Dart to 4spd Conversion

-
Currently accumulating parts to do the same thing to my '68 barracuda. In terms of actual modifications to the car, you have to...
- Cut your floor and weld in a 4-speed transmission hump (to make room for the shift linkages)
- Either machine out your crankshaft for a pilot bushing OR cut the trans input shaft and use a brewer's adapter pilot bushing
- New driveshaft/modify existing one
- swap out auto pedals for a factory 4-speed setup
- weld in mounts on chassis for Z-bar setup (if you are going with a factory mechanical clutch)

Thankfully, you can use the auto transmission crossmember, all you need is a different trans mount.

Parts-wise, you'll need:
- A833 4-speed
- V8 bellhousing w/ shift fork, pivot, and boot
- neutral balance 340 flywheel
- clutch pack
- shifter and shifter linkages
- 4-speed floor hump
- driveshaft
- 4-speed pedals
- Z-bar setup with linkages and bushings
- pilot bushing

plus some other stuff I am most likely forgetting.
Price varies, many people say it'll cost upwards of $2500, but I am trying to do as budget as possible. I got ahold of an A833OD for $250, and I've got the proper V8 bellhousing in the mail (300 + shipping). Since piecing together the factory clutch linkage setup sounds expensive and difficult, I'm retrofitting a "factory" hydraulic clutch setup from a 1965-1971 dodge truck for about $100. If you want to go this route, you'll have to figure out how to cut holes in your firewall and mount the clutch master cylinder.

Realistically, it will run around $3500+ if you can find a good trans that does not need rebuilt and do thrifty shopping. This is the way I did my Duster.

The cheapest way is to buy a parts car, and take everything off one car, but 4-speed parts cars are few and far between anymore. I got lucky for a 4-speed for my 70 challenger and bought a rust-bucket complete 4 speed car for parts, but then again, condition is unknown and more dollar will need to be spent for re-refurbishment of components, so I figure add another $1000 on top of the purchase price.

Let's just say a s*$#ton, I swapped my 67 Dart years ago. A lot of fun when finished but a laborious swap!

A lot... 3k is fair number if you have nothing. I did mine over 4 years slowly collecting parts. Nothing is cheap but if patient you can really cut the cost to a half or third depending on goals. Picked up a scatter shield off eBay with a block plate for 125 (guy labeled it incorrectly), pedals with pivots, arm, z-bar and bushings for 140 (really good deal), hemi trans that needed a rebuild in a trade for a snowblower... yeah, I'm cheap. Saved on rebuild with a main shaft labeled incorrectly. Shifter / linkage isn't cheap either but found a ramrod with mounts for another 150. Brother has linkage so that helps, will fabricate a set. Then flywheel and clutch. Stuck there so I paid list for a McCleod flywheel and RST clutch, will not write that number. Then a driveshaft, again had AL shaft made for about 370. Then boots, clips, I don't want to add it up but expensive. Then start breaking stuff... forgot throughout bearing. Just adds up a cut at a time. At least I had the plate for the pivot on the frame so that was free..

This is a street/ strip car so you can save on clutch / flywheel but this stuff adds up quickly

Good luck though, not trying to deter you. Just a bunch to do. Mine is finally in the car but I haven't begun the butcher process for the shifter yet.

Did mine for $1.8k. Trans needed rebuilding (rebuild kit and 2nd gear from Jamie) and scrounged all of the CORRECT parts from here, moparts, CR, e-bay, etc. It can be done if you are willing to do the work yourself.

-
Back