Darn UPS shipping killing deals - Year One

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
Just tried to order a few things for the 68 fish (side markers, door panel tool, hot rod SB motor book. They wanted almost $30 for ground UPS shipping. The markers were not in stock and would be backordered. $30 is way too high. Either UPS is jacking up rates to vendors like YO or they are using shipping as an excuse to jsck up their profits at YO. Either way the order was cancelled.

And the website would not let me complete an online order.

Rats.

That's not raw UPS charges.....It's Year One ripping the customers with their own little "markup" on the shipping......We NEVER see the actual charges.

I find it strange how the Music industry (musicians supply, that is.....guitars, amps, accessories, PA's, etc) can sell for 25 to 45% off retail, and still give FREE shipping on most orders, even very heavy items....but Year One and the like just keep slammin' the charges to us, and on the tiniest of orders.

Makes no sense.......I believe they'll pay in the long run. Lots of businesses like them have gone belly up.........when we've had a "belly full", maybe they'll learn.

I ordered a complete front end rebuild kit from Rockauto, saved about $100. I thought they would make that uo on shipping. I was shocked when shipping was $12. = REPETE CUSTERMER

Yup. Ebay is the same way. You want some service manual for some obscure piece of obsolete HP test equipment, the "people" who hoard these all know what's up -- and they don't ship at "library rates," either.

Just shipped a pair of valve covers from WA. to AZ. Went to the UPS store in town. Cost me $40.44. Shipping charges were $34.92, $3.32 fuel surcharge, $2.00 service option (?) and $0.20 CMS processing fee (?).....

Yup, UPS is getting ridiculous on some items. I've started using USPS priority mail or parcel post as much as possible.

I also use the USPS as much as possible and ask the bidnesses I buy from to use then if they can. UPS is digging their own grave IMO with their high rates. Shipping 10 sparkplugs from GA to AL (they cost $20) was $10.

In this case the YO shipping was the deal breaker for me. They would have to order in the side marker lights anyways. Anyone know where the amber ones come from so I can order direct?

I had to ship a sending unit to Hawaii, 2"x2"x13" box, under 1 pound. UPS wanted $48.00. I went to USPS and it was under $5.00.

I also use the USPS as much as possible and ask the bidnesses I buy from to use then if they can. UPS is digging their own grave IMO with their high rates. Shipping 10 sparkplugs from GA to AL (they cost $20) was $10.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's UPS or the tax payer funded USPS digging there own grave. But if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the UPS and FedEx being around long after the USPS falls apart.

Shipping is getting expensive. I have been shocked shipping a few items myself lately. Even had to take a price cut on a few items sold because I under estimated shipping cost.:cwm10:

I'm with you brother. Shipping costs are getting crazy. I find that Summit Racing is rather reasonable still. MMG

Yes yearone has way to high of shipping costs!

I normally only buy from yearone if I have to.

otherwise,jegs,summit and ebay beat the heck out of them in shipping costs so I will use them.

OR I will use my local autoparts stores website (like advanceautoparts.com) and if I buy online I can do the site to store option and run right down to the store and pick it up....or alot of the time shipping to home is free.

I use to use ups alot but I mostly use USPS anymore because of the flat rate option.

Trouble is the Chevy and Ford guys will continue paying those stupid shipping charges.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's UPS or the tax payer funded USPS digging there own grave. But if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the UPS and FedEx being around long after the USPS falls apart.

Shipping is getting expensive. I have been shocked shipping a few items myself lately. Even had to take a price cut on a few items sold because I under estimated shipping cost.:cwm10:
The PO is not tax payer funded....has not been for a long time.

