dart convertible tension cables

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
I just had the top replaced on my 66 vert, and the side tension cables were missing. I started looking around on the web and cant find any. Any clues where I can find a set ?

You might have to make them. I ran into the same problem with my 67 Fury. I bought an EZ-ON top that came with "universal" cables. All that ammounted to was two lengths of cable and four ferrules. I had to fabricate the small steel brackets that attach the cable to the front of the frame, the rears fit fine with the ferrule and washer. The brackets were easy to make, I just had to bend a 90 degree angle and hammer a fold over the cable and that was that. I brazed a nut to the back side of the bracket and also the joint just to be safe. Here's what they look like. The old cables were stretched and slightly frayed, but the new ones I made work great.

cable bracket detail.jpg

cables.jpg

rear shot.jpg

Dart Charger thanks for the idea - I checked Legendary, no dice. Looked at a bunch of sites - nothing so far.

4sp - the problem is I dont even have a pattern to copy, nothing !

Anyone out there: Do you have some used or junk ones to sell or copy, that would help. I believe the 63-66 models should be the same Ply or Dodge as long as its A body.

I have a set floating somewhere I can make you a pattern. I'll go out to the garage and check it out for you..

Dave

GT - Excellent - it would be the second set of pics. The cables that go along the top above the passenger and drivers windows, with the springs on the ends.

My cuda top included new cables. I'd need to pull it out to state who made it ( i forget ). I have the removed cables here somewhere if you need them. They may not be OEM since the tack stirps show evedence of atleast 2 tops installed before.

I'm surprized they didn't come with the new top...I only have the one shown in the picture..I'll get you some measurements...

Dave

GT - whatever you can send will help - I think the dimensions will be critical in figuring out what to make or what to match these to.

Redfish - If you want to sell them, or let me borrow them for a while - I'd be interested in seeing what you would want for them - send me a pm !

Guys thanks for your assistance - hopefully I can get something pieced together, between the two of you !

After noticing yours is 66 and mine is 67... DOH !
Try Electron Top Mfg. Co. Richmond Hill, NY
Good luck

I haven't forgotten you, I just got back in town (about 9:45pm) after being gone a few days working. I should find some time tomorrow...

Dave

Redfish - lets not rule this out yet. When GT has a chance to measure maybe we'll find yours will work ?

GT - no problems - whenever its convenient for you is fine ! I really appreciate your offer to help.

I am having a top installed on my 63 dart. the upholstery guy asked me about the cables, but there were not any on the top when i removed it. should all tops have these cables?

I just got a new top for my 63 Dart. In fact I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. My Dart didn't have cables along with the frame. I tried to read everything I could on the net about convertible tops, that's where I first learned about these cables. And I did read in more than one place, and I confirmed this with the place I ordered my top thru, that the 63 & 64 Dart did not have these cables, and that widespread use of them didn't show up until later in the 60's & 70's. There is a cable on each side of the frame that is used to position one of the frame peices, but I think that's it. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would have thought the 65 and older cars would be the same, if not, I stand corrected ! I made this assumption based on the applications for new tops I have looked at. If I remember correctly the tops will fit a number of years up to 66. Thus my conclusion, sorry for that.

-
Back