Cutting open a torque converter

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
Opinions wanted on cutting open a old torque converter to use the ring gear section to bolt to the flex plate on an engine run in stand.
I don't have an 8 bolt flywheel to use to start the engine so I was thinking of using the torque converter???

Thank You!!

The only issue is balancing. I BELIEVE (could be wrong) but aren't 360s externally balanced? If this is the case you could throw off the balance of your brand new motor. To state the obvious this would be bad.

If the converter is neutrally balanced and you to carefully cut apart it might be okay.

I think the better / simpler choice is to find a used flywheel, or a toothed flex plate.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Just take a torch and cut about 1" above the ring gear and remove the top and empty it out. The face plate area should be plenty strong enough to do what you are looking to accomplish. Leave the 1" margine there for added strength.

The only issue is balancing. I BELIEVE (could be wrong) but aren't 360s externally balanced? If this is the case you could throw off the balance of your brand new motor. To state the obvious this would be bad.

If the converter is neutrally balanced and you to carefully cut apart it might be okay.

I think the better / simpler choice is to find a used flywheel, or a toothed flex plate.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

He will defintly need the correct flywheel for his application, 360 or 318 specific.

thought the started bolted to the tranny, guess your building a fixture for that also

I would consider doing this...................with reservations.

BALANCE. By cutting up the converter, you've destroyed any "balance" situation anyway, AS YOU HAVE JUST massively changed the rotating mass. Besides, you sure as 'ell aren't gonna get "that thing" balanced again, anyhow.

CONCERN. Unless you are using a heavier, aftermarket flex, I'd be a little leery. You have removed a large amount of support for the converter, and are now pretty much relying on the 4 attachment bolts.

After all, they do call these a "flex plate."

On the other hand, I assume you won't be turning this up 7K, or will ya? If all you want to do is run it, check it out, break in the cam, probably will be fine.

I'm lucky. I still have the scattershield and flywheel out of the old FJ-40

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Pretty sure QuickTime/Lakewood makes a toothed flexplate....

Torque convertors are built on a zero balance platform, that is why they weld on a weight for use with a 360. The front facing plate that the ring gear is welded too on a mopar T/Q is very strong, the actual body shell is there to house fluid as the rotating parts need the input shaft of the trans to support them and keep them centered. Once the body is cut open and all parts removed you are basicly left with a ring gear, that by design would be stronger then a typical chevy ring gear / flexplate. Honestly I see no danger in doing what he is trying to accomplish.

Well either a Mopar TC or a Chev setup is supported more rigidly by the time it's "all bolted together" in the engine / trans. My concern is, that once you cut it apart, really, the only thing keeping things from flexing is the 4 bolts on the original flexplate. I do realize the TC has a centering pilot.

In the end, though, I tend to agree with you, but I'm not sure you "want" any 8K rpm with that thing.

-
Back