Cylinder Head Porting and Power Production

-
Have you ever wondered why? And yet guys like Dan Smith makes so much power with ported OEM heads that everyone throws away to buy after market heads?

If cylinder head flow is everything then why does Dan's engine make what it makes with less? Does anyone ever ask why? Is his engine just a fluke of nature or the exception to the rule. Why does he only run 28 degrees total timing?

Why Why Why.......

Umm are you aware of the very reason I started this thread? J.Rob

Have you ever wondered why? And yet guys like Dan Smith makes so much power with ported OEM heads that everyone throws away to buy after market heads?

If cylinder head flow is everything then why does Dan's engine make what it makes with less? Does anyone ever ask why? Is his engine just a fluke of nature or the exception to the rule. Why does he only run 28 degrees total timing?

Why Why Why.......
Ask Dan Smith. I’m sure he will have the answers u seek. That is if he is willing to share them. Kim

Why Why Why.......

Heck! I’m game! Why?

Most guys go aftermarket for a weight saving around 50lbs., better porting potential and a nice looking head for only a few hundred bucks more.

He's making so much power he doesn't need the weight savings.......

He doesn't need W2's to make power.

He doesn't need W2's to make power.
Never said he did.
But the way I’m reading that is he is making more power than the W2. Head material aside, we all know it is the port itself and the targeted goal that is in mind.

When you defend this guys use of an iron head, why is it he is using an iron head? Rules of the class?

I bet if the question was put to him, he would opt. for the aluminum for the weight savings because 50lbs. is just that much less to move down the track. If the general thumb of rule is upheld here, 100lbs. equals how much time? Yea.... I thought so.

I figured u would come back with a smart *** answer. Just goes to show ur not as smart as u think u r. Ur just looking for an argument or 2. Kim
I agree and already shut him down.
Anything else is just argument seeking.
I’m sure he’ll be back with another Stella answer and/reason to continue.

I figured u would come back with a smart *** answer. Just goes to show ur not as smart as u think u r. Ur just looking for an argument or 2. Kim

Did you bother to think about why he would run 28 degrees total on a head everyone runs 36 on?

Did you bother to think about why he would run 28 degrees total on a head everyone runs 36 on?

I don't even know who you are talking about but I bet the heads are welded/milled to feature a very small compact chamber for starters. I have also seen incorrect balancer markings and timing light errors and ive seen many that think they know how to read timing lights but really don't. I've also seen more than one small block Ford wearing a certain head that makes best power at 24 deg total. Do you know why a G3 head makes best power in the low 20,s sometimes 18,s? I do. J.Rob

I don't even know who you are talking about but I bet the heads are welded/milled to feature a very small compact chamber for starters. I have also seen incorrect balancer markings and timing light errors and ive seen many that think they know how to read timing lights but really don't. I've also seen more than one small block Ford wearing a certain head that makes best power at 24 deg total. Do you know why a G3 head makes best power in the low 20,s sometimes 18,s? I do. J.Rob
Whoever will bite so he can argue. Kim

Here from the article I posted that you didn't bother to read:

"Those early applications demonstrated how well-managed tract turbulence accommodates extra-lean air/fuel mixtures, and how swirl can improve combustion quality to reduce a mixture's sensitivity to detonation. The more mixture activity that occurs, the better the fuel remains in suspension and the better the mixture burns. The faster a fuel burns, the less ignition timing is required to produce equal power. And because wet fuel doesn't burn, or burns unevenly at best, swirl helps create and maintain a fully atomized air/fuel mixture"

Its obvious he has a very efficient chamber and well vaporized mixture. To hazard a guess the flame front doesn't have far to travel to only need 28 degree. You don't burn the air and the better the mixture at time of ignition the more force is applied to the crank. Nothing to do with more air.

I can’t imagine what the cost is to have/buy a set of his heads. I wouldn’t want them anyway. Kim

Yeah his heads are real exotic. have a look for yourself:

360 cast head porting
KIMG0146_zps128sejh8.jpg

KIMG0149_zpszajen48c.jpg

Now look at this very Exotic chamber
KIMG0145_zps7minmxaf.jpg

Expect to waste a week and a half to get a pair of heads to this level. This set going on a 353 c.i. engine, formerly a 318, and will make 500+ HP. About $1600 to get a set ready to bolt on like these, set up for a flat tappet cam. This set is also set up for 5/16" LS1 valves. About the cost of a set of edelbrocks that will need a $600 port job to be as good.

Yeah his heads are real exotic. have a look for yourself:

360 cast head porting
View attachment 1715676915
View attachment 1715676916
Now look at this very Exotic chamber
View attachment 1715676917

Expect to waste a week and a half to get a pair of heads to this level. This set going on a 353 c.i. engine, formerly a 318, and will make 500+ HP. About $1600 to get a set ready to bolt on like these, set up for a flat tappet cam. This set is also set up for 5/16" LS1 valves. About the cost of a set of edelbrocks that will need a $600 port job to be as good.
They do look awesome. Kim

They do look awesome. Kim

Yes but nothing exotic. An Honest question Kimmer. Where did your presumption come from to think that they needed to be Exotic to make power?

I’d like to see some proof of a high swirl head being better and a explanation of why. Hysterics pictured post above doesn’t show anything exotic or trick to me. I’d also like to know what piston and work done to the piston that this head covers along with the compression ratio and cam used. Or just simply, the rest of the engine.

I disagree on a $600 port job on a aluminum head to equal these heads.

The one thing I learned early on is there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

And you say he makes power?
What is this power?

-
Back