custom door panels

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
well,i decided i wanted something truly custom for my dart,and since i already had the paint,i came up with a brain storm for my interior,I made these door panels out of plexiglass,sanded the textured kick panels smooth,and went at it today with the paint gun and tape.Heres what i came up with so far.Fit is perfect,will be held on by the armrest in the middle,with velcro around the edges,goes with the paint scheme im putting on my car,and will never rot away!lol For the folks who like custom stuff(purists get lost) tell me what you think.I might decide to start making these to sale one day,if there is enough interest in them.

dart door panels 004.jpg

dart door panels 005.jpg

dart door panels 006.jpg

dart door panels 007.jpg

dart door panels 008.jpg

dart door panels 009.jpg

dart door panels 010.jpg

speaker shelf,MAYBE the headliner,if i can find a big enough piece of pelxiglass.Im planning on fiberglassing the dash pad,and painting it too,so just about every thing inside will be painted,except the seats and carpet,and what ever is chrome,lol.The outside is still being pieced together,the car didnt have a front clip when i bought it,and im also making a front spoiler,still a long way togo there,and modifying a dart sprt hood scoop.Out side of car will be sismilar to my avatar when done

fiberglass work 002.jpg

fiberglass work 001.jpg

fiberglass work 003.jpg

nice maybe some custom speaker mounts hmmm businees buddy haha

speaker shelf,MAYBE the headliner,if i can find a big enough piece of pelxiglass.Im planning on fiberglassing the dash pad,and painting it too,so just about every thing inside will be painted,except the seats and carpet,and what ever is chrome,lol.The outside is still being pieced together,the car didnt have a front clip when i bought it,and im also making a front spoiler,still a long way togo there,and modifying a dart sprt hood scoop.Out side of car will be sismilar to my avatar when done
do some body work and put some paint on that damn thing. its cruel to let it sit like that and to think about showing people. its unsanitary, cruel. unusual.
put some cop wheels on that thing with dog dish hubcaps

Nice work. Wish I had similar tape and paint skills.
Now for the downside...
Bright/bold colored surroundings screw with the subconcious.
You will likely feel strangely uncomfortable after a short time spent in the car.

WOW!!! That looks awesome. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see them installed.

FWIW - For the headliner, the only thing I've ever seen done like that was when a car was on a rotissorie. They flipped the car over and made a fiberglass cast of the inner roof and then used that as a mould. Not sure how well a piece of plexi glass will work, there's a lot going on in the roof line that I don't think plexi will flex enough for unless you weld in some tack strips that go between the roof bows and screw the sucker down every few inches. Even then, you'd really want to be doing this facing down rather than looking up.

sweet toby.. I cant wait to get mine.... I'm gonna send you my front and rear door panels, kick panels but I dont have a dash tray to send u..... I'm sure u can figure out the measurements off urs... man I'm really stoked

i saw the new repro plastic headliners for the 73 and newer darts,i can get one of those,sand it smooth,prime,sand,prime sand,etc,etc,and paint it shiny,with some graphics that will match what im gonna do to the hood

toby
Those look great! A very different and original idea I like it .
That car will be awesome !!!

Wow! That is really cool and definitely unique. Great job and keep us updated. My painting skills suck and I admire those who can this kind of work.

i saw the new repro plastic headliners for the 73 and newer darts,i can get one of those,sand it smooth,prime,sand,prime sand,etc,etc,and paint it shiny,with some graphics that will match what im gonna do to the hood

toby, do u have a link for those 73 headliners? I wonder if they will snap right into place?

do some body work and put some paint on that damn thing. its cruel to let it sit like that and to think about showing people. its unsanitary, cruel. unusual.
put some cop wheels on that thing with dog dish hubcaps

And what the hell is that thing in your avatar lol

They look really good. Did you paint the inside of the plexiglass or is that on the outside with clear over it? Are you going to continue the strip on the back panel and just go with the black on the bottom or are you going to put some flames back there? Pretty fancy stuff, keep up the good work.

there wont be any flames back there,they were a last minuet idea,lol.I will find the link to the head liner,i know they are like @$275.00 but smooth paint looks so much better than a fake vinyl plastic look to me.It will still last longer than any fabric or vinyl material you could ever use.

Darn Toby you may be on to something. you could use different colors of plexiglass and airbrush designs of the buyers choice

8) Its nice to have my work appreciated for once,lol.I cant wait to get the rest of the car looking like the door panels

Looks great, did you paint the back side?

painting Plexiglass will scratch easy hope it holds up like you think. If you painted the front I would suggest putting Clear 3 M rock gaurd on the plexiglass

As far as what someone posted about getting tired of it, I doubt it too. If it was a daily driver it might but for a cruiser, it is a real eye grabber for you and others checking your car out

I love my Prowler dash and door panels

0000catdash.jpg

painted dash in my Prowler

0000doorpanel.jpg

My custom door panel in my 67 Dart

0000catdash.jpg

0000doorpanel.jpg

-
Back