D64 / A dual quad Edelbrock (and other intakes)

-
I got both of the Offys cheap ($75 each) but have not run either of them yet. I'm curoius to see how the performance compares. Too bad there's never any any info in the mags with Offys in head to head shootouts with any of the other offerings.

Your right, never a single ting mentioned. I did notice an Offy on the MoPar Muscle Red Dart Sport the have. Not a word about it.

I would just redrill it and fill the gaps with epoxy.

Ummm, the intake bolt holes?

Yep, The bolt holes. I would Find some metal dowels at the local hardware store and set them in where they need to be and seal the bottoms, then use a two part metal epoxy to fill in the removed area.

Thanks Dartman. I'm going to be lazy and have my machinest do it. I'm not so equip[ed in the garage anymore. Lazy me never replaced broken tools.

Why not just find the correct intake instead of destroying a good hard to find part. JMO

OK for starters, find it for me. When you get it, let me know. It's a D66.

Second, destroy? I don't think so. I'm modifing the intake. Not destroying it. If someone wanted the intake for there ealy 273 after I get done with the mods, it would be an easy adjust for it to work on there head.

And, not for nothing, unless they MUST use THAT early head, well, theres more intakes floating around they can get. Personally, I wouldn't use a early 273 head if it was for free when I can use a 302 / 318 head for a much better/superior head flow / power and burn over the older head.

IF your beef is big, call Vic....Edelbrock and tell'em what I'm doin :thumblef:
Tell'em to start making some new air gap dual quads for the MoPar guys. (What a tool there phone line is for that!)

And, you all know what ticks me off. They'll make it for the new HEMI, but not the just discontinued mega year run "LA" engine.

Tools! There all tools!

(Damn, I'm stoppin here before it turns into a rant on the aftermarket vs Mopar guys!)

I knew as soon as I hit the post button it was on. JJ

I am 99% sure that if I had the time and a D64 sitting around I would start playing. I did reading sometime back that if you fill and redrill it actually works pretty well.

But you are 100% on the TOOLs you get when you try to call and ask questions at any of the major parts suppliers. My first question is always whats your daily driver? If its not a mopar it better at least be one of the big 3 and at least prior to 1980.

And as far as the production of the LA VS all the new aftermarket crap they make I guess they have to try to get all the new high dollar sports cars to run with our old Mopars.

Sure the newer cars have the nice features. Power windows, locks, ac, cruise, a damn computer telling the engine what to do and they get decent mpg. But my hands and feet can do all the same. Skinny pedal, brake and roll down the window.

Ma Mopar did it right back in the day.

Nice. I am so glad you posted up that picture.
Sweet valve cover too!

Now, that is a D64 on the engine or a D66?

Sorry, I don't get here very often. It is a D66 I believe, but will have to check.

hemied - I like the way you put the 340 emblems on the valve covers. What valve covers are those?
Thanks, they are the old Weinds, I milled the Weind name out on a vertical milling machine.

I knew as soon as I hit the post button it was on. JJ

I am 99% sure that if I had the time and a D64 sitting around I would start playing. I did reading sometime back that if you fill and redrill it actually works pretty well.

But you are 100% on the TOOLs you get when you try to call and ask questions at any of the major parts suppliers. My first question is always whats your daily driver? If its not a mopar it better at least be one of the big 3 and at least prior to 1980.

And as far as the production of the LA VS all the new aftermarket crap they make I guess they have to try to get all the new high dollar sports cars to run with our old Mopars.

Sure the newer cars have the nice features. Power windows, locks, ac, cruise, a damn computer telling the engine what to do and they get decent mpg. But my hands and feet can do all the same. Skinny pedal, brake and roll down the window.

Ma Mopar did it right back in the day.

65fish, I totalllly missed your post, sorry for the delay in the reply.

