Crank oil clearance ?

-

Jonny H

Reaction score
I bought a rebuilt short block and was told the crank was .020 over and the rods were resized to .020 over. I do have the paperwork from the machine shop so I know it was done. I plan on checking the rod and main cap bolts torque just to double check them. Should I use some plasti gage and check the oil clearance also ? just to make sure and what should the clearance be?

Thanks

(72 stock 318 for street use)

The terms are actually .020 under. But to answer your question, you would want about .0025 clearance on the installed bearings if I remember correctly. This would be different in a boosted or nitrous engine.

Jack

I would most definatly check clearances. What does a strip of Plastiguage cost, 2 bucks? Well worth the effort to check! I would never assume anything on an engine that I did not assemble.

yeah your right on the over/under. .0025" sounds right

The pan was already installed but the gasket was pushed out on the end so I pulled the pan to redo it. figured I would check things out while I was in there. Glad I did the oil pickup was loose and after I checked the crank numbers I found out it was not a steel crank like the guy said.
Like you said for the little amount of time and money it would be better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks

Jon

on average street build...look for around .0015 -.0021....when higher rpms are planned, look for around .002 -.0025

check one at each end, like no.one & 8 rod/main journals.

jmo

Dont forget, whatever the plasti gauge says you have to double it because your only checking 1 side of the journal.

-
Back