Could Chrysler Be Killed This Friday?

-
How is a new Challenger bigger than a new Charger when it has a shorter wheelbase and weighs less ?
I guess the modern Challenger, to me, just looks like a heavy car, ,,, and going back to 1970, the challenger was wider, yes shorter to, than the 70 charger, and weight was not that much less either.

Dodge, Ram and Jeep will still be produced. It’s just Chrysler. That said, it’ll suck when the 300 is gone, the current 300 is the nicest 300 ever built.
Actually, the nicest 300 ever built was the limited run hurt edition from 1970
Before that, it was 1965

I guess the modern Challenger, to me, just looks like a heavy car, ,,, and going back to 1970, the challenger was wider, yes shorter to, than the 70 charger, and weight was not that much less either.
I have 2 Challengers a 2008 SRT8 (#904) and a 2015 Hellcat (#834) and both will run circles around any of the old ones and do it with blue tooth and ac seats. Did I mention both get 22+ mpg. :)

And "Ram" has been it's own brand for a while now, there hasn't been any Dodge pickups in quite a few years.

I have 2 Challengers a 2008 SRT8 (#904) and a 2015 Hellcat (#834) and both will run circles around any of the old ones and do it with blue tooth and ac seats. Did I mention both get 22+ mpg. :)

Do you have a factory Challenger convertible????

I think the 300 has run it's course. How many years now has it looked basically the same? And the Pacifica, who cares about minivans?

Have you been to a Chrysler dealer lately? I bought my Challenger new in 2010 at a local dealer. There were quite a few Chargers, Challengers and Darts out front for sale. Went to the same dealer two months ago to order a part. They had SIX cars on the lot. Four Challengers and two Chargers. They were in the back. Trucks were up front. BTW, the parts dept did not have my part on hand (a front brake caliper bracket). I had to get it from Autozone. Apparently most dealers don't keep car parts in stock like they used to. A sign of the times.

I think the 300 has run it's course. How many years now has it looked basically the same? And the Pacifica, who cares about minivans?
The 300 is still doing well in sales and is in the same ballpark as the Challenger.

2017 sales:

300 - 52k sold
Challenger - 64k sold
Charger - 88k sold

The customers who buy the 300 also don’t cross shop to the Charger, so dropping the 300 would mean dropping all those sales.

The 300 looks like it's OK, but I'd be willing to bet a good portion of Charger sales are cop cars and fleet rentals.

How is a new Challenger bigger than a new Charger when it has a shorter wheelbase and weighs less ?
Should have been more specific. 2008 Challenger weighed over 4100 lbs; 2008 Charger around 3700 lbs. Challenger width was an inch wider than the charger. The Challenger is about 3-inches shorter and a shorter wheelbase.

The 300 looks like it's OK, but I'd be willing to bet a good portion of Charger sales are cop cars and fleet rentals.
You are right on the money on that statement. I bet at least 1/3 of the Chargers we get in the shop are cop cars. Most of them are state patrol cars.

Should have been more specific. 2008 Challenger weighed over 4100 lbs; 2008 Charger around 3700 lbs. Challenger width was an inch wider than the charger. The Challenger is about 3-inches shorter and a shorter wheelbase.
Actually, the 2008 Charger and Challenger are almost identical in weight across the range of engines and options with the Challenger weighing just slightly less.

Charger 3727 - 4160 lbs.
Challenger 3720 - 4132 lbs.

Actually, the 2008 Charger and Challenger are almost identical in weight across the range of engines and options with the Challenger weighing just slightly less.

Charger 3727 - 4160 lbs.
Challenger 3720 - 4132 lbs.

Pretty stout. I talked to a guy at a show back bout 2010. He had a new fastback stang (why??) there being "shown".... I only stopped to ask its weight because it looked so heavy. Weighs in like the Challenger no doubt. Yep these modern cars can run scary fast, Hell my wife's Toyota little truck, forget its name, Tacoma????, runs like a stripped *** ape, I can scare the chit outta her... BUT.................

I have to wonder, in a few years when these USED modern Challengers need NEW parts, IF the owner will be able to find them at the boneyards, cause I really doubt the dealers will have any... JUST parts for pickups and Jeeps!!!!!!! Got at 2008 Challenger ? , get a parts car now while you can???? LOL.. No really.

I have to wonder, in a few years when these USED modern Challengers need NEW parts, IF the owner will be able to find them at the boneyards, cause I really doubt the dealers will have any... JUST parts for pickups and Jeeps!!!!!!! Got at 2008 Challenger ? , get a parts car now while you can???? LOL.. No really.
I can tell you. In ten years they won't be running. If you need a controller such as an PCM, TCM, TIPM, IPC, Central Gate Way (Radio) or most other modules you may be in trouble. They all come cleaned off and have to be programmed. You can't just take a TIPM and PCM from another car and stick it in there. It will not run. You have to download the vehicle configuration from the DCA website by the VIN. I have already sent cars to the scrap yard because Chrysler only has to keep software for 10 years. Then they purge the system. Some you can get some you can't.

I can tell you. In ten years they won't be running. If you need a controller such as an PCM, TCM, TIPM, IPC, Central Gate Way (Radio) or most other modules you may be in trouble. They all come cleaned off and have to be programmed. You can't just take a TIPM and PCM from another car and stick it in there. It will not run. You have to download the vehicle configuration from the DCA website by the VIN. I have already sent cars to the scrap yard because Chrysler only has to keep software for 10 years. Then they purge the system. Some you can get some you can't.
There you go. Those cars would then be bought for parts value, throw away the electronic computer BS and set it up old school!!!!!! Yep ditch the AC too!!!!! People have said for more than a few years, why doesn't Mopar build a "modern" roadrunner!!!!
It will happen. Just try to find a decent project car without traveling to Ca or Wa!!!!!!

Seen many a car with different drivetrains that's for sure. But some places it won't fly because of either the smog E-Check crap or state safety regulations. Not to say there isn't ways around it but that means a special plate and title or some crap like that. They don't build them to last that long anymore. They want to sell sell sell. I hear it everyday. In Ohio it's 25 years, after that have fun with it. But only in some counties. It's a bunch of BS no doubt.

All of the technical advances with electronics are great. However, when a car is on its 4th or 5th owner, the price point of the car is probably very affordable. But, the cost to repair/replace the high tech stuff like adaptive cruise control or collision avoidance sensors will most likely remain expensive. I imagine some person happy to buy a aging great car for a reasonable amount, and that equipment quits working, many owners will choose not to fix it. And like Hellrat posted, many of the modules may not be available to replace.

-
Back