I'll not being doing the work to the intake, I'll have a machinest do it. Not nly is this alot easier for me, but it'll pay to have a pro do it. I barley have enuff time to mess with this stuff. The days heat just isn't there. LOL Danm winter!

I think I read somewhere that there was a 12 or 20 degree difference in the bolt angle and of course the bosses also. I'd see if the machinist can make some shims for the bolt heads, That way if it were to eventually go to someone with the early LA, all they' have to do to use the original bolts would be to use washers under the heads of the bolts.

I'd also like to see Edelbrock make some more D4B's that fit the early LA's. My old heads are in nice shape and work real well.

rumblefish360, mine is a D64.

I have a D66 a few years ago, accumulating the parts to put it on, and ended up selling it on Ebay, to buy some other needed parts. In fact, I sold it with 2 Carter Comp series carbs like yours.

I had attached a piece of linkage from an old Hemi carb to the front carb.

I just found these pictures, of when I was gasket matching the intake.

64 meg dark card 146.JPG

No, having issues else where consuming my time and attention. ($$$)
I'll post up when anything happens worth while.

Well, yes, that was the idea...to make it fit.
You want it?

Subscribed!!!

I am still trying to find out all the particulars with bolting a 273 intake onto a mid 70's 360. If all I have to do is ream out some bolt holes that will be no problem. No one seems to have a 100% clear answer so far.

I did nothing to the bolt holes on mine. No reaming, wobbling out or anything. I guess I didn't know they weren't supposed to fit. I used a very thick intake gasket though. A couple of them were kind of tricky to get started, they ended up fine. I used allen head bolts, not stock ones.

What gaskets did you use? I still have to find one...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82928
I will have to look, because I know I bought 3 sets when I ordered them. Will post it later, after I look at my gasket stash.
I am planning on maybe pulling my setup and putting it in Sunday's Chicagoland Mopar Swap meet for $575. I am going to put my LD340 back on, but I had a lot of fun with this set up though.

sorry to reply so late,i ran this intake on my 360. whoever had this intake before me, slotted the bolt holes so it would fit. so the answer to your question is yes it will fit the 360.and its not hacking it up, because it will still fit the 273.with flat washers under the bolts you dont even see that the bolt holes are slotted. this set up ran real good,the off idle response is killer,will just about want to throw you in the backseat.but lacks top end power,my stock tq intake and thermoquad felt way stronger on the topend. i ran this set up with 2 450 carters.i believe this intake looses power on the topend ,because, it is so small ported.

the dual quad intake is for 64 and earlier 273 and the port - o - sonic you will love!!!!Thats a bad a$$ intake even by todays standards( just my opinion )

Well, it's been awhile since I started and last read this thread. Duster360 PM'd me on his new Edelbrock dual quad intake, a D-66 made for the newer bolt angle engines. 318-340-360's. In the course of the convo, a few questions popped up. Being that I never did get a D-66 and as such, modified the D-64 to fit, we were wondering if there is a big difference in port sizes, and manifold height.

Disregard my first opening post to the intake height. WHAT I was reading on the tape measure, I do not know. So, without further wait, here are some shots and measurements.

First, the real question many have is if they get a dual quad intake, will it fit. Great question. Sorry, my A body car is a bit far away to do a fit and test. But if you can do so work on your car and it's current set up, I would start with the first picture. Measure the whole entire set up on the engine with the air cleaner installed. Then you can compare this over all height of the dual quad set up with the Edelbrock air cleaner on top vs. your set up.

Do what I did in the picture. I used a level, aluminium in construction, just lay it flat on the air cleaner lid. In this shot, add 1/2 inch for the cleaners circular nuts.

Height is 10-3/4 front, 11-15/16 rear. Might as make it 12 inch's. 1 foot is tall.

Then do it again with no carb gaskets in place.

This time it is 5 rear, 4-1/16 front. Give or take a little bit.

Attachments

• D-64 001.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 223
  • D-64 002.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 215
  • D-64 003.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 238
-
Back