U.S. Postal Service is a non-profit organization. I heard once that a one cent increase in fuel price costs them a little over 3 million per day. I'm sure they will end Saturday delivery eventually.
Those private carriers are in it for profit thus their higher prices.
I have to imagine Year One has employees in their shipping/receiving department. Those with many years service would get extended paid vacation along with all the other employee benefits provided. That money has to come from somewhere.
I guess if you have never visited a Year One showroom and talked with their people in person you cant appreciate their overhead or their history in the business.

as for shipping costs---- now, the private carriers give discounts to the bigger accounts, it is all contract stuff--- individuals with no affiliation pay published rates-- very similar to buying car parts at a local jobber house--- they have numerous pricing codes-- just which one do you fall under.
Lawrence

The PO is not tax payer funded....has not been for a long time.

LOL... Well not yet! The phrase to big to fail comes to mind when I hear of the losses they have had the last couple years. Just saying low shipping cost are great as long as they can stay in business. Doesn't matter if they are for profit or not, still have to pay the bills.

I order from Source 440 Actual shipping $50.83 Cost me $76.50. Dicks

I do ship/rec. for a living and I'll give ya some insider info, here goes nothing......

1. UPS has published rates and tiered rates. For example, you and me pay published rates at the UPS store, SummitRacing pays a tiered rate cause of the shear volume that they do.
2. My work charges our "tiered rates" to the customer and a 45 cent surcharge per package to help offset the cost of tape, boxes, packaging materials so on. So if a package costs 12.45 at our rate and the published rate is 14.28 the customer has saved money because we charge what our tiered rate is plus the 45 cent surcharge.
3. The fuel surcharges that are added weekly by UPS are automatically set into our rates and they fluctuate on a weekly basis.
4. We used to do almost 90% of our shipping with UPS, not that much anymore, let me explain.......there is a service called hundred weight and when you hit 200 lbs for a shipment you get a price drop, but by shipping freight (truck) I needed to be around the 500 lb range to be comprable to UPS rates...not so anymore. If I send 200lbs. by truck it is cheaper and also gets there in 1 piece vs. Ups. Example, I sold some parts to a guy in CO., UPS charge was gonna be 70, plus two oversize pkgs., additional handling and the quote was 126.00, by truck it was 92 bucks and he gets it all in 1 box on a pallet and saved over 30 bucks.
4. Trust me when I tell you UPS is feeling the effects of people moving over to truck freight instead of using them.
5. One last thing, ALL SHIPMENTS ARE INSURED AUTOMATICALLY FOR 100 BUCKS BY UPS AND THIS IS FACTORED INTO THE COST OF THE PACKAGE!!!!!! So if someone offers insurance for an extra fee and is using UPS tell to F**K themselves and look elsewhere for your part.

Class dissmissed, lol!!

Problem is I was trying to buy the flat side marker lights (amber) for the 68 fish and have no other source for them besides YO. YO was going to have to order them from somewhere - anybody know who really makes them or another place to order those marker lights?

Screw UPS. I hope they go BK.

..and here I always get upset with the "free shipping to the lower 48" when I know it is cheaper to ship to me than say, California.

..I always ask for USPS..if they cannot do, I usually don't buy.

Try http://www.pgclassic.com/ .. thy make repro parts..if not, they should know where..

UPS "can" be cheap for vendors if they have an agreement with UPS.

My company does and I can ship a small, light package from PA to CA for $5.00...same thing using retail rates is like $15.00

Vendors who have a lot of volume can strike deals with the shippers.

Those companies who just pass on the costs to the customer may not care enough to go that far.

That all said, you can look at it this way:

"How much will it cost to ship this muffler bearing via UPS or USPS? Now, how much will it cost for me to get in my car and drive it there myself?"

Its almost always cheaper to ship. LOL

Thats why I laugh when people ***** about a 44 cent stamp......You can send a letter to anyone in the US no matter where you are for $.44.

I challenge anyone to do that cheaper (excepting email/electronic of course.)

We just switched back from FedEx to UPS here at work but we spend millions on freight each year so we can negotiate better deals.

Buy your parts somewhere else, you will be in money .I purchased once from year one and never again , especially coming to Canada , the brokerage fees alone are more then what you actually purchase , do not know how they stay in business, with all the other vendors out there/

-
Back