D64 / A dual quad Edelbrock (and other intakes)

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up from a member out in Cali.
I had intrest in a dual plane dual quad intake. But this one is for the earlier 273, small intake bolt and odd angle.
I'll have to find something to measure the angle with later, but you can see it easy enuff. And the smaller hole as well.

The port size is a dead on (OK, really close) match for the intake gaskets surplied in the MoPar gasket kit. The 318 intake gaskets are the metal ones.

Heres just some shots I took today. I'd like to think on tihs later.....on makeing it fit.

100_0837.jpg

100_0838.jpg

100_0840.jpg

100_0839.jpg

100_0841.jpg

100_0844.jpg

100_0847.jpg

100_0846.jpg

100_0848.jpg

I'll list up some interesting measurements I took.

(OH!, The intake sat on top of the above pictured 360 well enuff. Intake bolt angle is the issue.)

Port window diamentions (Ruffly preety close);
Pictured in order below;
D64 - 1X2-1/4
TorkerII & RPM - 1X2-3/16
Holley strip Dominator & LD340 - 101/8 X 2-1/4 (And you wondered why those two intakes kick ***! Theres a good start!)
Can anybody measure up a Offy Port-o-sonic?

D64 side shot.jpg

Gasket match on Torker II.jpg

Gasket match on RPM air gap.jpg

Gasket match on Holley Strip Dominator.jpg

Gasket match on LD-340.jpg

port-o-sonic top.jpg

Yes, I got it just to screw around. I get bored and I just wanna swap stuff out along with a cam or head just to see how it will go.....or not.

I'll down load some more pictures later. Dead batterys and such...

Other almost interesting factoids of the D64 are;

Height; rear to front, approx. 5-11/16 - 4 inchs.
Throttle bores, 1-11/16 each, plus or minus a 64th.

Now the odd part, I put an angle finder on the sides of the intake and came up with different angles vs. the othere intakes.

I thne used a bolt to see the angle of which the intake to head bolt go in at. The numbers came up as 68* left side, 32* right side. (drivers)
The other late model "LA" intakes were + or - a degree on or about 45*

When I sat the intake down on a 360 headed 360, it seem to align up well, by way of looks, I'd have no problem bolting it down and feeling OK with it. hough the angle finder now tells me differently. I may have a problem with it?

I found a brand new one of those intakes, and put it on my little stroker 340 last year.
I had to do the port work, like your picture shows, but it seems to run really good.
Of course the LD 340, is probably going to go back on it, just to do to the street manners.

D66 installed.jpg

Nice. I am so glad you posted up that picture.
Sweet valve cover too!

Now, that is a D64 on the engine or a D66?

just got to think about it, whats the bolt angel on those old odd heads? and whats the angel on the "normal heads" ?

hemied - I like the way you put the 340 emblems on the valve covers. What valve covers are those?

I remember being the yard one time and taking a 273 intake and setting it on a 318, what I found was a gap at the bottom[i think] from the intake having a diff face angle.

weird...

if thats the case, then remove the heads, mill them with no int face correction mill and then mill the intake [at the the right face angle] then drill the bolt angle you need.

at least you pick up a lil cyl pressure in the process.
though if the face angle is good.. just get out the lil carbide bit and fix it.

I started to take pictures and ran outta battery power. Went into the house and found no batteries. I'll post some pictures later. (Busy day ahead of me today.)

The attachiong bolt angle isdifferent for sure. I put a angle finder on the intake and came up with some weird numbers.

All wil be posted later, early tonight.

rumble

my Offy Port-O-Sonic port windows are 1 x 2-3/16

my Offy 360* (divided single plane) port windows are 1-1/16 x 2-3/16

Subscribed!!!

I am still trying to find out all the particulars with bolting a 273 intake onto a mid 70's 360. If all I have to do is ream out some bolt holes that will be no problem. No one seems to have a 100% clear answer so far.

JR. I will. It might take alittle time, but I will.

rumble

my Offy Port-O-Sonic port windows are 1 x 2-3/16

my Offy 360* (divided single plane) port windows are 1-1/16 x 2-3/16

Thanks! You wouldn't have a few pictures to post would ya?
Can you do it later.

Subscribed!!!

I am still trying to find out all the particulars with bolting a 273 intake onto a mid 70's 360. If all I have to do is ream out some bolt holes that will be no problem. No one seems to have a 100% clear answer so far.

i think if i have understood it all right that the "pads" that the bolts sit against on the intake may be machined at a diferent angle also, i bet that could be adjusted with a mil quickly, hope im right on this

On the attaching bolt angle, I see a problem.
On the intake face to head angle, I don't (yet) see a problem.
Mating surface's seem OK, on the quick look, to me. I tried to get up close on it without blurring the shot. The intake seems to sit down on the head well, though a bit low.

Head gaskets installed as well as (Though you can't see them,) OE style metal intake gaskets.

