Dad's Dart (or one just like it) Restoration

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
It’s been three years since I bought my car, a 1965 Dodge Dart GT Convertible with a 273 V8. I’ve been collecting parts and tinkering with it since then. Now that I’m getting serious about the restoration, I guess it’s time to start a thread to document the restoration. I plan to organize this thread as a sort of table-of-contents with links to smaller threads for larger parts of the restoration. Some of those threads already exist. Others will be created as I do the work. I hope you enjoy following along with my progress.

Attachments

• P1000456 cropped.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,574
First a bit of history:
In June of 1965, in the same week that I was born, my father bought a brand new 1965 Dodge Dart GT Convertible from Carbone Dodge in Utica, NY. His car was gold with a white interior and white top. It had a 273 V8 and a 4 speed. The story goes that he gathered up his wife and new baby in his new car and drove to my grandmother’s house to see the in-laws. Unfortunately, the new baby stole the show and there was little interest in the new car.

To fully appreciate this story, you have to understand a little bit about my dad. Since I’ve been old enough to remember, all the cars he’s ever owned have been totally practical with the emphasis on low cost, reliability, and good gas mileage. In approximately 60 years of automotive ownership, my dad has purchased exactly 3 brand new vehicles. This was the first. The second was a stripped down 1980 Toyota Corolla which was a demonstrator, so technically it doesn’t even count. The third was a 1994 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 with a Cummins turbo diesel. All the rest were used cars. So it’s difficult to imagine him walking onto a dealer lot at age 21, and buying a brand new V8 GT Convertible. I guess they must have been sold out of slant 6, radio delete, 4 doors with rubber floor mats. That or he was really freaked out about becoming a father. Mid-life crisis at age 21?

Five years of upstate New York winters were not kind to the Dodge Dart. With a second child and all the associated baby crap, it was time for a bigger, more practical car. So he sold the Dart to my uncle Dave in western PA, who later sold it to his cousin Jughead (seriously, that’s what they call him). Jughead eventually parked the Dart in his backyard where it rusted away. It finally went to the scrap yard sometime in the the last 10 years.

Here is the only picture of the car I have, parked in front of my grandparent’s house in Duncansville, PA, sometime in the late 1960's.

Attachments

• Dad's Car.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,593
  • Me & Dad.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,533
In fall of 2009, I was sitting at my desk working. My mind was wandering so I took a break to play on the Internet. I was Googling for cars I might like to own someday. Just for kicks, I entered 1965 Dodge Dart as I had done several time over the past few years. This time up pops an eBay listing for a 1965 Dart GT Convertible, gold with a white interior and white top. Was it a V8, yes! Was it a 4-speed, No. But still very close to dad’s car, much closer than I had ever seen. In fact, I have continued to look over the past three years and have never seen a closer match for sale.

The eBay auction had a week to run, but I dismissed the notion of buying it and got back to work. Over the following week, I kept thinking about the car. Finally, I resolved to bid on the car. You only live once right? And you know what they say about “All work and no play”.

So I won the auction and bought a plane ticket to Sacramento to drive the car home to Los Angeles. The owner thought the car would make the trip and he was right. 450 miles without a single issue.

The car was sold to me by two brothers who had recently inherited the car from their mother when she passed away. Their parents bought the car in the early 1980’s in the Pasadena area. They later moved up to the gold country above Sacramento. After their father passed away, their mother continued to drive the car well into her 80’s. They upgraded the car to power steering for her so she could keep driving it. She must have had strong legs though because the manual drum brakes require a lot of pedal effort. They told me that everyone around the town knew her and her car and it made her so happy to drive it around and wave to everyone.

Here are the photos from the eBay listing.

Attachments

• eBay8.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,509
  • eBay7.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,495
  • eBay6.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,544
  • eBay5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,523
  • eBay4.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,529
  • eBay3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,549
  • eBay2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,537
  • eBay1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,544
  • eBay12.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,508
  • eBay11.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,507
Over the past three years I have driven the car regularly. I drive 10 miles to work each way and I also drop my daughter off in the morning at her elementary school. It’s very relaxing to drive a convertible to work and the coastal southern California weather is perfect for top-down driving.

