Dartin for Divorce

-
Remind me to find another dentist, mine has no tools.:lol:

Im a much better dentist than I am a mechanic lol. I'm ocd with my dental work. If someone pays for it they deserve to get the best work I can possibly give.

But no, I dont have a volt meter haha. Its my way of avoiding electrical work...

While it's possible you have a random failure, it's most likely that the work you did is the cause. Time to look at everything you touched, moved, or could have..

When the trans comes out, it's possible for the engine to tilt and the distributor to hit the firewall. If that happens, several terrible things could result, or maybe nothing would result.

But I've seen shafts snap, caps come loose, wires come loose or get pinched. Also possible to lose a ground strap and cause the ignition to not fire. It's also possible the bulkhead connector got rubbed, bumped, or otherwise disturbed.

Hell, I've seen main battery cables get pinched when putting in a trans. Reconnecting the battery caused all kinds of fireworks..

I'd start with making sure the distributor turns when you crank, and that you have a good ground to the block. The fact you have no headlights is also a clue that it could be a ground issue. Don't discount the chance that old work came loose while monkeying with the trans..

While it's possible you have a random failure, it's most likely that the work you did is the cause. Time to look at everything you touched, moved, or could have..

When the trans comes out, it's possible for the engine to tilt and the distributor to hit the firewall. If that happens, several terrible things could result, or maybe nothing would result.

But I've seen shafts snap, caps come loose, wires come loose or get pinched. Also possible to lose a ground strap and cause the ignition to not fire. It's also possible the bulkhead connector got rubbed, bumped, or otherwise disturbed.

Hell, I've seen main battery cables get pinched when putting in a trans. Reconnecting the battery caused all kinds of fireworks..

I'd start with making sure the distributor turns when you crank, and that you have a good ground to the block. The fact you have no headlights is also a clue that it could be a ground issue. Don't discount the chance that old work came loose while monkeying with the trans..

I was going to check the wires tomorrow.

My head lights dont work? I didnt try to turn them on.

My guess is a connection to the coil or the distributor was knocked loose. I did move the coil around to get the trans bolt in, so that is a good possibility.

I also remember that the kd cable got stuck on a piece of the trans when pulling it out, so maybe that yanked on something that wasn't supposed to get yanked on.

I was going to check the wires tomorrow.

My head lights dont work? I didnt try to turn them on.

My guess is a connection to the coil or the distributor was knocked loose. I did move the coil around to get the trans bolt in, so that is a good possibility.

I also remember that the kd cable got stuck on a piece of the trans when pulling it out, so maybe that yanked on something that wasn't supposed to get yanked on.

I must be misremembering, I thought it cranked but no fire and no headlights and a few other items - but I first read it a few hours ago, and I probably hit my head since then.

Dentists can't afford a few test lights!!:poke:

I'm broke... and saving all my money for a practice... or to buy something cool here this weekend... I'll buy a volt meter on the way home. If I'm 20 bucks short this weekend I blame the purple you lol. :poke::rofl:

Screenshot_20220419-074022_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-074007_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-073958_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-073948_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-073935_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-213851_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-213845_Facebook.jpg

Multimeters used to be like $8 at Harbor Freight. Not the best thing ever, but worked great to tell you if there was voltage or continuity.

Maybe he could trade a teeth cleaning for a volt meter? That way it cost him nothing.

Think of what moved when you had the trans out.
One thing I noticed was you still had the distributor cap on, I bet you broke or at least cracked it.
Also you might have pulled the wiring going down to the starter, when the rear of engine dropped down.

Never say "Never", he'll get it figured out (like we all have had to do) and get it going. "Then" I say, "we shall see how well he likes the TQ converter".:popcorn:
I agree. I'm just pulling his chain.

So... I bought a ballast resistor, new distributor cap and rotor.

I also bought a bolt meter, don't know how to use it but it will be fun learning how to diagnose with it.

I also bought a battery charger. Freak those things are expensive.

Never say "Never", he'll get it figured out (like we all have had to do) and get it going. "Then" I say, "we shall see how well he likes the TQ converter".:popcorn:

I'm going to love the torque converter. Can't be worse than my old converter

Messed with some stuff. Found that I didn't retighten down the wires to the top of the starter. Could this prevent spark?

I had them toght, then had to remove them to move the trans cooler lines around the starter. Apparently I didnt retighten them down. Oops.

I also checked all my wires at the bulk head, distributor, ballast resistor, coil and ignition box. Everything tight.

Pressed gas pedal a couple times and she fired right up.

Woohoo! Will take it for a drive tomorrow!

-
Back