Customer bought an eBay Range Rover sight unseen

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Wow. The breadth and depth of people's stupidity continues to amaze me as always. We got a 2001 Land Rover Range Rover towed in yesterday because "the transmission is slipping. It has no acceleration." We find out that the daughter is her at a christian college and dad is in South Carolina. He bought the vehicle sight unseen from a Florida eBay guy and had it shipped to Minnesota for his daughter. He told me the guy said it was a great vehicle and he never had any problems or repairs on it. I get in and it barely moves it is running so bad. The check engine light is not on. We get it in and we see the heads are brand new. Clean and not a speck of dirt or oil on them. We pull codes and there are 18 codes - and of course the light is not capable of working. I find a physically broken mass airflow sensor. I tell the guy that he was lied to and I needed to start with the known problem, clear the codes and drive it. Also I need to pull the cluster and see if the bulb is burned out or gone. The mass airflow makes it run like it should but I get the O2 codes back. The cluster has two seals on it that are broken. I take it apart and find 5 pieces of cardboard stuffed down the tube leading to the SES light. How can you buy any car - let alone a Range Rover sight unseen. With towing, diagnostics, a mass airflow sensor, dash cluster removal / repair and all four oxygen sensors he is upwards of $1800. It would have paid to have hired someone to look at the vehicle first. I hope this is a lesson learned for this guy.

Anyone that buys a Land Rover deserves whatever they get.

2 minutes on the internet will show that the entire product line has been garbage for over a decade. There is a reason that these things lose 80%+ of there value over 5 years.

A friend of mine is a Senior Rover Technician at "Land Rover of Portland". He says the Freelander is quite possibly the worst vehicle ever made.

Ebay... It happens all the time. Depending on how long he had it there is an eBay protection gaurentee if that vehicle qualified. He might want to check in to it and see what it is all about or is a bunch of nothing.

"This vehicle is eligible for up to $50,000 in Vehicle Purchase Protection when your transaction is completed online through eBay. To qualify you must be the winning bidder on an auction or click the Buy It Now button directly on the eBay site. Restrictions Apply."

7. In addition, the VPP also provides protection against certain undisclosed damage for vehicles that are less than 10 years old (10 year threshold is based on model year): The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000. For vehicles in the Boats (engine and hull only), Buses, Commercial Trucks, and RVs & Campers categories, the cost of the undisclosed engine, body, transmission, or frame damage must exceed $1,500. Race Cars are not eligible for this protection. Vehicles that are subject to a recall for this type of damage are not eligible for VPP.
pix.gif

This is only Land Rover I ever liked.

Attachments

• Land Rover.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 339
..................and 20--20 just had a story last night on how useless CarFax is.

"Get your vehicle inspected by a local mechanic."

Why on earth would something as mundane as a rover thingie need to be shipped clear across the country?

Sounds like his daughter needs a "car guy" boyfriend.

He paid $4500 for a 12 year old lemon. It has (supposedly) 70,000 miles on it. He told me he bought it because he wanted a good car for his daughter. I didn't want to kick him while he was down and tell him it's a POS. My advice is to fix it and sell it and take his lumps. Also, if anything is in writing about it not having any problems he may have a case to pursue internet fraud.

Car Fax - a HUGE joke. I don't know of any shops that report to it. My wife looked at a Camry and the dealer said it hadn't been in an accident. I had it on the hoist and showed him pieces that were still bent and broken and he still insisted that it couldn't have been in an accident because Car Fax said it hadn't. I asked him if the factory made bent headlight brackets and broken housings standard on these cars or if it was an option. He didn't get it.

I asked him if the factory made bent headlight brackets and broken housings standard on these cars or if it was an option. He didn't get it.

Most folk aren't fluent in sarcasm these days.

From what I've heard about the Rover line, I'm not sure if I would buy one while looking at it, let alone sight unseen.

I asked him if the factory made bent headlight brackets and broken housings standard on these cars or if it was an option. He didn't get it.

Most folk aren't fluent in sarcasm these days.

From what I've heard about the Rover line, I'm not sure if I would buy one while looking at it, let alone sight unseen.

It's a skill to carefully craft your sarcasm so people that think they are smarter than everyone else won't get it! :) As the dumber group, according to the smarty, laugh their asses off around you.

