 185 when stopped in traffic. I realize there could be blockage issues with the pusher fan out front, but I am going on the concept that the car recovers quickly and never moves while driving. I will know the answer the first hot day next summer. Food for thought. Ron D and the Gypsy Queen

My spidey senses tell me that the fan is not moving enough air at slow speeds or stopped.

I’m not a fan (no pun intended) of aluminum radiator's. Copper is expensive but worth the extra cost. Your not pushing that much HP (hp=heat) also does your car have a 22” radiator opening or a 26”?
I’ve never opened up a radiator support before - but have been told the extra 4” matters especially with a big blocked abody car.

My spidey senses tell me that the fan is not moving enough air at slow speeds or stopped.
My thoughts exactly, not moving enough air at idle. It is a 26” rad and removed a copper one. It is running much cooler, but just looking for perfection and no worries about overheating and more enjoyment going for a ride

My thoughts exactly, not moving enough air at idle. It is a 26” rad and removed a copper one. It is running much cooler, but just looking for perfection and no worries about overheating and more enjoyment going for a ride
Have you got a box fan? Maybe set it right in front of the car and see if that helps it cool down any. Then you'll know for sure.

I bought my Duster earlier this year (440) and it has an aluminum radiator (larger than the opening) with a flex type fan as well as a pusher fan on the front with a toggle switch off/on. I will be the first to admit I didn't drive it a lot in the 90+ degree heat with no a/c. When I did and had to sit a quick turn on of the pusher fan quickly brought temps down.
I am not happy with the how the setup looks and will change it eventually if for no other reason than how it looks.

I bought my Duster earlier this year (440) and it has an aluminum radiator (larger than the opening) with a flex type fan as well as a pusher fan on the front with a toggle switch off/on. I will be the first to admit I didn't drive it a lot in the 90+ degree heat with no a/c. When I did and had to sit a quick turn on of the pusher fan quickly brought temps down.
I am not happy with the how the setup looks and will change it eventually if for no other reason than how it looks.
That is the response I was hoping for (it worked). I was happy with the new Radiator setup, but I spent a mountain of time getting it right (thanks to the input of the Mopar brother and sisterhood). I started the setup for the pusher fan and I think I can make it fit. Time will tell. Ron D

I have 0 Duster with a 440 and auto.. in the 475 - 500hp range also.. Pusher fan, shroud and flex fan still runs warmer than i like, can get above 200 on hot days... We built a thermostat that allows more flow, didnt help much...
I would love to never exceed 190.

-
Back