Dartin for Divorce

-
Then i keep forgetting qhich bolts go where so I take them all in and out.

If you're as dumb as me (hard to imagine, I know...) when you take out bolts on something like this you lay down a long piece of 2" masking tape sticky side up, then lay the bolts on them in order going around the bellhousing. When done another piece of tape goes over the top to trap them all in place and I mark where I started at what hole so they all get back home safely. Like I said, that's how this dummy solves the problem.

If you're as dumb as me (hard to imagine, I know...) when you take out bolts on something like this you lay down a long piece of 2" masking tape sticky side up, then lay the bolts on them in order going around the bellhousing. When done another piece of tape goes over the top to trap them all in place and I mark where I started at what hole so they all get back home safely. Like I said, that's how this dummy solves the problem.

Thats a good idea!

I had them all organized when I started... then it took longer than I imagined and when that happened i just threw the tools and parts into a cardboard box and messed everything up.

Usually I get plastic bags and label everything but I was "hoping" to be done in a weekend. Not have this drag out for 2 weeks ugh

This will never run again. :(
I had that happen once after changing a transmission.
Thought everything was good to go, fired it up and snapped the ears off the front pump.
The OP 's car will run and drive again, he's been warned about possible problems.

I had that happen once after changing a transmission.
Thought everything was good to go, fired it up and snapped the ears off the front pump.
The OP 's car will run and drive again, he's been warned about possible problems.

Snapped ears off the front pump? Idk what the front pump is and have no clue how you would snap them off. Sounds horrible though.

The car will run tomorrow and he knows it will lol. I'm super excited and interested to see how the 3.23 gears do with this torque converter. I have read multiple multiple times that a good tc will transform how your car drives for the better. I'll probably have to start figuring out how to make my tires spin less sometime this year...

Its for timing marks on a van.

Is that really a van bellhousing? Lol it's my spare 727 that iant so much a spare because it wouldn't fit in my car if this 904 ***** the bed... i should probably buy another 904 and rebuild it for a spare... there is one for sale near me for 200 bucks.

The ears are on the front pump of the transmission.
The slots on the convertor engage the ears to turn the pump.
The ears will snap if the convertor is not aligned/engaged properly.

The ears are on the front pump of the transmission.
The slots on the convertor engage the ears to turn the pump.
The ears will snap if the convertor is not aligned/engaged properly.

Maybe I should triple check that my converter is engaged all the way. I did 2x then used a wrench bolted to the transmission to hold it in when I lifted the transmission up.

did the convertor spin freely before you bolted it to the flex plate?

Last edited:
did the convertor spin freely when you bolted it to the flex plate?

Heck no, that thing is a pain in the *** to spin. Takes so much force to spin it all. Even when it was just the flex plate it was hard to spin (when I was making the holes in the flex pmate bigger.

Heck no, that thing is a pain in the *** to spin. Takes so much force to spin it all. Even when it was just the flex plate it was hard to spin (when I was making the holes in the flex pmate bigger.
my bad I edited my post, spin before bolted to flex plate. lol

It did when it was on the ground. I didnt spin it much again after I lifted it up and started bolting the trans to the engine.
It's probably engaged correctly, otherwise the convertor would not spin when the transmission was firmly bolted in place. should be about 3/8" or so fore and aft movement of the convertor

Is that really a van bellhousing? Lol it's my spare 727 that iant so much a spare because it wouldn't fit in my car if this 904 ***** the bed... i should probably buy another 904 and rebuild it for a spare... there is one for sale near me for 200 bucks.
Yes its out of van. No difference than a car except the hole.

Stupid thing wont start... i changed plugs, some spark plug wires, double checked spark plug wires. It has gas. It cranks. Just wont fire up. Even hooked up my wifes car to the battery. The Neutral safety switched is bypassed, even though I put a "new" old one in it.

Its fully of transmission fluid.

Now its sitting in the driveway... not starting.... how about that insurance check?:elmer:

20220418_192347.jpg

Stupid thing wont start... i changed plugs, some spark plug wires, double checked spark plug wires. It has gas. It cranks. Just wont fire up. Even hooked up my wifes car to the battery. The Neutral safety switched is bypassed, even though I put a "new" old one in it.

Its fully of transmission fluid.

Now its sitting in the driveway... not starting.... how about that insurance check?:elmer:

View attachment 1715910193
Pull a wire off a plug and put a spare spark plug in the wire lay it on something bare metal and see if it has spark when the engine turns over.
You do not have to pull a plug out the head. Just stick a used one or extra on the wire.
Be fastest and easiest way to see if ya have spark.

Pull a wire off a plug and put a spare spark plug in the wire lay it on something bare metal and see if it has spark when the engine turns over.
You do not have to pull a plug out the head. Just stick a used one or extra on the wire.

No spark, but dont know why I wouldn't have spark. Nothing is different.

He doesn't have a test light or volt meter. :( So we gotta keep it super basic. I did suggest a tail lite bulb and some speaker wire and make his own test light.

A timing light would be the easy way.

-
Back