I’ve been collecting parts for the restoration. I regularly check eBay, Craigslist, and FABO for parts. The Fall and Spring Fling swap meets have been good for finding parts too. I purchased a parts car near Temecula for $700. I couldn’t keep the body, but I pretty much picked it clean. I probably have enough parts to build a 2 or 3 cars.

Attachments

• DSCN1068.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,537
I did a compression check and found that the engine is tired and has at least one leaky exhaust valve. Here are the results: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=160882

Rather than invest money into the wrong engine I set about to find an original 1965 273 with a build date that would be correct for my car. After a year of looking, I finally found one on eBay for $50 in New Jersey with an assembly date just 10 days prior to the car’s build date.

We got the engine delivered to my Dad's house in Carlisle, PA. We built an engine stand out of some scrap porch railing and lag bolted it to a pallet for shipping to California. Here’s the complete story of finding the engine and getting it shipped to California with more pictures: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=199120

Attachments

• Engine Ready to Ship.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,517
The car looked really solid underneath, but when I removed the carpet there was a lot of surface rust and some holes in the rear foot wells. The floor was also beat up pretty bad by previous owners who had installed non-factory bucket seats at some point.

I found a solid floor pan in a wrecking yard in Washington state and had it cut out and shipped to me. This summer, I cut out the old rusty floor pan and welded the new one in.

Here is the complete thread with lots more pictures:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=196103

Attachments

• After.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,466
  • During.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,470
  • Rust.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Before.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,474
I got a pair of 4 bbl Carter AFB's from a guy I met at Spring Fling along with a 4 bbl intake, air cleaner, and two sets of commando valve covers.

I didn't know how to identify them, but with some help from FABO, figured out that they were correct carbs for my 65 Dart with automatic transmission: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...d.php?t=186423

I rebuilt one of the carburetors and installed it on the car with the 4 barrel intake manifold. Here is the detailed thread with more pictures: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=204359

Since the conversion I've had a good solid month of daily driving to make sure this carburetor is working properly. Gas mileage is down maybe 1/2 MPG, but when you get on it, it does go.

Now I know I have a good carburetor so when I break in the new engine, I won't be dealing with carburetor issues and I have a baseline MPG to compare to the healthy new engine.

Attachments

• Two Carbs.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Before.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,441
  • After.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,456
Well it's finally time to dive into the restoration. The car has been slowly devolving as I continued to drive it. The carpet and most of the interior were out and there were patches of primer on three corners. Time to take the plunge and fully disassemble the car.

This weekend I removed the convertible top, hood and drive train. No more driving the car until the restoration is finished. Here is a link to the thread with pictures of the removal of the engine/transmission/K-frame assembly: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209411

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,412
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,464
I live in Torrance too. If you need an engine hoist or engine stand you can use mine for as long as you need too. I may even have a few pre 69 small block pulleys if you find yours are cracked and alternator brackets you may have. Plus if you need any help lifting, tugging, swearing I can come over. Thats is if I'm not lifting, tugging, swearing, working or doing never ending yard work. Doug

Well it's finally time to dive into the restoration. The car has been slowly devolving as I continued to drive it. The carpet and most of the interior were out and there were patches of primer on three corners. Time to take the plunge and fully disassemble the car.

This weekend I removed the convertible top, hood and drive train. No more driving the car until the restoration is finished. Here is a link to the thread with pictures of the removal of the engine/transmission/K-frame assembly: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209411

You are doing a great job on your car. I will subscribe to this one. I'm restoring a 65 as well. I like the white gold interior. Looks good. If you want I can decode the fendertag for you.

I live in Torrance too. If you need an engine hoist or engine stand you can use mine for as long as you need too. I may even have a few pre 69 small block pulleys if you find yours are cracked and alternator brackets you may have. Plus if you need any help lifting, tugging, swearing I can come over. Thats is if I'm not lifting, tugging, swearing, working or doing never ending yard work. Doug

Thanks Doug. I've got the hoist and stand covered, Yeah Harbor Freight! But I might just take you up on the offer of free labor.

Do you ever come out to the South Bay Mopars meetings? Since Bob's Big Boy closed, we meet at Hof's Hut the first Saturday of every month. Although, now I won't have a Mopar to drive to the next meeting.:sad1:

http://www.southbaymopars.com

You are doing a great job on your car. I will subscribe to this one. I'm restoring a 65 as well. I like the white gold interior. Looks good. If you want I can decode the fendertag for you.

