Cooper Cobra Radial GT Tires

-

CudaTime49

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm restoring a 1968 Formula S Barracuda fastback. I have a set of rallye wheels that I am planning to use (14 x 5 1/2)

I'm interested in the Cooper Cobra Radial GT tires and have contacted Cooper. They recommend using the 215/70R14 size.

I'm not interested in over-sizing the wheels and tires, but I am interested in a "beefy" look.

Anyone have any pics of that "Rallye/Cooper" wheel and tire combo in the 215/70R14 size?

Please share. I'd like to see that combo before I buy.

I'm also interested in any opinions of the Coopers.

Thanks in advance

Here you go
IMG_0285.JPG

I bought a set of 215/70-14 Cooper Cobra Tires from Discount Tires Direct, They offered lifetime replacement / refund for any reason. They met their own Ebay price and were fantastic to work with. They are owned by the same parent company but are not directly associated with discount tires but you can go to their stores for help per the sales man

On my 67 Dart with 14 x 5.5 steel wheels the tires fit fine but are a bit bulbous as the rim size is the smallest Cooper recommends.
215=70-14 Cooper Cobra 2.jpg
215-70-14 Cooper Cobra 1.jpg

The Dart had 205 /70-14 Michelin tires on it before and they were not too bulbous looking but look a tad on the skinny side.
104_1438.JPG

Had them on my duster years ago..not great traction wise, excellent for burnout contest smoke like crazy..

I had 205’s originally on all 4 corners. Once I wear these out I will probably go back to 205 on the front and 245’s out back. The 215’s sometimes rub in front.

I bought cooper cobras for my 69 cuda. I like them. Probably not as good as Michelins, but I don’t drive it in the rain or snow. There are not a lot of 14 or 15 inch tires left in larger widths. BFG Radial TAs are about the only other choice. BFG seems to have figured that out and doubled their prices. From my research they are about equivalent tires, and the coopers are way cheaper.

Just put a set on my Scamp 215/65/15 up front and 235/60/15 out back on a set of Cop steelies and really like them. And hard to beat the price too only gave $175 new off ebay for the front and only because I was in the right place at the right time got the back pair for $50 from a guy who wanted larger tires for his GTX. Had less then 500 miles on them :thumbsup: score!

Unless you are just focused on the raised white letter look I would recommend a more modern tire like the Michelin... Better traction ,ride , rain performance , mileage ...etc. and less or same money.mo

Unless you are just focused on the raised white letter look I would recommend a more modern tire like the Michelin... Better traction ,ride , rain performance , mileage ...etc. and less or same money.mo

Do they come in muscle care-type sizes (e.g. 255/60/15, 275/60/15, etc)?

no.. I think a 205 60-15 is the widest I have seen and I cant remember which model tire it was.

I've had both Coopers and BFGs in the same sizes, and didn't notice any better grip with either. The BFGs in my experience, lasted quite a bit longer, altho they did become roller-skates towards the end. I liked the BFGs for their feedback by howling long before they let go. But when they do let go, they're gone, so be ready to enjoy the ride,lol..
I think the BFGs are only good for one summer, then they go hard.
I think the Cobras make it thru two summers with similar street driving,lol.

Last edited:
I like the Cooper tires. Have a set of 225 70 15s on Kitty's Escape. They wear good, ride good and have very good wet traction. Very little tire noise.

I have 235 60 14 on 5.5 rallyes.

They are definitely one size too big.

No issues but if you start to loose air, the sidewall gets horizontal real fast.

Next time I'll get 225.

-
Back