Counterfeit MSD 6AL boxes

-
Boy o boy these bastards just keep at it don’t they!

They all got the same serial number "......have the same serial number - 682013"

open them and they got a cheap module glued to the case.

All REAL MSD boxes have torx head screws, the counterfeits have phillips.

All REAL MSD boxes heat fins should measure no more then .150", the counterfeits vary and are larger.

All REAL MSD boxes on the end the mag input is on the left and tach output is on the right, the counterfeits are reversed.

and on a personal note, "all REAL MSD boxes will fail on you sooner or later" :icon_fU:

They all got the same serial number "......have the same serial number - 682013"

open them and they got a cheap module glued to the case.

All REAL MSD boxes have torx head screws, the counterfeits have phillips.

All REAL MSD boxes heat fins should measure no more then .150", the counterfeits vary and are larger.

All REAL MSD boxes on the end the mag input is on the left and tach output is on the right, the counterfeits are reversed.

and on a personal note, "all REAL MSD boxes will fail on you sooner or later" :icon_fU:

I don't want to temp fate but I'm never had one fail and some are over a decade old.

I don't want to temp fate but I'm never had one fail and some are over a decade old.
They don't like heat, vibration, or dust. Most circle track cars have two boxes. I can't tell you how many times I've had to switch boxes. I have found Crane and Fast boxes to be much more reliable. I've had MSD boxes crap out in street cars too. It really seems to be luck in getting a good one. Maybe it's a quality control issue, but many racers have had problems with their boxes for decades.

If it's wired correct, I have to agree....
HTH can you miswire this? Its pretty simple. Points wiring is even easier, 5 wires!
msd-ignition-6al-6420-wiring-diagram-vehicledata-at-msd-6al-wiring-diagram-chevy.jpg

Boating friend witnessed 3 boxes fail in 2 hours on a big engine powerboat. I guess the guy had some issues, but he was saved on the river when another passing boat guy asked him what was wrong. Told him and the guy pulled HIS spare from under the seat and handed it off to him. plugged it in and away they went. I understand the guy gave it back to him at the boat launch. I wonder what the root cause these failures are, flyback voltage clamping?

I posted an article about this a while back. Was in Car craft or hot rod magazine. Was more then just msd. Told you how to identify.

HTH can you miswire this? Its pretty simple. Points wiring is even easier, 5 wires!
View attachment 1715158732

Boating friend witnessed 3 boxes fail in 2 hours on a big engine powerboat. I guess the guy had some issues, but he was saved on the river when another passing boat guy asked him what was wrong. Told him and the guy pulled HIS spare from under the seat and handed it off to him. plugged it in and away they went. I understand the guy gave it back to him at the boat launch. I wonder what the root cause these failures are, flyback voltage clamping?
I've had two types of failures. The first one is the car runs great in hot laps and the heat races, then won't fire for the feature. The second is popping/cutting out at the end of the straight. This may go on for a few laps. Then coming out of a corner you're down 500hp. Hit the switch on the dash and it clears right up. Usually involves getting hit in the ***, pushed out of the groove, and loosing a few spots too.

I've had two types of failures. The first one is the car runs great in hot laps and the heat races, then won't fire for the feature. The second is popping/cutting out at the end of the straight. This may go on for a few laps. Then coming out of a corner you're down 500hp. Hit the switch on the dash and it clears right up. Usually involves getting hit in the ***, pushed out of the groove, and loosing a few spots too.

Man ! I'd be mad as a hornet.
I tell ya, I bought a digital 6 and after I opened it up and looked at the knife type splice connectors that they want you to use, I thought this is as bad as Chinese junk. Don't ever use that crap. Crimp and solder.
What reputable electronics manufacturer would ever think of using junk like that ? They must not care about their reputation. I guess when you think you have the world by the *** you can afford to let your products take a hit, from of a cheap connector that has nothing to do with the reliability of your main component.
Of course a loose connection could cause a problem down the road, which could lead to another sale. Let's try their newest one, Right !
I hardly used it, but ended up removing it and I still have it. It worked, but I have no faith in msd electronics.
I do like their plug wires that you make up yourself.

Last edited:
ummm very interesting thanks for word out so now i know what to look for .

That's been on their site for years.

Ar15 stuff is just as bad

-
Back