Dart Interior Differences 67-69

-

Xela.zue

Reaction score
Recently my dad was in a wreck in his 67 dart but thank god he's okay and walked away pretty much unscathed. The car wasn't so lucky, the front end was totaled. Both fenders and aprons, grill, bumper, radiator support area, and the hood are toast. The frame also took a licking and probably needs to have pros take a look and see if we can safely straighten it. I'm starting to look at other options in case we can't save the car or it's too much of an undertaking and we can't afford to. My dad does not have full coverage or collector car insurance and the other person involved has no insurance, so we have to pay out of pocket. The motor, trans, and rear end are in great shape so if I found a decent roller 68/69 dart, I'm thinking I could transplant the drivetrain to it, supposing said roller car is externally complete but baron in the interior, what can I use from the 67? Thanks

No body parts will interchange except the doors will work on a 68 and trunk lid. The interior will work, but the dash's are different enough not to interchange easily. Of course the VIN is not on the dash in the 67. All the drivetrain will work except the k-frame.

Don't give up on the 67.

You can sue the other driver in small claims court for damages.

Get all the damaged parts off and see where you are.

Maybe you will need a good pull or maybe frame rails etc.

Good luck.

No body parts will interchange except the doors will work on a 68 and trunk lid. The interior will work, but the dash's are different enough not to interchange easily. Of course the VIN is not on the dash in the 67. All the drivetrain will work except the k-frame.
????????????????????????????????????? Whut???????????????????

Front clips will interchange except the 68's have the side markers which a half *** body man can "delete."

Bumpers will interchange except the 67 has the reverse lights in the bumper. If you didn't mind that difference you could use a 68 bumper

Tail lights will not interchange but I bet a bodyman could change that as well

K frame WILL work if you stick to the 67 "only" idler arm. Those two parts--the K frame and idler are only difference, of course it must be "same engine" AKA slant six if you have a six or V8 otherwise

Grills will not interchange as headlight buckets are located different in a 67, this too can be changed if you use a 68 or 69 grille

Don't give up on the 67.

You can sue the other driver in small claims court for damages.

Get all the damaged parts off and see where you are.

Maybe you will need a good pull or maybe frame rails etc.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info so far! I think suing the guy would cost us more and take a lifetime before we ever saw a dime. The option is still on the table but it seems like a long shot. At the moment, we're going down every avenue and seeing what's the best thing we can do moving forward. If we did find a roller, the task at hand is still a major undertaking, so even that might also be wishful thinking. It's a real bummer.... I bought the car from a buddy back in 05 when I was in college for like 2700. Drove it all through school, then when I graduated and got a job in the city I got a little Honda and left the Dart at my folks place. I'll admit it, as time went on I forgot about it and it sat collecting dust. Just when I decided to put it up for sale my dad asked if i'd sell it to him... I ended up giving it to him, and he completely went in on the restoration. It wasn't a show car by any means but was definitely a nice little cruiser.

Post a bunch of photos.

Nothing angers me more than a driver without insurance. Except that I have to pay for insurance twice, for me to pay you and for me to pay myself.

If all insurance was no fault (like health insurance) you would just have enough insurance to cover your losses. Regardless of who was at fault.

Just saw your in california, is rust free car, my heart is breaking.

Yup, LA born and lived here its whole life. We're definitley going to give it a go and try and save it, but money, unfortunately, is a factor. I have these post accident pics now that show the car as it was towed to my dad's place. I stopped by earlier today and saw he's already removed the passenger fender, that's where you can see the real damage. I'll have to get pics of that over the weekend and share... see if maybe its not too bad?

The impact was on the passenger side but it pushed things so hard that the drivers side fender was bent and the frame is kind of twisted out to the left.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Be carefull on the rocker mouldings
There are nuts from behind the lower front fender, remove the splash shield to access them.

It might need a frame pull but doesn't look as bad as you described.
The pass side wheel looks to be in a good place.

By the way, save every nut and bolt and mangled trim. 67 is a one off year for many parts.

Sad to see this.
And you are probably right about suing him.
Chances are that if he did not have insurance, he probably doesn't have a pot to piss in anyway.
You will probably end up fixing it up yourselves on your own dime.

That being said, it doesn't look to be damaged that badly overall.
As 65Val said, I would start looking for a 4 door with a decent front clip and change the whole front clip out including the frame rails, inner fenders, and rad support.
If the frame isn't too bad, you might even be able to find a competent shop to pull it straight again.
Then there is the cost.
Perhaps it would be more cost effective to find a decent body and transfer the good parts onto it.

I would love to hear what @jimharvard would have to say about the legal end of it.

????????????????????????????????????? Whut???????????????????

Front clips will interchange except the 68's have the side markers which a half *** body man can "delete."

Bumpers will interchange except the 67 has the reverse lights in the bumper. If you didn't mind that difference you could use a 68 bumper

Tail lights will not interchange but I bet a bodyman could change that as well

K frame WILL work if you stick to the 67 "only" idler arm. Those two parts--the K frame and idler are only difference, of course it must be "same engine" AKA slant six if you have a six or V8 otherwise

Grills will not interchange as headlight buckets are located different in a 67, this too can be changed if you use a 68 or 69 grille

I am talking direct bolt on 67 parts swaps, you are talking about what will bolt on and fit, two different interpretations of what he is asking.

Yup, LA born and lived here its whole life. We're definitley going to give it a go and try and save it, but money, unfortunately, is a factor. I have these post accident pics now that show the car as it was towed to my dad's place. I stopped by earlier today and saw he's already removed the passenger fender, that's where you can see the real damage. I'll have to get pics of that over the weekend and share... see if maybe its not too bad?

The impact was on the passenger side but it pushed things so hard that the drivers side fender was bent and the frame is kind of twisted out to the left.

View attachment 1715714338

View attachment 1715714339

I wrecked my 69 GTS 383 4-speed in 1979 and it looked just like that. I had the frame pulled and new inner fender replaced on the passenger side and it was just fine. You can take all the outer sheet metal off and the engine out and take it to a frame shop, they should be able to get it back to spec although you still may need to replace a frame rail and the inner structures afterwards.

bucket locations are different all 3 years, some later years are almost same as 67 will fit headlight trim location but trim mounting hole location is wrong ( I have a later fender 73, 74???? on my 67, the fender has crush ribs but is otherwise 95% the same)

Any update on the damage?

BTW, your dad's experience got me off the pot to get Hagerty classic insurance. My state farm insurance was cheap (covid discount especially cheap) but if it was totaled I would have gotten maybe scrap value for it.

Now I have enough guaranteed replacement value to find another socal rust free 67 dart convert should the need arise. I even splurged for the sentimental value policy so I would get the cash and the car!

Last edited:
-
Back