Could really use some help...again..

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I posted about this earlier this week, but so damn lost with it. Trying to get my dash lights / electrical stuff working correctly.
Just weird stuff happening...almost like a short / bad ground maybe... but I really have no clue not circuit savvy..but willing / trying to learn.
Got my cluster in and from what I can tell, all wiring in place. My heater and wiper motor work. My headlights, taillights, brake lights, etc. work. Dash lights don't work.. I've put a couple new bulbs in and still no luck.
High-beam indicator works, but goes off and on depending what position the blinker switch is in. Blinkers don't work. Left blinker indicator on dash stays solid when blinker switch is in the right blinker or off position..but then left blinker indicator light goes out when the switch is in the "left" position.
I have a multimeter, but not real sure how to use it...where to check and what I'd be checking for anyway.

start at the rear taillights make sure all of the bulb sockets are clean and not corroded and make good contact to the tail light bezel. Same procedure all the way around the exterior, might even get some dielectric grease to help make contact.
Get a woven grounding strap (NAPA) and connect one side to the engine and one side to the car body.
There needs to be a good ground on the instrument cluster as well.

good luck

start at the rear taillights make sure all of the bulb sockets are clean and not corroded and make good contact to the tail light bezel. Same procedure all the way around the exterior, might even get some dielectric grease to help make contact.
Get a woven grounding strap (NAPA) and connect one side to the engine and one side to the car body.
There needs to be a good ground on the instrument cluster as well.

good luck
Thanks for the response...guess I should have mentioned the engine is not installed yet.

One of these in every toolbox.

If you do not have the cluster mounted, it wont have a ground. Run a ground wire from the dash frame to the metal part of the cluster housing.

No idea what kind of car we are talking about but anything directional related screams turn signal switch/harness on an older mopar. Dash lights? Did you check the fuse, headlamp/dimmer switch and connector?

No idea what kind of car we are talking about but anything directional related screams turn signal switch/harness on an older mopar. Dash lights? Did you check the fuse, headlamp/dimmer switch and connector?
72 Dodge Demon..
New fuses, same results. Not sure how to check the switches.. I have a multimeter just not sure where to put the probes and what I'm looking for if I did... Volts..? Amps..? and what range they should be in.

He said headlights were working so that rules out the dimmer switch. Its unlikely the turn signal switch is bad. I have never seen one go bad other than physically breaking and he said it was indicating something on the dash.
Everything your having problems with rely on that housing ground. Start by temporarily or install a permanent ground wire and go from there. The instrument cluster is normally grounded with the mounting screws to the dash frame. People sometimes have issues after they paint the dash frame. It was never a great ground and I find a dedicated ground wire can help cure/prevent many issues.

Was the dash frame recently painted by chance? Rule out the easy stuff first...
Yep, freshly painted. Could I just sand the mounting "tabs" on the dash..? Weird that that would be an issue because the screws go through the edges of the cluster that are plastic.

Yes the screws go through the plastic bezel in the front but if you pull the cluster you will see the metal on the back side. Yes you can sand the contact areas but I still recommend a ground wire. It will be more reliable in the long run.

Yes the screws go through the plastic bezel in the front but if you pull the cluster you will see the metal on the back side. Yes you can sand the contact areas but I still recommend a ground wire. It will be more reliable in the long run.
I sanded a couple of tabs and screwed back in.. now when I turn the hazards on, the high beam indicator light flashes...lol

Put a different cluster in... instrument lights come on now, but only when they're switched to off... Damn...

The cluster light on most cars go through the headlamp switch. My 68 has a separate dash light/dome dimmer switch. The dimmer on the floor can be a problem. Connector and switch, usually get wet and full of gunk. Cheap enough and for whatever reason I've replaced a few turn signal switches and harnesses. Ya run a dedicated ground to cluster. Usually a few screws are grounded on the PC board. Pick 1 that's convenient and run a ground. Good luck.

Could you have the plug on the cluster clocked wrong? I have seen this scenario before and that is what it was , Along with your ground issue

Is this a stock wiring harness or aftermarket? Meaning, build their own harness. O'Reilly auto can get a dimmer switch if needed, they were very common, got mine there.

Is this a stock wiring harness or aftermarket? Meaning, build their own harness. O'Reilly auto can get a dimmer switch if needed, they were very common, got mine there.
It's all stock.. I'm going to try a dedicated ground to see what that does... I have a color coded wiring schematic arriving today that someone suggested I get.

Could you have the plug on the cluster clocked wrong? I have seen this scenario before and that is what it was , Along with your ground issue
Not sure how it could be clocked wrong. Pretty sure it's ok. I'm going to try the dedicated ground and hopefully that's all it is.

The cluster light on most cars go through the headlamp switch. My 68 has a separate dash light/dome dimmer switch. The dimmer on the floor can be a problem. Connector and switch, usually get wet and full of gunk. Cheap enough and for whatever reason I've replaced a few turn signal switches and harnesses. Ya run a dedicated ground to cluster. Usually a few screws are grounded on the PC board. Pick 1 that's convenient and run a ground. Good luck.
Dedicated ground is my next step..hopefully that's the ticket. Can a bad ground really cause a bunch of different, weird issues..??

The round plug is keyed so it shouldnt be able to plug in any other way unless the key is damaged.
It does sound like your wiring is crossed somehow but it should be evident if someone has been donkeying around with it. Ground problems can cause weird stuff to happen, especially in lighting circuits. Bulbs can backfeed ground and cause weird issues. Run that ground and rule it out. (or hopefully it fixes it)

-
Back