Dad's 1966 Dart

-

Dart_Doctor

Asa style
Reaction score
Ok i have an ideal my dad has not had a fun ride for over 10 years now . thinking of selling alot of my junk to get him a motor for his car . Im thinking a mosty stock 318 with alittle cam already have the intake and the block and heads that need redone . what would it cost to get all the redo parts im sure i can do it .....(Thanks Karl ) . I just dont know how much im going to have to sell Or if im going to have enough I do have a full motor needing redone

DD, brother, we need more info...

How old is your dad and would this be his last ride?

What kind of "car" does he have?

Your last sentence has me troubled.... "I just dont know how much im going to have to sell Or if im going to have enough I do have a full motor needing redone"

I'm not making fun of you DD, just a little confused as to what you're asking?

Please help us help you..

DD, brother, we need more info...

How old is your dad and would this be his last ride?

What kind of "car" does he have?

Your last sentence has me troubled.... "I just dont know how much im going to have to sell Or if im going to have enough I do have a full motor needing redone"

I'm not making fun of you DD, just a little confused as to what you're asking?

Please help us help you..
If i had to bet this will be his last one . The other one will Keep rusting .
Im not going to tell his age but most of my famliy aint lived much longer then what he is now . He aint dieing or nothing like that tho . As for me selling stuff im talking im talking im going to ues (my bbp set up) On this car . and all of my stuff from when i was a kid you know car stuff toys and what not lol i dont know what i have left its been packed up for years lol . the car is a 66 dart 2 door . Man if he sees that part im dead lol This would be pay back for all the stuff he gave up for me as some of you know ive been unable to work for years and he droped it all to keep a roof over my head now im getting to where i can stand on my own (moving soon ) But I still aint going to be able to do a car for myself i will be living month to month . I would rether see my dad happy then me . Im just seeing what its going to cost to do a motor for him . I have no pics of the car tho when i lost my old computer it took them with it and the car looks like **** now so he would kill me if i posted them lol maybe i can find some from the 90s when she was a street killer lol man i was the cool kid when dad picked me up from school in that thing six pack scoop v8 pumpin . I was the **** getting in that thing lol . I still remeber begging dad to smoke the tires and he would but not all the time he would tell me ive gotta drive this thing lol it was his dd back then lol ok you need any more ? lol this truned out to be more of a story ting i was going to tell lol

Found an old pic It needs both lower 1/4s some dum *** tried to fix them with chickin wire and some thing that looks like bondo lol It now needs a hood where the hood bolts on has rusted out and last time i shut the hood it just folded up

Attachments

• 30413810004_large.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 743
i think what your asking is how much is it going to cost you to rebuild a 318. well a straight up estimate would be $600. as a solid base, realizing it could be more

a few years ago i did a 318 much like what i think your describing....nothing wild....but very mild ...very close to stock.

as you know the most imporatant thing is to measure engine parts.....some parts may or may not need extensive service based on how they measure.

i got a kit when i did mine much like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Dodge-318-5-2-Master-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-68-74-/260699887590?_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D3802612243669186741%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D380507907307%26 after it was apart and measured

a few other things i did that a little more was ........the first thing i did was take it apart (measure everything as its coming apart) and took it in to hot tank it....i hate working in grease. while it was there i had cam bearings put in....that was around $60. for hot tank and cam bearing install.

then brought it back and after cleaning out the cylinders ....they did not need overboring...i started assembling from the kit.

mine cost a little more bcoz i did replace vavles bcoz there were some burnt ones ...which is why it was running poorly before.....but even there i used budget auto zone valves ....they do have them LOL

im trying to give an example here to give you an idea........i used all budget auto zone and ebay parts. my build may not be the best in the world but it sure worked bcoz even years later under normal use the engine still runs great....its been to el paso, Tx and back a few times and has good power and gas milage...i topped this one with a eddy 600.