100_0869.jpg

100_0871.jpg

100_0872.jpg

100_0874.jpg

100_0875.jpg

100_0876.jpg

100_0877.jpg

100_0879.jpg

Heres the D64 sitting on top of the 360. Notice how the intake sits and is about exactly the same as the LD340 below.

I moved both intakes back on the long block to get a look under it, kind of.
You can kind of see the intake bolt boss' angles.
D64 top, LD340 below, pictures 2 & 3.

100_0920.jpg

100_0919.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0918.jpg

So whats the plan with this intake Rumble ? 360 ?

Also wondering about CFM numbers for the 2 carbs. 2 500's ?

Anybody have any performance numbers with this intake,vs other intakes ?
ie: Six-pak,Air-Gap,LD340,etc.

Definately has the WoW factor !

So whats the plan with this intake Rumble ? 360 ?
Plan PLAN! LOL, the plan is....screw around with crap till I'm bored. Haven't gotten bored in 22 years of doin stupid intake swaps and running a bigger cams and...etc....
I got it just to screw around with.

Also wondering about CFM numbers for the 2 carbs. 2 500's ?
Those happen to be 625 Carter emission carbs. They'll run and run fine.

Anybody have any performance numbers with this intake,vs other intakes ?
ie: Six-pak,Air-Gap,LD340,etc.
Performance numbers as in....?

Plan PLAN! LOL, the plan is....screw around with crap till I'm bored. Haven't gotten bored in 22 years of doin stupid intake swaps and running a bigger cams and...etc....
I got it just to screw around with.

Those happen to be 625 Carter emission carbs. They'll run and run fin

Performance numbers as in....?

As in the dual 4 bbl vs the single 4bbl.

Also,seems like a ton of carb (cfm's) for a small block. Guess its all in the jetting/tunning.

Yes, it is. You can put as much CFM on top of any engine so long as it is jetted right, it'll run.

The big issue is if it is to much CFM and you use to much pedal down low, it'll run sluggish. The more overkill on cfm, the more sluggish it will run. I have in the past used a 800 cfm carb on a stock 318. Once jetted in, it would roll down the blockl. Kids on bicycles were faster than I was otta the hole, but it ran. (Thank the Lord that didn't last but 2 weeks!)

OH, I wanted to add, if the go pedal gets floored and the engine can not use it, the carb doesn't have enuff pump shot to cover the dead flat spot, it'll just stall. So, a slow pedal effort must be used. And that's just a crappy deal.

If all that CFM is to be used...properly, it has to come in at the right time on an engine capable of useing it. Or at least morst of it.

Since finding a set of (WCFB's) Carter 400 carbs or ealy vette/Buick carbs (Also AFB carbs) is probably, well, out of the question, they'll just have to do for now. I'd like a set of 500's. But made of money I'm not.

I just took a Comp engineering angle finder to the side of the intake to head face surface area to see if there was any angle differences to be seen. Of course, this would be bad if there off by a bit. The intake wouldn't seal up and just suck in oil to the cylinders.

I put the intakes on the kitchen table and the angle finder on top of the carb pads to see if they were sitting level on the table. Both intakes leveled out to zero.

The intake to head mating surface varied a few degrees, but I'd call it acceptable for sure.

The LD-340 clock the dial at 52* - 53*, pass./drivers side.
The D64 shown 54* 53* at the front and 56* - 53* at the rear.

After seeing the dial read these numbers, I'd call this intake ready for a re-drilling of the attaching bolt holes angle to align with the later "LA" heads.

rumble here are photos of the Offy Port-O-Sonic and Offy 360* intakes port windows. The gasket is a MP fiber gasket P4286569.

Copy of IMG_2699.jpg

Copy of IMG_2698.jpg

Copy of IMG_2697.jpg

Copy of IMG_2702.jpg

Copy of IMG_2701.jpg

Copy of IMG_2700.jpg

I just took a Comp engineering angle finder to the side of the intake to head face surface area to see if there was any angle differences to be seen. Of course, this would be bad if there off by a bit. The intake wouldn't seal up and just suck in oil to the cylinders.

I put the intakes on the kitchen table and the angle finder on top of the carb pads to see if they were sitting level on the table. Both intakes leveled out to zero.

The intake to head mating surface varied a few degrees, but I'd call it acceptable for sure.

The LD-340 clock the dial at 52* - 53*, pass./drivers side.
The D64 shown 54* 53* at the front and 56* - 53* at the rear.

After seeing the dial read these numbers, I'd call this intake ready for a re-drilling of the attaching bolt holes angle to align with the later "LA" heads.

My ld340 was tapered, narrower at the rear than the front, so we fixed/milled it.

Thanks for the photos of the Offy's. Now I see why Larry Shep. said it was a good intake. The only ting I remember about the Port-o-sonic was danms in front of a few runners. Easy to do.

That 360 intake I didn't realize was a split plenum intake. How'd that one perform?

I got both of the Offys cheap ($75 each) but have not run either of them yet. I'm curoius to see how the performance compares. Too bad there's never any any info in the mags with Offys in head to head shootouts with any of the other offerings.

-
Back