Crate Motor

-
Keep your motor OP.... If for anything else it will attract the right buyer.... I have mine on a stand for the sole reason of when I sell the car it going to make a difference....

JW

Won't make a difference original or not?. Those days are gone. Stroker motors rule. Sell it & buy a nice crankshaft .

i would sell the 340 in a heartbeat, all it is is a bored out 318

Really far from it spanked many a big block with a 340 can't say the same about any "lameass" 318 I ever came across thats for sure..to the original question put the 340 away somewhere if its matching number to the car..and stroke a 360..

I'm a big block guy. But from what I heard over the years, the 340 is the first choice among small block guys.

Damn, I asked for opinions and I got em, Thanks. I was talking with my son the other day and said he would buy the 445 HP Blue Print for me, Damn kid made me cry! He's got a great job but he's married with two kids two car payments and a new house so I had to say no, He is a great son. He is going to help me get the solid cam I've always wanted and some aluminum heads and finally get the MSD fuel injection on. I've collected the parts for about five years now and am finally ready. To answer some of the responses I received, My Wife and I are both disabled, her from Cancer and me from a life time of back breaking, literally, hard work so money is something that has to be well spent so there was no way to do some of the things suggested, so with the cam and heads a general refresh, bearings and cylinder hone if needed.

Jeff

Ok I have waited to let everyone else post their say so here is my take. The car is only original once as they say. If all the parts are there and you want more power then maybe "you" want more car. Your son may not give a **** about an "old car". Mine sure as hell doesn't. So what you need to do is decide what you "want" to do. But myself, I would never take a car apart to get more power if it is a clean numbers matching vehicle. Maybe do a few changes like a fresh motor and newer cam, but to change out so many things just for a crate motor? These cars do bring good money IF the numbers match for a collector. So think ahead my friend. I would never do it.... but it in end, it is your choice.

Your post beat me buy 2 mins.... Good luck my friend. Sounds like you have a great kid!

Just remember to save all the parts you take off. They should go with the car. Good luck :)

Sell all the stuff you take off. Get the cash & go buy a Crate motor 408.

i would sell the 340 in a heartbeat, all it is is a bored out 318
you will be much happier with the 408 in it (did i mention blueprint has warranties on their engines)

on top of that, people obsess over the 340 to the point that you probably end up spending 1-2 thousand to do the swap (especially if you sell the 340 in the winter when your not driving it anyway, and the buyer can hear it running in the car)

besides, "numbers matching" and resale value is great if your a flipper, but it means squat to a car guy who actually drives and enjoys his car

Wow. So far off-base I'm actually surprised to read it. I'm no "numbers" guy but damn...

There are two types of Mopar owners. I am both types(5 if you count my other personalities). One is the numbers matching car owner. So..you leave it that way. Change anything and the value won't be there. Even if you store the original engine. The other? Buy a non numbers car and build it the way you want. For the 64-71 Mopar Hi-Po cars matching numbers potential owners are out there. Even for the giant killer A bodies. Others look for as much power as possible. That's why I have both. Matching numbers is money in the bank. Horsepower and torque is smiles after miles.

Just my 2 cents, and maybe a few things to think about
Depending on how original the car is, I'd keep the # matching motor for a few reasons
First off you're giving it to your son, and sure A bodies aren't in big demand now, who knows what the future will bring? And every year that goes past, the fewer original old cars there are.
Back when I was 18 I had a chance to buy a 68 road runner for $800, mom wouldn't co-sign for it(sounded too radical) so I got the 69 mach 1 for the same price, I dare you add another zero and find one for twice that today
Station wagons, old cop cars, even 4 doors are getting a following and becoming desirable
Finally, the day may come when your son would like to put it back to bone stock, and it would be nice to have the original motor sitting in a corner
Lets be honest, what is the value of a random 340 short block today vs a # matching motor 20 years from now?
Great post!
I couldn't agree with you more.

Like I said, I asked and I got, but lets remember not all of us can afford a numbers car for "money in the bank" and another or more cars to make crazy fast to put smiles on our faces. When I was looking for a Dart again, I was not looking for a numbers matching car but it fell at my feet for a good price and it did not come with all the original pieces, intake, carb,seats,paint and a few other things so what does that make my car? I love the **** outta my Dart and am proud that its numbers matching but its far from original. Now don't get me wrong its fast but I've owned faster, I'm 61 years old and had to get out of cars because of kids a house and so forth but I've been divorced for a long time and have been with the greatest woman for 20 years who likes Mopars and going fast, she is 67 and because of our situations I have to come up with creative ways of doing things, some may like it and some may not but thats O.K. Buy the way, lots of nice replies and even a couple of nice personal messages.

Jeff

Like I said, I asked and I got, but lets remember not all of us can afford a numbers car for "money in the bank" and another or more cars to make crazy fast to put smiles on our faces. When I was looking for a Dart again, I was not looking for a numbers matching car but it fell at my feet for a good price and it did not come with all the original pieces, intake, carb,seats,paint and a few other things so what does that make my car? I love the **** outta my Dart and am proud that its numbers matching but its far from original. Now don't get me wrong its fast but I've owned faster, I'm 61 years old and had to get out of cars because of kids a house and so forth but I've been divorced for a long time and have been with the greatest woman for 20 years who likes Mopars and going fast, she is 67 and because of our situations I have to come up with creative ways of doing things, some may like it and some may not but thats O.K.

Jeff

Just remember your car, your way.... The matching numbers motor will help sell a car... But based on your situation as you have told it, screw it and do what you gotta do to be happy... In the end it's all that matters anyways. You will have a good time with the bigger cubes lol.

JW

After reading your last post, sounds like it isn't original, and the cost of putting it back to original would be pretty substantial, so yea get the stroker and have fun
My duster isn't anything special ,slant 6 gold duster, I'm fixing it up like a 70s hot rod, air shocks, deep dish cragars, slapper traction bars, an 8 inch steering wheel, and a cherry bomb muffler, even have the yellow accel wires and a super coil, and all the mfg decals are on the rear quarter windows
I'm sure many here would disagree with what I'm doing, but I hop in that car, grab the little wheel,put on some AC/DC, cackle the pipes a few times and I feel 18 again and that's what it's all about
Next is the drivetrain I want to make a torque monster slanty, with a radical cam and a 4 bbl, I don't really care how fast it is(those days are long gone) so long as it sounds and looks fast
Why? So when the neighbor kids walk up and ask "hey mister, what ya got in that thing?" I can look them straight in the eye and say " Just a lil ole 6 cylinder"
I just wish they'd quit thinking it's a Nova
So good luck with your car and enjoy the heck out of it

Cubic inches/ strokers have followed my age. lol
In my 40's it was 400-500 cubes.
Now in my 50's it's 500- 604 cubes.
I have skipped the 500 + engines in hopes of some day in my 60's a 700 cube combo will be available. lol

-
Back