Crate Motor

-

jeffnmo

Just another Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a numbers matching 1970 340 Dart and I'm thinking about selling the Motor and buying a BluePrint crate 408 short block, The numbers matching is great but not life or death to me. I want more power but really can't afford to have the 340 totally rebuilt into a 408, I figure I could sell it and buy the 435 HP short block from BluePrint and have some cash left over. I'll never sell the Dart its going to my son when my time is done. What are your opinions, I've been thinking about this for a while and its driving me nuts. What is the average price for a 340, it runs good, has good oil pressure and will be sold as a short block with drivers side exhaust manifold and starter.

Thanks Jeff

I couldn't find the 435 hp listing in the short block section at BluePrint's website. Having said that, you have a 340 w 2.02" intake valves presumably. There will always be car people who value #'s matching, especially for factory 4bbl cars. You could freshen it up w a valve job on the heads and add nice headers like Doug's, more intake and carb, and a cam for less than or close to the short block and have the best of both.

Should be 445hp. Shame you cant afford to stash that 340 under the workbench. Once you sell it, its gone! Johnny Mac is a member here, maybe he will chime in.

I’d keep the OE engine somewhere close. It makes the car more valuable.

a friend just sold his 375 hp 408 blueprint engine.It ran 11's in his dart.
The blueprint 375 hp makes a lot of torque.

I would NOT sell the 340 you WILL be sorry down the road. Although the 408 has a longer stroke and more torque the 340 is a lot of fun to drive and you can get a lot of power out of it. Then if you break the create motor no big lose except for $

If you are gonna keep the car you will kick yourself for getting rid of the original engine, then posting on here and telling everyone about it. I’m surprised you havent caught more flak about this.

Isn't the 340 considered the "hemi" version of the small block? I don't think anyone would recommend selling it off, but you are the boss.

Number matching doesn't me anything with most of these cars. You'd get the same money for your car with the crate engine if not more. I sold my non-matching numbers dart (which originally was a 69 swinger 340, 4 speed, non power with factory air) for 25k. I'm hard pressed that I would have gotten much more, if any, had it been left stock.

I sold my last 340 for 1500 but that was quite a awile ago and it wasn't in the car. If you want top dollar for an engine it has to be in the car and running.

ok i can see putting a crate in the car.. but do not sell the numbers engine and trans.. the car is worth quite a bit more with those..

yea yea yea no one sees themselves selling their car but you never know what may come up.. keep that 340 so if/when the car is sold its worth the most it can be..

i would sell the 340 in a heartbeat, all it is is a bored out 318
you will be much happier with the 408 in it (did i mention blueprint has warranties on their engines)

on top of that, people obsess over the 340 to the point that you probably end up spending 1-2 thousand to do the swap (especially if you sell the 340 in the winter when your not driving it anyway, and the buyer can hear it running in the car)

besides, "numbers matching" and resale value is great if your a flipper, but it means squat to a car guy who actually drives and enjoys his car

i would sell the 340 in a heartbeat, all it is is a bored out 318
you will be much happier with the 408 in it (did i mention blueprint has warranties on their engines)

on top of that, people obsess over the 340 to the point that you probably end up spending 1-2 thousand to do the swap (especially if you sell the 340 in the winter when your not driving it anyway, and the buyer can hear it running in the car)

besides, "numbers matching" and resale value is great if your a flipper, but it means squat to a car guy who actually drives and enjoys his car

I would have to disagree, I would want the #'s matching car.
Everybody has a car that doesn't match and anyone can build a 6cyl car into something special so if you don't care get a 6 cyl car and have at it.
For the guy that cares, keep the car together, for a guy like you who doesn't care and I take it you don't have a 340 don't discourage the guy because he's not sure or doesn't know.

Hey everyone, I have a numbers matching 1970 340 Dart and I'm thinking about selling the Motor and buying a BluePrint crate 408 short block, The numbers matching is great but not life or death to me. I want more power but really can't afford to have the 340 totally rebuilt into a 408, I figure I could sell it and buy the 435 HP short block from BluePrint and have some cash left over. I'll never sell the Dart its going to my son when my time is done. What are your opinions, I've been thinking about this for a while and its driving me nuts. What is the average price for a 340, it runs good, has good oil pressure and will be sold as a short block with drivers side exhaust manifold and starter.

Thanks Jeff
Keep the original engine. Stuff it in the corner and carry on. The original/restoration part of the hobby is very strong and you will have no regrets having the original engine for the car.

