Critique/suggestions on 273 engine build

-
In the 12's with a 273 and 1966 technology is pretty darn respectable!
toolmanmike

In the 12's with a 273 and 1966 technology is pretty darn respectable!
toolmanmike

It was pretty trick back in the day.

I've got a question for you toolmanmike. I've been collecting articles and info on D/Darts and 273's since the mid 1980's. I've got an article (Cubes of Doom) that was written by Richard Ehrenberg back in early 1995 on a 1967 Dart running a 273. It's best time was 10.86 @ 114. The engine supposedly has a stock crank and stock rods, and it has 11.5:1 TRW pistons, '69 340 "X" heads, Cyclone underchassie headers, 5.50 gears, 904 trans with a Turbo Action 4500 stall converter, original leaf springs with an adjustable pinion snubber.

My question is .... The article says it has a MP 507 cam under one picture and in the article it says it's got a MP 509 cam. It also has a Crane Cam decal on the side of the car. Do you have any info on this/these cams?

Sounds like a sweet combo. My son wants to put a 273 in his 68 Valiant. This combo might fit the bill.

Alan

It was pretty trick back in the day.

I've got a question for you toolmanmike. I've been collecting articles and info on D/Darts and 273's since the mid 1980's. I've got an article (Cubes of Doom) that was written by Richard Ehrenberg back in early 1995 on a 1967 Dart running a 273. It's best time was 10.86 @ 114. The engine supposedly has a stock crank and stock rods, and it has 11.5:1 TRW pistons, '69 340 "X" heads, Cyclone underchassie headers, 5.50 gears, 904 trans with a Turbo Action 4500 stall converter, original leaf springs with an adjustable pinion snubber.

My question is .... The article says it has a MP 507 cam under one picture and in the article it says it's got a MP 509 cam. It also has a Crane Cam decal on the side of the car. Do you have any info on this/these cams?

Sounds like a sweet combo. My son wants to put a 273 in his 68 Valiant. This combo might fit the bill.

Alan
Sounds like to me it was the 508... 507 and 509 aren't listed for small blocks.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mpcam-tech-c.htm#b

I'm sure you're 100% correct Mulli". Most cams especially those described "way back when" were called by their lift specs. Now days with the split lift and duration cams we use part or grind numbers to describe tham. Thanks for the chart of Mopar cams. That's new info for me. I'm savin that link!!!! toolmanmike

Sounds like to me it was the 508... 507 and 509 aren't listed for small blocks.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mpcam-tech-c.htm#b

Thanks for the cam info Mullinax. I definitely will be bookmarking that one -- as soon as I figure out how to do it on Firefox. Been a "forever" AOL user and decided to try something different on the new laptop.

Glad I asked the question..............................

I have to go with the prevailing opinion here. I have a 273 in my 67 fish and it basically sucks. It was a free motor so I figured I'd go cheap and just slap er together and run it. It does run - sorta but has crap for HP. I think I will hunt around for a running 360 for my next engine.

I was thinking of hiding a 360 as the 273 going into my Barracuda... But after seeing the factory manifold on the driver's side... that is a waste of effort. Holy bad manifold, Batman...

I was looking through the glovebox on my 67 fish with a 273, performer, 600 eddie, and found a really neat goody! There was a cam card and a receipt for a custom ground cam from a guy named Roy Chambers. He owned RC Automotive Machine Shop here in Alexandria, Va. just 10 minutes south of DC. For $65 he ground a cam that he labeled the Brute Force that had a duration of 280* and really not much lift ( I think it was .449/.451). Found two big ol' Brute Force by RC stickers also. I really haven't driven the car at all because I've got the seats over at the upholstrey shop. Can't wait to see how it runs!

do not throw away your adjustable rocker from your 273 they will work on any small block with the 340TA pushrods May the force be with you.

I also have a 273.. 1965 Dart GT. Found something odd the other day. They have 225 /6 Darts in the low 13s that beats a 275ph 273 Dart. :/

Im going with a 318 and a HO-340 cam. and an edelbrock air-gap.

-
Back