corvair guy

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i travel about 20 mi of old Rt 66 going to work. there is a part of it that's not the "main" road. I ventured down that little piece today. I spot a corvair wagon and a 58 Edsel survivor ( 35000 actual miles, still have the "plastic on the seats!") LOL.... in the front yard. I stop and meet the couple, Dave Miller and his wife. both Corvair nuts. he has bout 12 including the corvair take of an A100, plus one he does the road rallye race deal with.

both are Corvair enclyclopedias and really great car people. Dave was into Mopars way back in the 80's. but got strickly into these little jewels. I learned a ton about these cars right there! amazing really.

I know this ain't Mopar stuff, but it sorta relates to the slant stuff in a way. low hp cool engines!!!! ( his rallye car keeps up with pretty much everything he said.)..

If you attend any of the smaller car shows in/around central and southern Kansas, you might very well get to see one of the "Yenko" prepped Corvairs.

Yenko did 100 Corvairs and each had a special Yenko tag attached to the firewall denoting which number of the 100 it is.

Weren't they called Stingers?
My uncle had a Corvair Spyder in the late 60"s. I thought it was the coolest car ever.

Cool cars, there are two stingers in a small town named Ft Morgan in eastern Colorado.

When my wife was a teen she says she had a "more-door" Corvair with a record player under the dash.
(I just roll my eyes and say, "Cool car, dear".
She was driving her Corvair when I was driving my '69 340 Swinger.

I just got back from a spin in my '65 Monza!

Attachments

• 7-28-12 031a.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 245
about the only thing I remember about the Corvair was that a cousin had on in H S back in '63 or 4, before he bought the new 65 stang FB. and that Ralph Nader made himself a business off his book.

just the info Mr. Miller was spouting made me remember these cars had some very interesting engineering and features. almost makes me want a book about them to satisfy my curiosity of them. but then I would probably WANT one !!! ?? LOL

If you attend any of the smaller car shows in/around central and southern Kansas, you might very well get to see one of the "Yenko" prepped Corvairs.

Yenko did 100 Corvairs and each had a special Yenko tag attached to the firewall denoting which number of the 100 it is.

Yeah they did, and about 75 exist. Jay Leno has one. I looked into them when I heard about it, and I think the Stinger was the first "special" car Yenko did. Made a type 2 and a type 3, 3 strictly for racing.
Several videos out there, but this is my favorite by far.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2uadljGUE"]James Reeve Returns 2011 Road Atlanta - YouTube[/ame]

LOL I can't read that tach!!! Must annoy the crap out of a porch joch to look in their mirror and see "that thing" behind

Yeah they did, and about 75 exist. Jay Leno has one. I looked into them when I heard about it, and I think the Stinger was the first "special" car Yenko did. Made a type 2 and a type 3, 3 strictly for racing.
Several videos out there, but this is my favorite by far.
James Reeve Returns 2011 Road Atlanta - YouTube

Great video! Watching him work the Porsche, is nice stuff.

My parents bought a 4 door Corvair new in 62. Yall wouldn't believe some of the stories I could tell.

All time favorite Corvair, wicked car

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hKn8idEaZE"]Mid-Engine Crown Corvair: Porsche Cayman Fighter - /BIG MUSCLE - YouTube[/ame]

10 years old was my 1st drive in my brothers 62 4door Corvair

14 wanted to buy neighbors 65 Corvair convertible 140 hp 4 speed, he wanted $125 which I had from my paper route, but dad said I could only give him $100, mr. Harper WOULDNT come down, dad wouldn't let me pay that much. Light blue white top & interior

Still like the looks and even looked at one last summer but they wanted too much and it was very rough.

Don't know how someone like Nader could be so important people would listen to him, where was he in the 30's when cars really weren't safe with manual brakes and gas tank above the feet in the cowl.

My grandpa bought a new one in 1960

I did learn some info from Mr. Miller. like most I thought Nader klled the car, but actually he said, the coming of the high horse Camero, people wanted at that time, POWER!! not rear air cooled low horse thing. he has as ( ibeleive 65 0r 66), the last year for the corvair.... whne the corair was first introduced ( 56??), it was quite an engineered auto. probably cost more to buil d them than what the bean counters like!? anyway, even though I have always concentrated on Mopars, I do love all these all cars!

Great thread!
The Corvair was built from 1960 to 1969.
I was into them long before i was into a-bodies.
I still have my first one, a 1965 2 door model 500 2 door with the 140 H.P. 164 cubic inch engine (4 one barrels) and a 4 speed.
My brother has a rare 1966 Corsa 2 door 180 H.P. 164 cubic inch turbo 2 door with a 4 speed.
Both need restorations, but are on the ''one day'' bucket list for both of us.
I love the darn things, they are so unique!
Screw Ralph Nader and his book ''Unsafe At Any Speed''.

Best thing that came out of the Corvair was the ORIGINAL "turbo" mufflers. No, I'm not talking about "all" the ones that are "called" that today.

There's a 65 or newer around here, yellow with red checkerboard fade to solid stripe on the bottom, late 80's iroc rims and custom ground effects.

I LIKE it.

One of my buds had a non running monza, spyder, turbo, 4 speed, triple black convertible. I think it is still at his shop.

I admit I love learning about "new" things. but after 30 years playing with the Mopars, I find that I forget stuff faster than I learn it !!??? LOL I will have to get to know this new found Corvair acquaintance and who knows,, I might even find a cheap one to play with? I would really ;like to have a Mopar that handles REALLY well, and I know it can be done.

I would love to attend one of these road race deals. and to have a car that could go around the track, just looks like a WHOLE lotta fun. I know nothing of these guys, I will have to say if they are ANY thing like the Vette people/ shows I've seen, I would not fit in!! LOL

60's Corvair

Attachments

• image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 114
Yep-lots more corvairs in south central Mo than people realize. I even have a few!

-
Back