Thanks Ulf. That's a big complement coming from you. Your restoration thread is awesome and will be a great source of information for me and others.:prayer:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=102646

Thanks for the advice you gave me on the carpet color.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=190367
I went with your recommendation and ordered the Medium Saddle from Legendary along with the complete interior. Everything arrived and it looks awesome. The pearl white vinyl looks great with the Medium Saddle. If you hadn't told me that I would have ordered the Gold, which I don't think would look as good. Can't wait to install it all.

I've already decoded the fender tag but if it helps you to see it, here's a picture.

Attachments

• DSCN1085.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,382
About a year ago I found a rotisserie on craigslist for $600. The casters were worn out and it was missing the steel that connects the two ends to each other. This is what it looked like when I bought it.

I spent another $200 on really nice locking casters from Harbor Freight and some steel to connect the two ends. I also had to cut the extra steel off the original brackets.

Attachments

• P0004_110311.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,279
I mounted the car on the rotisserie and tried to get it to balance so it would spin easy. Set in the highest position (bottom hole), it's still bottom heavy and I still have a lot more parts to take off the car that are above the pivot point.

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,341
Wow, not sure how I missed this thread but its really cool!! Neat story and nice project!!

I removed the "T" shaped bracket and replaced it with a straight piece of 3" square tube. This lowered the pivot point 8" relative to the car which made it top heavy. Finished removing all the remaining parts and it's still a little bit top heavy. I can spin it all the way around and the clamping bolts will hold it in any position, but if I rotate it 90 degrees, it won't stay put without the clamping bolts. I think it will be fine, but I might look for a way to hang some weight off the bottom for better balance.

I've seen pictures of hard tops on rotisseries and they seem to balance OK with the "T" shaped bracket. But the convertible is missing the roof and has extra steel in the rockers so the Center of Gravity is just little bit above the bumper mounts. I wonder how noticeable that difference is to the handling of the car. I've never driven a hard top.

Attachments

• IMAG0025.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,283
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,273
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,290
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,312
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,332
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,352
I spent a weekend cleaning the body. Scraped out all the dried out old seam sealer. Used the acetylene torch, a putty knife and some wire brushes to remove all the under coating. I want to make it easy for the guys doing the media blast so I get a good price and a good job.

You can see some of the rust I still need to fix in the rear quarter and also under the battery tray.

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,281
  • IMAG0001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • IMAG0017.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,250
I put down some old plastic I had left over from my kitchen remodel to protect the driveway and then I wheeled everything outside for a thorough cleaning. I used the pressure washer and a gallon of degreaser.

The bottom of the car came out very clean. The front suspension is much better but still pretty dirty. I think I'll have to throw away the plastic after walking around on all the grease and filth.

None of my neighbors had anything nice to say. They just drove by real slow with dumb-founded looks. There was one cool woman who stopped by to check it out, but it turns out she doesn't live in the neighborhood. She just comes there to walk other people's dogs. I don't think it will go over very well if I start shooting primer in the driveway.

Attachments

• IMAG0040.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,213
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,228
You're doing great. I laufed when I saw that you has exactly the same hole besides the battery as I did! Was it factory leaking batteries? Anyway you are doing a great job. Did you find any factory markings? You might also find some tejp covering holes in the innerfender.

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMAG0046.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 26.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,174
One of my shock towers had some stress cracks. Welded the cracks and dressed the welds.

Attachments

• IMAG0016.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,146
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,130
There were lots of dents in the frame and trans cross member. Here are some photos of the process for removing these dents from one area.

Since there is no access to the inside of the frame I tried my new Harbor Freight stud gun. But the stud gun wouldn't do the job because the metal is too thick and the studs are too weak.

So, I got a big old bolt and used it as a slide hammer. Weld the bolt to the frame and start pounding. Cut the bolt off and grind down the weld. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes the weld would break and leave a little divit in the metal. Filled these with weld and ground them smooth.

You can get it looking like new if you're persisitent.

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMAG0024.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMAG0023.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,123
Here's another example. Before and After.

Attachments

• IMAG0059.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,114
Somehow, something snagged and tore the metal on the inner fender well. I welded in a patch from the donor car. This stuff never ends!

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • IMAG0091.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMAG0093.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,095
-
Back