Daily Driver Recommendations for the Wife

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Marge’s 2016 Chrysler 200C got rear ended at a stop light yesterday morning (everyone is ok, thankfully) while the the damage doesn’t look too bad, it pushed in the structural steel below the passenger tail light. I stopped at the body shop this morning and they said it’ll definitely be totaled. Car still drives great, only has 138k miles and we just put new tires on it… :BangHead: Anyway, a few of the cars were considering/researching are the 2016-ish and up Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Kia Optima. Any experience/opinions on those cars or any other models that y’all think we should seriously consider? We’d LOVE a Challenger but with a baby on the way, a two door definitely won’t be an option for the primary vehicle. We’d also consider a Charger or 300. I’d love to get a magnum but she says no wagons, suvs or vans! Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

does she like blue ?

at least here in MI a lot of police chargers are being rotated out

for about 15K she can get a 2014-2017 AWD charger (police package, so yes, it has a hemi) with around 100-120 K on it

thats what im getting my wife when her 09 AWD charger croaks...and this charger has been the BEST vehicular investment i have ever made
dollar per year, dollars per mile, doesnt matter how you slice it

(we get snow here, so AWD is important to me, if your good with RWD, im looking at a '14 with less then 80K for $14K)

2016-ish and up Toyota Camry

If you aren't opposed to Toyo, maybe look at a Rav4. We just sold ours, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, all wheel drive, peppy and decent mileage to boot. We put on over 100 thousand trouble free miles. Just regular maintenance was all we needed. The kid has it now, I'll bet it hits 250 thousand with ease, maybe more.

I tend to go outta My way to avoid Toyota Honda Nissan Kia Hyundai and such. I'm gonna give you what may be a little biased having never owned anything from any company besides Mopar but my wife loves her Durango. When this one dies I'm gonna be looking for another hopefully 1st series w/another 360 like this. We also had fantastic service from our 2 Cherokee XJs with their 4.0 inline 6. Loved that engine. The police charger idea might be a good one too, if they hold up as well as my ex police Diplomats did, I'd be in. Being a former fleet vehicle does not bother me a bit. Just like civilian versions you gotta do your inspection and checkout and not be afraid to walk away from the 1st one you come across.
My 1st XJ was former fleet just as my diplomats we're. As is my most recent truck, which started life as a Fastenal truck.

For a sedan the Camry is the way to go. I’ve driven so many of the mid/full size cars from rental companies the last 10 years most are junk and a few like the Camry are not. The handling, gas mileage and comfort make it my choose for rentals when road tipping 800 miles to cali in 20 hours… the Altima is next in line. I really like the 2010-2014 years. Don’t care for the newer ones as much. Also look at the Subaru Crosstrek. My girlfriend has one, we took it on a 4,000 mile road tip a few month back and it grew on me even more. Handles well, has descent power, will hit 115 on the roads leaving Death Valley, handles the snow like a champ, can even get 8 foot flashing in car. (Should have taken the truck to the lumber yard)

My wife got a 2020 hyundai kona and we both love it.

It was roughly $19,000 out the door as a base model and "last years" model at the end of 2020.

Plenty of power. Good if not great cargo room, comfortable (there's plenty of headroom for my 6'3" long spine frame).

.....and typically gets 33-35 MPG average per tank.

LOVE my 2014 Mazda 6 sedan. Good mileage, handles GREAT, and is one of the prettiest sedans ever. Nothing but regular maintenance in 7 years. Not as common as Camry's and Accords, but if you can find one, they're worth a look.

LOVE my 2014 Mazda 6 sedan. Good mileage, handles GREAT, and is one of the prettiest sedans ever. Nothing but regular maintenance in 7 years. Not as common as Camry's and Accords, but if you can find one, they're worth a look.
Our family hauler is a '13 cx9
I am not impressed with it

Some standard features are simply not there (lighted window switches for instance)

It's on its 3 set or axle bearing (at 124k) and it has something called "torque converter shudder" which feels like then transmission is trying to shake itself to death

Bummer.

