Cuda SRT8 392 Gen.III Hemi

-
What about synergy green like the new camaro's have? That'll sear retinas, it hasn't been done and it'll contrast with matte black very nicely.

Cuda what master cylinder are you running?

johnparts,
That's an OEM master cylinder for early '80s D150 pickup. The OEM unit is fairly slim and made from aluminum. I had to hunt one down through the Chrysler parts system and buy it from out of state. Otherwise, an aftermarket one is available but much bulkier and made from cast iron..

R Patrol,
I can look into it further and come up with the part number. Give me a day or two to get back with this...

It would help more than one member if you could dig out the p#.

Unfo Jeep stuff isnt a "stock item" in most places in Australia...so we cant just visually inspect them "in store".

Knowing which hose to order will make the Champion radiators Jasonmdister and I are running much more of a direct swap in.

Arco, thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I tend to be very detail oriented. I can't help myself; it's just how I am. Or as my boss says, "it's just how I roll" lol

Ok i have followed this build and I love your attention to detail nice work.

Arco

toplscuda,
That DOES look like the one and I remember it as either a '94 hose or an '04 hose. I'm pretty sure now that it is the '94. If you look at the flared end, I probably cut maybe 1/4" or 1/2" off. The hose makes a 90 degree bend and goes straight for a bit. I cut it off at the end of the straight area and then cut it off to the length I needed for a good fit. The remainder went in the waste can. Forgive me, as I did this maybe two years ago, but that definately brings it all back now...

Looked on rock auto and it just may be for a 94. Does the specs on this one ring a bell
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2828&cc=1180213

What about synergy green like the new camaro's have? That'll sear retinas, it hasn't been done and it'll contrast with matte black very nicely.

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. A neighbor up the street from me has a late model Camaro that color. Looks good, but it's a CHEVY color! lol I just can't put a Chevy color on my Mopar! lol If I went with green, I'd probably go with that Viper Snake Skin Green or the Challenger Green With Envy. They do look good and I enjoy seeing them on those cars, but I just can't get into green for some reason. I've never bought a green car. Just one of those personal preferences kind of things.

Lately, my wife has been bringing up the late model Hemi Orange color. She's never expressed interest in that before. It's going to be on the color palet I'm putting together, so I'll see how it looks against the other "contenders"...

For you guys interested in that Jeep hose I'm using, keep in mind it may not work, depending on your radiator outlet location in relation to the center of the car. My whole main point was more to explain what I did to find a hose that works; to point out the resources available to you that you might not have known about. Be creative and willing to start with a hose that looks nowhere near correct for your need, but with some cutting and trimming, you have what you need...

toplscuda,
That DOES look like the one and I remember it as either a '94 hose or an '04 hose. I'm pretty sure now that it is the '94. If you look at the flared end, I probably cut maybe 1/4" or 1/2" off. The hose makes a 90 degree bend and goes straight for a bit. I cut it off at the end of the straight area and then cut it off to the length I needed for a good fit. The remainder went in the waste can. Forgive me, as I did this maybe two years ago, but that definately brings it all back now...

That makes perfect sense.

I did some searching and I can get one locally.........for $55!!!

I can get one shipped from Amazon US for $28 inc shipping.

No wonder our local businesses are whining about the Internet.

Another trick I've used to find a hose is to take some flexible choke stove hose/piping and pull/bend it to fit the car. I'm talking about the aluminum foil type stuff. It stays in whatever shape you pull/bend it into. Once bent to the shape you need, take it down to a "cooperative" auto parts who is willing to let you go in the back room and look up at all the hoses that are usually hanging on hooks back there. Watch for a hose that has at least some portion of it that matches the shape of your foil hose. You may have to cut one end off or the other, or you may have to cut both ends off to end up with the middle section that matches your foil hose. Works like a charm. It's an old street rod builders' trick that I've used many times...

Here's a shot of a stock trans tunnel and then a shot of my tunnel after I modified it for good clearance to the Tremec 5 speed. The current shape and clearance allows me to to lower the body down over the engine/trans at install time, but I was able to retain the horizontal portions of the original crossmember. I'm hoping that if I ever need to switch to an automatic trans w/overdrive (old age comes faster than you expect) that it will fit in there without more modification other than the lower crossmember...