Attachments

• CIMG2070.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 714
  • CIMG2074.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 714
  • CIMG2185.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 719
  • CIMG2188.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 719
Yes rani thats what i was looking for little sis that rocks thanks for the help Not as bad as i thought Butits still going to wate tell i move and im settled in . Just looking for ideals thanks so much rani . Oh and my uncles going to do what he dose on the heads i hope lol

keep in mind that the kit will not come with everything and little things do add up ...dont forget the distributor bushing in the block....i went crazy trying to get one ...ended up ordering one at a dodge dealer ...so it will take some leg work to get it all together :happy1:

keep in mind that the kit will not come with everything and little things do add up ...dont forget the distributor bushing in the block....i went crazy trying to get one ...ended up ordering one at a dodge dealer ...so it will take some leg work to get it all together :happy1:
LOL I dont even know if its going to happen or not its just one of the 1000s of ideals that come though my head lol If i could find a really cheap runner i would go that way maybe . I have too many ideals any not enough cash to fund my ideals but aint we all that way hahahah

Another idea would be to do what I did, My younger son Creed and I found a 3/4 tun
truck 86 model 3/4 tun on CL for 600 dolors with a great running rv 318 in it
we drove it, checked it out good and brought it home and Creed had it in my 85 ramcharger in no time, then sold the truck for salvage for 380 dolors.

You know rani not too many know how to speck Asa . You aint even talked to me on the phone yet and you speck it good lol

i got a running 318 and 727 off CL for 400 bucks, still driving it 2 years later. deals are out there. it might be more feasible than trying to piece together some parts ...just a suggestion

what is "speck Asa" ? lol

i got a running 318 and 727 off CL for 400 bucks, still driving it 2 years later. deals are out there. it might be more feasible than trying to piece together some parts ...just a suggestion

what is "speck Asa" ? lol

yes, Asa that is another option ....with a used one, you dont really know what your getting but you can tell a good runner when you see one.

speck = speak ......buts its ok Asa ...common mistake, i get you.

yes, Asa that is another option ....with a used one, you dont really know what your getting but you can tell a good runner when you see one.

speck = speak ......buts its ok Asa ...common mistake, i get you.
i thought it was "spell" my fault lol

and very true , you dont always get what you think, believe me ive learned the hard way. but if you are able to get into the engine a little or hear it run first, then that could be a good way to go.

i thought it was "spell" my fault lol

and very true , you dont always get what you think, believe me ive learned the hard way. but if you are able to get into the engine a little or hear it run first, then that could be a good way to go.

well your right though about the fact that a used engine is the better way to go ......i dont know what kind of tools and facilities he has ....im not assuming anything but that is a concern Asa ....you need to see if you have measuring tools....those are not cheap and i know you may or may not have access ....just a consideration.

well your right though about the fact that a used engine is the better way to go ......i dont know what kind of tools and facilities he has ....im not assuming anything but that is a concern Asa ....you need to see if you have measuring tools....those are not cheap and i know you may or may not have access ....just a consideration.

yes , a clean environment and measuring equipment is key to building a good solid engine. maybe i got lucky with the used 318 i bought. i know i was sweating every minute before i hit the key LOL . the oil looked great and it spun around nicely , plus it was an old dude that just pulled it out of 67 coronet. he was very confident and open about its history.

Asa you know how to put a engine together Karl showed us how. The hard part is finding one that you can refresh like we did to my 360. A salvage yard is out of the question. But you need to be able to hear it run before buying the motor.

I have a brand new 318 short block fits a 97-2001 dodge ram.
Built buy Custom Motors it's never been used and I still have the receipt.

not mine

Asa you know how to put a engine together Karl showed us how. The hard part is finding one that you can refresh like we did to my 360. A salvage yard is out of the question. But you need to be able to hear it run before buying the motor.
Yes cliff that was fun i know with alittle help I could do it or should i say we lol

Ok ive had a few pms asking if i wanted help to do this motor . 1st i want to thank you all for the offer . But im good this plan is still a year or more off i should have said that lol I still have to get my GED .. thanks you for offering stuff guys from the bottom of my hart .

Ok Im going to bump this back up.Ive found a motor for this now . Im still talking to the guy bout it . Ive heard it run sounds good but needs a tune up and some good gas in it lol . I also found some better pics of the car on a disk i found when packing for the move .

Attachments

• Dodge Dart Pictures Jan.2006 019.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 588
  • Dodge Dart Pictures Jan.2006 012.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 554
Ok big up date ! A member has offered a Good running 318 for free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG this is soooooo freckin cool ..... Now i know i dont have to worry bout the motor i was looking at . It had sat for years ! Im bout jumping up and down here ..... OMG

-
Back