Correct torque converter install.

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
Last night I put the converter bolts in my car. 73 dart, 360, 904 trans. I first installed the torque converter in the trans, spun it around for a while until I heard all the clunks meaning it seated properly. I then put the trans on the motor, I could easily spin the converter and the trans went on without effort, no binding. I also made sure to use the correct B&M flexplate for the 360.

When I was putting the converter bolts in I had my cousin spin the motor over until I had the converter orientated correctly, I then put lock-tight on the bolts and slowly started to tighten them, by hand at first. As I was doing this I noticed that the bolts were slowly pulling the converter towards the flexplate. when they were hand tight I then torqued them to spec.Is that whats supposed to happen? Or should I have pulled it towards the flexplate by hand first? It was the exact same trans and torque converter that was originally in the car.

Also how much clearance should I have between the converter bolt head and engine block? Its not hitting or anything, I assume they can be pretty close. I used an ARP bolt set, seemed the same as the old converter bolts.

yes..the converter will come forward against the flexplate..

Excellent! A few more odds and ends and I'll fire it up for the first time!

-
Back