I thought you were asking what kind of old Mopar you were going to give her.
I told her if we take the insurance money and dump it in my ‘67 4 door Valiant project, we’ll have a dang nice car. She shot that down without hesitation! Lol

Our family hauler is a '13 cx9
I am not impressed with it

Some standard features are simply not there (lighted window switches for instance)

It's on its 3 set or axle bearing (at 124k) and it has something called "torque converter shudder" which feels like then transmission is trying to shake itself to death

OP is replacing a sedan, so I suggested a sedan. Mine's been fantastic, and trouble-free for 90K miles. My 2010 Mazda 3 and 2012 Mazda 5 were also totally reliable, which is why I've stayed with them.

I can't speak to the CX9. I don't drive/need an SUV, and despite public popularity, I don't recommend any of them to anyone.

On the camrys be aware 2018 and 2019 have a problem with acceleration. bought my wife a 2019 Camry, dark grey with black interior, very nice car and did handle great and got good gas mileage, however noticed it had an acceleration issue which got worse over time. There’s a TSB out for it. Toyota dealership did the updates on the car and was slightly better but still had a problem as in 1 to 2 second acceleration delay which in an emergency situation that can mean a lot getting out of the way of something. Also coming from a rolling stop and accelerating, it had a hard time downshifting which youd have to floor it in order for it to kick down. The dealership did have me test another Camry of the same year and that also had just about the same problem. Idk about the newer model but from my personal experience I was pretty disappointed in that car to where I wanted to trade it in for something else but the dealership I took it too offered to buy it back for more than we got into it which was great so sold it to them and used that money to get something different.

OP is replacing a sedan, so I suggested a sedan. Mine's been fantastic, and trouble-free for 90K miles. My 2010 Mazda 3 and 2012 Mazda 5 were also totally reliable, which is why I've stayed with them.

I can't speak to the CX9. I don't drive/need an SUV, and despite public popularity, I don't recommend any of them to anyone.
That's why the first car I suggested was a sedan

But with the way they try to build everything on one platform nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the issues I'm seeing on my Mazda may also show up in smaller or larger sized mazda/fords

I bought my daughter a 2018 Kia Optima in the spring. It is a dang nice car and at 6ft if I put the seat all the way back I cannot reach the pedals comfortably. So far so good with it but as with anything time will tell.

You will never go wrong with a Accord or a Camry

What he said ... and I would lean towards the Accord because I feel the interior quality is better .
You can put 200k on either and still get good money on resale . Seldom do either have issues . Nissans and Mazdas tend to have engine/trany issues .
Hyundais and Kias are electrical nightmares...
Check on a Honda lease... they will allow up to 30k miles per year and the residual will be way under market value . You can buy out the lease and resell it for a profit . This omly works if the money factor is super low ..which it should be right now .

Ford Focus, we have owned 2 a 07 that my wife wrecked with 420,000 miles on it and now a 2017 with 150,000 on the clock. Both good basic transportation that got or get about 40 mpg.

Bicycle…

Marge’s 2016 Chrysler 200C got rear ended at a stop light yesterday morning (everyone is ok, thankfully) while the the damage doesn’t look too bad, it pushed in the structural steel below the passenger tail light. I stopped at the body shop this morning and they said it’ll definitely be totaled. Car still drives great, only has 138k miles and we just put new tires on it… :BangHead: Anyway, a few of the cars were considering/researching are the 2016-ish and up Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Kia Optima. Any experience/opinions on those cars or any other models that y’all think we should seriously consider? We’d LOVE a Challenger but with a baby on the way, a two door definitely won’t be an option for the primary vehicle. We’d also consider a Charger or 300. I’d love to get a magnum but she says no wagons, suvs or vans! Lol

View attachment 1715862752

View attachment 1715862753

View attachment 1715862754

-
Back