Attachments

• Trans tunnel 01.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Trans tunnel 02.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,131
Here's a shot of a stock trans tunnel and then a shot of my tunnel after I modified it for good clearance to the Tremec 5 speed. The current shape and clearance allows me to to lower the body down over the engine/trans at install time, but I was able to retain the horizontal portions of the original crossmember. I'm hoping that if I ever need to switch to an auto trans w/overdrive (old age comes faster than you expect) that it will fit in there without more modification other than the crossmember...

That looks bigger than my first apartment. Looks great, nice how you were able to keep the same horizontal positions.

Here's a shot of a stock trans tunnel and then a shot of my tunnel after I modified it for good clearance to the Tremec 5 speed. The current shape and clearance allows me to to lower the body down over the engine/trans at install time, but I was able to retain the horizontal portions of the original crossmember. I'm hoping that if I ever need to switch to an auto trans w/overdrive (old age comes faster than you expect) that it will fit in there without more modification other than the crossmember...

THAT is impressive work!

Thanks much for the compliments you guys. People had mentioned my "attention to detail". It's true, I do think in detail, too much some times. Here's a couple of examples of things I've done that to me, make a difference and I can't help but do it. Unfortunately, this kind of misc. detail sure adds up to a lot of time. I wouldn't (or couldn't lol) have it any other way though.

The first shot is my hydraulic clutch master cyl. coming through the firewall. The makers / sellers of this stuff just tell you to drill some holes and bolt it in. I could not imagine doing so without some reinforcement. I cut / contoured some 3/16 steel and plug welded it in from the inside. It has threaded holes for the master so it can just bolt in without any nuts.

The second shot shows a little detail that NOBODY would normally notice. When I cut the long, oval shaped through-hole for my ECM plug, I litteraly cut and sectioned the reinforcement rib and welded it back in above the hole. Again, my intent has always been to make this conversion look like it's not a conversion, but rather factory designed and engineered. Minor, even trivial little things that most people will never even notice.

Besides the heater area mods, does anyone notice a subtle, but fairly substantial change I made toward modernization?

Attachments

• Clutch rein..JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,101
  • firewall 00.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,100
The wiper motor area has been changed. I'm planning to hide the wiper motor under the dash. Which motor are you planning to use?

Riddler

I would also be interested in what type wiper motor you will be using. I also noticed that you filled in the square hole that held the original wiring harness. What about the hole for the factory gas pedal? Will you use that for something else? Very nice work! :prayer:

Yeah Riddler, I've seen them hidden before too. My intent though was never to remove everything out of the engine compartment as you see done on some of the really cool old street rods out there. I want to avoid giving my car that "super clean street rod" look. I just wanted to clean the engine compartment up a bit from original. Remove just some of the clutter so it still looks "factory", yet it's not. I like the real subtle stuff. (yeah, like a Gen3 Hemi in a '69 could ever be subtle LOL) By your drawing, a hidden one will add a nice touch because your car looks much more "custom" than mine will.

In this case, today's technology allows that with smaller wiper motors that do more than the old, big ones. If you look at my earlier posts of the engine, you'll see the smaller motor I found at a swap meet. It's a Trico brand, but I haven't found an "application" or part number yet. It looks similar in design to the original, big, old, clunky '69 unit but this thing has multiple speeds, intermittant and it fits real nice. From what I remember, the original '69 unit did clear the 6.1 intake manifold, but not by much. This one gives much better clearance.

I also didn't want to vacate the original location because I didn't want to leave that big indentation in the firewall that the factory would not have put there if there wasn't a need for it. I would have had to re-shape the firewall even more than I have already and I was at the point where I decided I'm DONE with the mods, I just want to get my car on the road.

The wiper motor area has been changed. I'm planning to hide the wiper motor under the dash. Which motor are you planning to use?

