Costs to build an engine??

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Machine shop just called and my 500ci motor is ready to pickup:toothy7:. But once he told me my bill I felt sick to my stomach:puker:. What's the typical costs to have a complete engine built if you supply all parts?? For the amount I owe I am close to being able to buy a motor complete including parts!!! He has done engines for me in the past and I thought he was reasonably priced. But this one seems way out of wack and if he won't do anything about the price its going to be sitting there for a long time before I can pick up:crybaby:

Thanks

Since we do not know what you had done to the motor,it,s hard to say.A refference is a 451 I did for a buddy,after every machining thing you can do,parts and labour,you looking at 6500$.Just machining,assembly and balancing and what ever shop cost there are,2000-2500$.As for machining,you need to list what was done to the block and heads,was there porting done,or just a regular valve job.What was supplied by the shop,what was not.Give us a detailed list and prices to compare,or call me about it,PM me late or look at my profile for numbers,mrmopartech

If you supplied everything,every nut, bolt, everything and they did all the machine work and assembly complete,,I will guess you are looking at $5000. I paid $2200 to have a 451 B stroker short block built, supplied all the parts and the block already had the machine work done.They did have to balance.That was 10+ years ago.At that time I didn't have the time, place or micrometers to do it myself.

what level of build is it? I'm betting I could have built 3 of my 10.90 360's for what I have sunk into one R3 based W8 mill....

Did you get an estimate before he did the work?

These threads always go better if you tell us how much you paid for what you had done. Only then can we tell if you got hosed or got a deal.

It costs exactly what he is charging you.

There is really no way to tell you what your mechanic should charge you for the type of build you gave him parts for. No way to know the condition of the parts and the corrections he had to do them. I get new out of the box pistons, rods, crankshafts, rockers, blocks, camshafts cylinder heads and etc in here all the time that take extra hours or sometimes days to make them right. No way to know exactly what agreements existed between you and him as to power, durability or anything else. Besides this is posted in the Race Section, more expensive yet. Sorry, save up and pay.

Apples to oranges I know, but I'll have about $5k labor in my 408 stroker build. That's block work, internally balancing, clean up the Edlebrock heads a little and check over, assembly, and tune on the dyno. **** adds up quick.

Apples to oranges I know, but I'll have about $5k labor in my 408 stroker build. That's block work, internally balancing, clean up the Edlebrock heads a little and check over, assembly, and tune on the dyno. **** adds up quick.

B.T.,that's cheap... I had 7k in mine,when prices on 408 parts were higher....

WOW I guess I am being a little naïve then:sad:
Build is a 500ci (440 based), 4.15 crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons, file fit rings, balancing, short fill block, bore, hone, torque plate, clearance block for rods, install cam bearings, my Edelbrock heads that needed a couple valves touched up and new seals installed, complete assembly including degree cam. $3700 labour#-o

yeah a little niave I would say , if I could find someone to redo my 410 for that I would rip it out of the car tonight .

That makes sense.....

Could you tell that to my wife?!?!

Build is a 500ci (440 based), 4.15 crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons, file fit rings, balancing, short fill block, bore, hone, torque plate, clearance block for rods, install cam bearings, my Edelbrock heads that needed a couple valves touched up and new seals installed, complete assembly including degree cam. $3700 labour#-o

That's a lot of work to have done, and if you can't do it yourself, you have to pay someone who can. I got all of my prices up front and have been paying on it a little at a time. For example, when my block work was all done, I paid him for it. I know exactly what needs to be done to finish my engine and am saving up the money right now. It softens the blow when you know what you're spending and spread it out. Less sticker shock and remorse!

Could you tell that to my wife?!?!

That's a lot of work to have done, and if you can't do it yourself, you have to pay someone who can. I got all of my prices up front and have been paying on it a little at a time. For example, when my block work was all done, I paid him for it. I know exactly what needs to be done to finish my engine and am saving up the money right now. It softens the blow when you know what you're spending and spread it out. Less sticker shock and remorse!

Yah looking back I wish I would have done like you say and paid a little at a time as certain stages were done:banghead: Especially since he basically had the motor all winter; lesson learned by me:eek:ops:
I could have done some of the work on my own and have in the past but with work and having a kid in two rep sports I just can't find the time; so pay the piper I must #-o. Now to explain this to the wife:prayer:

Thanks everyone
Derrick

Once you get that bad boy in and running you will forget all about the $ you have in it. It will go away the first time you hit the loud peddle.

That sounds very reasonable.

I wouldn't call that a deal but I don't think I would say I got burned either.

If you want a true budget for the whole build as far as parts go then add all the prices up and add about a grand. Are you doing the assembly, if so that will save a lot.

He's paying Canadian dollars in the Canadian economy , shop rates are more like $130-$160 or even more some places , knock that down to about 3300 in US dollars , plus incidentals on top of the parts it's really not a bad deal at all especially if they warranty their work .

He's paying Canadian dollars in the Canadian economy , shop rates are more like $130-$160 or even more some places , knock that down to about 3300 in US dollars , plus incidentals on top of the parts it's really not a bad deal at all especially if they warranty their work .

Yup we pay a lot more for labour and shop rates on most things up here.

I won't even start on about buying parts here!:violent1:

Buy a set of good old micrometers at a pawn shop and measure everything yourself. cut your own valve guides with proper cutter ($60). When I bring my heads in they are bare except for valves. Spring install, shim height, assy done at home in my garage. Assembly is not hard if you get organized, follow a checklist, and pay attention to detail.

I really like threads like this. Here's another data point.

Mine is a 273. I supplied the pistons and pins, and the timing set. They supplied rings, bearings, cam kit. Block was decked square. Crank was polished and also drilled out for a larger torque converter register. Balanced. Short block was assembled including cam shaft.

Heads were milled just to clean them up. Hardened seats. Installed valves and springs. No porting. The first set was cracked, so they had to disassemble, hot tank, and magnaflux two sets of heads.

Total bill was about $2500. This felt like a lot at the time, but now I'm feeling a lot better about the price.

-
Back