The know everythings that bring stuff back because it doesn't work... meanwhile, still neatly folded in a sealed packet from the factory, the instructions are still undisturbed and neatly folded.

Range Rover are a great implement for tooling yuppies out of cash...

Yeah, if you buy Range Rover, you may as well just set up an escrow account with your repair shop! LOL

I bought an eBay Cuda sight unseen (sold by FABO member) knowing that even if it needed a new engine and/or trans, I would still love it (and I still do!). But, I am not the usual eBayer, as I can strip and rebuild the entire car on my own.

That said when you go to pick up the eBay bought car, you'd better make a careful inspection of it before you hand over the cash. It still is "buyer beware"!

Yeah, if you buy Range Rover, you may as well just set up an escrow account with your repair shop! LOL

I bought an eBay Cuda sight unseen (sold by FABO member) knowing that even if it needed a new engine and/or trans, I would still love it (and I still do!). But, I am not the usual eBayer, as I can strip and rebuild the entire car on my own.

That said when you go to pick up the eBay bought car, you'd better make a careful inspection of it before you hand over the cash. It still is "buyer beware"!

I agree, but he never picked it up. Bought sight unseen from his computer in South Carolina, packed and shipped by the seller in Florida to his college aged daughter in Minnesota. No one saw it until the daughter picked it up and it ran bad from the very start. Bad deal all around.

Oooopsie,...My son's boss gave him a 96 Range Rover,...for free...Cost him 80 bucks in gas just to get it here from NYC to my house,....about a hundred miles.

I started a thread on the repairs it needed, cause It showed up in my driveway and didn't leave till he spent a grand in parts and I worked on it for 5 weeks,...

I'm not sure which is dumber,....buying a car sight onseen or buying a Range Rover,...

One thing is for sure,...Ain't nothin free about a Free Range Rover...

Dumbass got what was coming to him...Princess/Diva/daughter probably talked him into it. Why else wouldnt he go look at a car where he lives and ship it to Princess?? I hope he doesnt learn his lesson, and gets bit again.

Dumbass got what was coming to him...Princess/Diva/daughter probably talked him into it. Why else wouldnt he go look at a car where he lives and ship it to Princess?? I hope he doesnt learn his lesson, and gets bit again.
I agree completely, maybe he'd like to buy one of my mopars for twice what they're worth. :)

My wife and I, just for sh*ts and grins, test drove a Land Rover Freelander a couple years ago. That thing was so cheaply put together it made a Yugo look classy! And don't even ask about the performance, because there was none. We took it back to the place selling it, and the guy had the nerve to ask me what we thought. I looked the salesman right in the eye and told him it drove like it had a fat ***!

His first mistake.....

It's stupidity mixed with greed. Thinking you're slick and you can save a bunch of money is a form of greed, I think.

Originally Posted by Mopar to ya:
He bought the vehicle sight unseen from a Florida eBay guy.....

His first mistake.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar to ya:
How can you buy any car - let alone a Range Rover sight unseen.

It's stupidity mixed with greed. Thinking you're slick and you can save a bunch of money is a form of greed, I think.

I agree with both of those Cudavert!

And I'd like to add LAZYNESS to that too. Too lazy to go out and physically look for a car. But it's fine to sit on your but in your underwear in front of a computer and buy an old used car.

My dad bought his 2000 Excursion powerstroke sight unseen on Ebay. Was extremely leery about it, asked a huge number of questions about its history, and was quite nervous about getting it. We had it shipped from Cali with 200K miles on it and were hoping for the best. We got a great truck. Beautiful interior, exterior, runs like a dream. The water pump is new, had to replace the alternator a couple times, the rear window seal leaks for reasons we still can't explain, he had to fix the O/D on/off switch on the column, and the passenger side glow plug bank doesn't work. But we've had absolutely no problems with it what so ever other than those few things. And all of those are age related. We got lucky.

Maybe this guy was selling the RR... Trust me!!!

joe-isuzu_100177622_m.jpg
Hey now, Isuzu trucks are some of the best import trucks in the world!

Their 90's car line, though, wasn't that great...

Back to the original point, though.... Guy's got more money than brains. Let's just hope he learned a lesson... At least he picked the best mechanic for the job, though.... If anyone can get that piece of **** running right, it's an A-body-owning mechanic. ;)

- CK

-
Back