Crankshaft question

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello gurus. I have just picked up some parts and one piece I got is supposedly a 440 steel crank. The guy told me it was a good one with smaller offsets that may not require a bunch of work to put it into a 383 block. I have a list of part numbers for cranks both cast and forged, but I can not find any numbers stamped into it. It has a circled 24 on one end and a U on the other. These are both built in the forging process as they are visibly not stamped. Anyway, where the heck are the identifying numbers?

I guess they could be stamped, but that's a hell of a stamp!

IMG_6648[1].JPG
IMG_6649[1].JPG

Thanx guys and gals.

Last edited:
?? That looks like cast, to me..........but I can't see much of it.........

Wouldn't a cast crank have a little thin rib on the end of that throw instead of those grind marks?
Also isn't a cast 440 crank cast steel rather than cast iron?

One quick way to get an idea is to see if it is drilled for a pilot bushing on the back. I believe all forged cranks were at least pre-drilled for a pilot bushing. Most of the cast cranks were not. If it isn't drilled, it is most likely a cast crank

It's a forged crank. I have cast cranks standing beside it. The 400 has 400 cast right into the throw. I just cant find any numbers that mean anything on this one. It also has yellow paint splashed on one end throw and green on the other.

These are the only numbers, and they don't relate to anything. I guess it really doesn't matter, I just wondered because supposedly there are numbers that mean something.......supposedly! I measured the rotating circumference and it is 7 1/2" more or less.

IMG_6650[1].JPG

IMG_6652[1].JPG

Last edited:
One quick way to get an idea is to see if it is drilled for a pilot bushing on the back. I believe all forged cranks were at least pre-drilled for a pilot bushing. Most of the cast cranks were not. If it isn't drilled, it is most likely a cast crank

Yes, it is cut for a pilot bushing. As is my other forged 383 crank.

looks like a forged crank from what I could see. I would take it to a machine shop and have it checked. Thrust bearing width and journal Diameter.
I have a low mileage Standard bearing real nice crank. It can be installed as is. It is very clean. The man pulled the motor several years ago out of a 20K motor home for his Dart and died. His son sold me the motor for $150.00 all that I kept was the crank, push rods and rockers. One cyl. and head were rotted bad from water. I gave the rest to Jim. I will sell the crank if you need it for what I paid plus ride.

I am not using it I decided to get a stroker kit.

Yes it is forged, What is the main journal diameter, 2.625 or is it 2.750?

Yes it is forged, What is the main journal diameter, 2.625 or is it 2.750?

It is 2.75.... I was pretty sure he wasn't lying about the 440 part, I just wondered why he was claiming it was something special. Like a 426 etc.

Are you planning on it to be going into a 383/400? And or do you need it ground.

Well, I was speaking with the seller about engines. I am not much on the knowledge end of those! We were discussing builds that involved doing things the old way vs stroker kits. He told me about the version that involved either a 383 or 400 block with cutting the throws down to match a chevy rod, 6 1/2" I think, and then using a 427 or 454 piston. He was saying that the rod length was a perfect fit for this. That is what I'm going to research. He said you basically cut the mains and the throws 100 and it works nicely. He also was describing a crank that didn't require a bunch of work to spin in these blocks. But this one is larger than the stock 383 I have so I will likely have to do some trimming.

The reason I would consider doing this is I already have everything, except rods and pistons either way.

Building the 431 Mopar Stroker Engine

Last edited:
George, u have the special crank that takes the yellow striped green bearings. Pretty rare piece. Lol. Kim. Check the rear seal area to see which way the grooves are. U may have a reverse rotation crank

LOL, thanx Kim.. He was implying it was something unique. I have determined it is simply a forged 440 crank. It will make a fine part in a stroker build. Now I just have to decide which combo to do!

-
Back