Riddler

JD, the big square hole for the harness connector was no longer needed because of the ISIS system I have. Unless something else comes up, my only wiring penetrations throught the firewall will be the ECM connector/harness and a 10quage wire from the ISIS micro processor to the front power module. I'll probably use an aftermarket gas pedal, but it will still use the same gas pedal holes and use a cable, as my throttle body is cable driven rather than drive-by-wire. Thanks much for the compliments. (I'm not use to all the compliments except from just a couple of close friends who have seen the car.)

I would also be interested in what type wiper motor you will be using. I also noticed that you filled in the square hole that held the original wiring harness. What about the hole for the factory gas pedal? Will you use that for something else? Very nice work! :prayer:

RJ, U-pol was on the top of my radar screen, so your input nudged me to go ahead and buy a bottle to experiment with. I opened it and it looks like pretty cool stuff. The one counter guy I trust at the paint store said I can thin it with regular urethane paint thinner, but only a little bit. I found a variable spray tip shutz gun that I need to order, then I'll start experimenting on some scrap sheet metal to see if I can get the finish texture I'm looking for. Will post it up when I achieve it. Thanks for the nudge, I think Raptor is going to give me the effect I am looking for...

U-pol Raptor liner.......easy spray out, tough coating, not overly textured.

I went back to post 118 in this thread, and saw the wiper motor. It's a lot smaller, and looks nice. Have you gotten far enough along to have clocked the arm from the motor to the linkage? Hopefully it wasn't too much of a pain. I really like the fresh air box in that pic also. Is it a custom, or something you purchased? I had hopes of doing something like that in my 70 Duster that I'm installing a 5.7 Hemi in. I've got a thread somewhere down thru here titles TTI spool mounts vs AC compressor. I'm currently at the point where I took the sawzall to the floor pan to install the 545RFE.

I was looking through my pictures and found this shot which explains the angled corner of my custom oil pan. I'm pretty obsessed with having proper clearances in all respects of this build, hence the custom pan with these special angles to clear a couple of header tubes...

Attachments

• Oil pan clearance.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,053
JD,
I dug out my linkage and didn't get too involved at the time, but it seemed to fit up well and it appeared there will be no problem when it comes to final assembly.

The fresh air box I made out of ABS plastic sheets and some ABS pipe from Home Depot. I cut out vertical sections of the pipe and placed them in a couple of corners to give clearance in a couple of spots and to keep it from looking like a plain box. It has a K&N cone style filter inside. I have a special painting technique I'll apply to give it a very slight texture to mimick a stock, plastic OEM air box (again trying to give the overall engine compartment an OEM look). Would love to see some progress pics of your ride. What/where can I find it?

I went back to post 118 in this thread, and saw the wiper motor. It's a lot smaller, and looks nice. Have you gotten far enough along to have clocked the arm from the motor to the linkage? Hopefully it wasn't too much of a pain. I really like the fresh air box in that pic also. Is it a custom, or something you purchased? I had hopes of doing something like that in my 70 Duster that I'm installing a 5.7 Hemi in. I've got a thread somewhere down thru here titles TTI spool mounts vs AC compressor. I'm currently at the point where I took the sawzall to the floor pan to install the 545RFE.

OK, so SOMEWHERE I have the tag/label from my upper hose, but cannot find it. It will surface someday. In the meantime, I did a bunch of research. Here is a pick of the hose. It is a Good Year 60903 . Turns out the application for this hose is a '99 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 6cyl.

I went back to the auto parts where I bought my hose (a few years ago) and they have switched to Gates hoses. Damn! I ordered up the equivalent Gates hose and it did not look like the Goodyear hose. Didn't look like it would work at all, other than the flared end. Damn!

This is the best I can do for you guys at this point. I am going to pursue getting another Good Year hose as an extra for the future. If I am successful, I can take a picture of the stock hose next to my cut down hose and also let y'all know where I got the new one.

If anyone else is able to find one, I'd love to know where you got it and if it also works for you.

R Patrol,
I can look into it further and come up with the part number. Give me a day or two to get back with this...

Attachments

• GTR-60903.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 978
Gates 22900 is the same application...Rock auto has a complete list.

Thx for your efforts OJ..I'll if my supplier can source one Ill take back the '94 hose.

-
Back