Number matching doesn't me anything with most of these cars. You'd get the same money for your car with the crate engine if not more. I sold my non-matching numbers dart (which originally was a 69 swinger 340, 4 speed, non power with factory air) for 25k. I'm hard pressed that I would have gotten much more, if any, had it been left stock.

I sold my last 340 for 1500 but that was quite a awile ago and it wasn't in the car. If you want top dollar for an engine it has to be in the car and running.

I agree.Having the original engine is nice but A bodies are not collectible and selling prices are based on quality for these cars unless it's a numbers big block.
The op says funds are low so having both is not an option.
He wanted an opinion so mine is tune and keep the 340.

Thanks Jeff
I very much doubt that you can get that kind of money $ for your 340.
By the time you purchase the crate engine and all the parts you will need to make the swap you will throw a bunch of $ at it.

I would have to disagree, I would want the #'s matching car.
Everybody has a car that doesn't match and anyone can build a 6cyl car into something special so if you don't care get a 6 cyl car and have at it.
For the guy that cares, keep the car together, for a guy like you who doesn't care and I take it you don't have a 340 don't discourage the guy because he's not sure or doesn't know.
Really, you think it is discouraging a guy to suggest he upgrades his car?
What are you gonna make him do if his tires wear out, find sound 45 year old NOS ?

If he wants to keep the 340, fine, doesn't bother me one bit, but he came on here asking for opinions and advice, he didn't come on here saying "hey, I got a 340, would someone like to kick me in the teeth"

And as far as the LA blocks go, a 340 is nothing more then a larger version of the 318, and a smaller version of the 360
When starting from scratch, it makes NO sense to choose a 340 over a 360, just like you wouldn't choose a 318 over a 340

We have Lots of customers store their existing engine, and run one of ours so they don't hurt the original.

here's the shortblock someone mentioned they couldn't find.
Shortblock

Here's the long blocks and completes.
Chrysler Compatible Crate Engines

even our iron headed magnum versions make nearly 500 ft lbs...I had one running low 12's before my current 408. Great reliable engine with a 30 month warranty and dyno tested.

any questions let me know, i'll try not to pollute the threat with my self praises :p

Personally I would buy a Scat forged crank rotating assy. Ibeam rods 7/16" bolts Icon forged pistons rings and bearings 1-48013BI
416 cu in 340 block
I found one on ebay for 1935.00 shipped
edelbrock heads, ebay 1440.00 shipped
felpro kit ebay 75.00 shipped
bore the block 300.00 or less
$3750.00 you would have a killer engine
you still need the basics cam, intake, carb, headers, dist and so on
but you need those anyway. This was just a quit look up you might find it cheaper if you look and this is just my opinion.

Just my 2 cents, and maybe a few things to think about
Depending on how original the car is, I'd keep the # matching motor for a few reasons
First off you're giving it to your son, and sure A bodies aren't in big demand now, who knows what the future will bring? And every year that goes past, the fewer original old cars there are.
Back when I was 18 I had a chance to buy a 68 road runner for $800, mom wouldn't co-sign for it(sounded too radical) so I got the 69 mach 1 for the same price, I dare you add another zero and find one for twice that today
Station wagons, old cop cars, even 4 doors are getting a following and becoming desirable
Finally, the day may come when your son would like to put it back to bone stock, and it would be nice to have the original motor sitting in a corner
Lets be honest, what is the value of a random 340 short block today vs a # matching motor 20 years from now?

21976930005_large.jpg

Couldn't disagree more, all original survivor, fully optioned (including tilt telescopic column) 68 dodge Monaco 4 door 383 2 bbl
Was my daily driver(until the drunk totaled it parked in front of the house) and yes that's the window sticker in the rear window, and the identa-card was in the glove box, and that meant a lot to me
Only change was the cop car rims, but kept the original 14 inch rims and hubcaps

Highly sought after and valuable? No. To me? Yes

View attachment 1715264391

Couldn't disagree more, all original survivor, fully optioned (including tilt telescopic column) 68 dodge Monaco 4 door 383 2 bbl
Was my daily driver(until the drunk totaled it parked in front of the house) and yes that's the window sticker in the rear window, and the identa-card was in the glove box, and that meant a lot to me
Only change was the cop car rims, but kept the original 14 inch rims and hubcaps

Highly sought after and valuable? No. To me? Yes

nice ride, sorry to hear it got wrecked

nice ride, sorry to hear it got wrecked

yea broke my heart, even kept it in storage for 5 years in hopes of bringing it back, but then I got the duster, couldn't afford 2 projects and let it go to a junkyard that specialized in C bodies, the tilt telescopic lives on in a 68 polara convertible

-
Back