CR 4085? special tool for brake jobs

-
Reaction score
69 dodge dart service manual calls for special part to adjust brake adjuster star, im used to just doing with screwdriver. due to rear access port and locatio of star for front brakes is this tool the trick/necessary. My par tnumber may be off, going from memory and dont have part in front of me. Ive tried googling to find part, but cannot, any thoughts?

A brake adjusting spoon is the proper tool but in our case, a screwdriver works fine. You don't need a factory special tool for this job. Tool manufacturers make many different ones for particular applications. (usually strange shapes to get into tight places that a screwdriver doesn't work)

brake spoon.jpg

Show us a pic of the tool so we can identify it. You should have self-adj. brakes. You don't need a special tool but you will need more than a brake spoon.

I probably had a dozen different ones on the tool truck until sales plummeted with the popularity of rear disc. I returned what I could and sold the rest. I just stocked one universal one that looked a lot like the one I posted above.

the special tool i like for those is a lift, i can never seem to get in a good position for those laying on my side :mad:

dustertogo said:
I can guarantee you there have been more brakes adjusted with a screwdriver than with a brake spoon.
^^^
LOL !!!
'Sacrificial' flat blade screwdrivers > bent & ground for use on a specific application ---

That tool is just a normal brake adj with a 1/4 or 1/2 moon cut out of it,I have both,most times I don't need them.

I have a couple brake spoons somewhere, hadn't thought about them in years.

-
Back