these pulleys are all different dimensions

the crank pulley for no air has different sized pulley grooves

you need to be more specific for the top pulley

air conditioning?

NO air?

cast or aluminum water pump?

these pulleys are all different dimensions

the crank pulley for no air has different sized pulley grooves

The alternator has a double pulley on it, which I had redone and didn't notice. What I would like to do, is just double up on the belts so, alternator, water pump, crank.
cast water pump, no a.c.
Thanks

I am just trying to help here. the only double groove water pump pulleys I have seen are on AC engines. they are much smaller in diameter than the single groove. the only double groove crank pulleys I have seen have a smaller inside groove and the outer is for power steering. a picture of what you are trying to do would help. I have a few left over pulleys from AC and non-ac engines (small block) . the AC crank pulleys have the same diameter grooves, but come in the 3 and 4 groove variety. I may be able to help, but I need pictures.

you can use an ac water pump pulley with two grooves, but it is going to spin the pump faster and may look awkward.

you could also just replace the alternator pulley with a single groove.

I will see what I have and post some pictures

I am just trying to help here. the only double groove water pump pulleys I have seen are on AC engines. they are much smaller in diameter than the single groove. the only double groove crank pulleys I have seen have a smaller inside groove and the outer is for power steering. a picture of what you are trying to do would help. I have a few left over pulleys from AC and non-ac engines (small block) . the AC crank pulleys have the same diameter grooves, but come in the 3 and 4 groove variety. I may be able to help, but I need pictures.

you can use an ac water pump pulley with two grooves, but it is going to spin the pump faster and may look awkward.

you could also just replace the alternator pulley with a single groove.

I will see what I have and post some pictures

I'll post some pics over the weekend. Basically, I don't want to change the pulley on the alternator, but, I don't want one groove unused so I thought it would be a good idea to run two identical belts? Not sure if it can be done? If it should be done? Just thought it would look good and be kind of a redundant setup.
More for looks than anything.
Thanks

If you have what I think you have and trying to do what I'm picturing... Your current p/s belt is currently in front of a single alt'/fan belt ?
Seems I recall that one moves to the very back of the crank for 2 alt'/air belts to the front.
I don't know how that could work with a cast water pump and maybe I'm totally wrong.

I hope the pics come up properly. Like I said, alternator has a double pulley so, I thought it would be cool to run a double belt. Problem appears to be the double groove water pump pulley. Why would the alternator have a double pulley?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 125
that alternator is for engines with AC . original non AC engines have a single groove

this is a big block , but same idea

Attachments

• pspump2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 127
That would make sense. The car it's going into 66 dart was non ac but the car it came out if was an ac car. So, double pulley for the water pump or am I barking up the wrong tree? Maybes it's not as good an idea as it was after a bunch of beer the other night!

I hope the pics come up properly. Like I said, alternator has a double pulley so, I thought it would be cool to run a double belt. Problem appears to be the double groove water pump pulley. Why would the alternator have a double pulley?

you have what looks to be the proper non a/c and power steering set up there. i don't think you'll find a wp pulley thats double groove and will line up with your crank and alt. pulleys.

if that extra pulley on the alt really bothers you jus get a single pulley put on to it.. the rear groove of the alt is in the same location as a single groove pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back