Crack repair?

-

Claudius

Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question to the veteran engine guys here but, it is plausible to think that a hairline crack in a head can be repaired? If so, any suggestions?
I had acquired a set of 'J' heads from a 340 (casting #3418915) from my local mechanic back in Canada for a small amount of money. I had them taken apart at another shop and put in the hot tank to clean them up. They were pronounced healthy but the engine builder in VA declined to use them because of the issue below:

crack.png

Is this worth trying to save or is it just a boat anchor now?

No port or other work done to them yet? Get another casting. If you had a bunch of money already tied up in them or the were a highly desireable difficult to find head, you could see about fixing it, but for the cost of another head you get piece of mind.

You can machine the head for a seat and fix it. I've done a bunch of them.

Some of the W-2 heads had that issue and I ain't throwing one of those away.

Simple fix really.

When I seen the title to the thread it had me think a good set of suspenders to keep things covered is going to be the answer... LOL silly me...

No port or other work done to them yet? Get another casting. If you had a bunch of money already tied up in them or the were a highly desireable difficult to find head, you could see about fixing it, but for the cost of another head you get piece of mind.

^^This^^ Those heads are easy to find and pretty cheap.

J & C Enterprises in Fairmont WV can repair that head, and guarantee the work.

I had a set of x heads do that on all 8 cylinders they were milled .060 I wonder what caused that.

I had a set of x heads do that on all 8 cylinders they were milled .060 I wonder what caused that.

I was told it was from running a plug that is too hot and it doesn't get rid of the heat and causes a crack.

I've also been told that the casting were thin there but I've never verified that.

M&M block and head madison nc 27025 · (336) 548-9535 ask for jerry neman! save all that shipping thay 30 minutes from PTI air port...

I guess I should not expect a serious answer to that question... LOL. You must be fun to be around all day. When are you going snowmobiling?

I guess I should not expect a serious answer to that question... LOL. You must be fun to be around all day. When are you going snowmobiling?
Are you kidding me? My poor wife! I've had her laughing so freaking hard she's falling forward off the couch grabbing her guts on the ground begging me just stop because she's laughing so hard she can't breathe.

Are you kidding me? My poor wife! I've had her laughing so freaking hard she's falling forward off the couch grabbing her guts on the ground begging me just stop because she's laughing so hard she can't breathe.
you thought she was laughing WITH you, but I bet 10 to 1 she was laughing AT you.. :D

Remember I consider this forum 10% invaluable information and 90% entertainment.

Oh crap! Crack repair, I'm sorry, yeah, if it's worth it the money take it to have it fixed. if it's not worth the money throw it away and buy a new one, simple...

Oh crap! Crack repair, I'm sorry, yeah, if it's worth it the money take it to have it fixed. if it's not worth the money throw it away and buy a new one, simple...
this ^^ right here ^^^ falls into the 10 % invaluable information, no way if fit into the 90% entertaining section.

Exactly one comment like this to help the repair and nine more comments for entertainment.
LOL..... I quote J par - "if it's worth the money have it fixed, if it's not, throw it away"...... LOL...
That was the answer. I'm sure after reading that this thread is CLOSED, answer gott'n, cut-and-clear :D
he hehe
Ha Hahaha
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

-
Back