Dartin for Divorce

-
My least favorite part of auto transmissions are the cooler lines. The linkage is fairly easy to deal with. But once you do it a few times, dropping the trans is pretty easy, especially with help. An auto is also better than trying to line up the input shaft of a 4spd..

Still, I never look forward to it either.. Better to just do it and be done.

I have a wonderful buy now...pay for the rest of your life plan.....and dont have to tell the wife either....lol

Thanks! What's the interest rate on that plan? I really just feel so bad using your parts and not paying for them.

I'm going to get everything unhooked/unbolted right now so tomorrow morning that trans drops out with ease... hopefully.

I have parts that i dont use....besides...if i ever need false teeth...i will look you up...

Pop your distributor cap off. It gets close to the wiper motor.

quick review please.

works great....used it to put 46Rh in 94 ram 2500...plus friend used it to remove standard trans from 99 2500 Cumming Diesel...plus another friend used to to Remove and replace 46RE in 96 Dodge ram 4 x 4.....plus I used it to Remove and replace 42RH in 95 Dakota..........

Those top bolts that hold the tranny to the engine are SOB's but I got the heavy ****** out! I actually had to slide the trans off the jack after getting it out since the jack with the trans on it was still a little to high to slide it out from under the car.

My current TC is I believe a 10 in converter (measuring bolt hole to bolt hole) and is 12 1/4in tooth to tooth. It has 5225 stamped on it and 762 written on it most likely from when it was rebuilt before. I could only get it to foot brake stall to around 1800 before the tires started spinning so I'm assuming it's a stock stall rebuild?

I'll clean the trans up tomorrow before Tony and I start taking it apart.

20200420_174152.jpg

20200420_174240.jpg

20200420_174413.jpg

20200420_174503.jpg

Congrats Doc! You popped your transmission removal cherry!

I R&R'd mine yesterday. (Secret...I also had to slide it off the jack to clear it).

I pull the distributor and loosen the coil so it pivots. Then just kinda lay on the engine to remove the top two bolts. The rest you can reach with a long extension.

For a guy with ADHD you sure are not afraid to jump in and tackle any job!! I truly enjoy following your thread. And you help give me motivation when I'm not always up for a project!!

Congrats Doc! You popped your transmission removal cherry!

I R&R'd mine yesterday. (Secret...I also had to slide it off the jack to clear it).

I pull the distributor and loosen the coil so it pivots. Then just kinda lay on the engine to remove the top two bolts. The rest you can reach with a long extension.

For a guy with ADHD you sure are not afraid to jump in and tackle any job!! I truly enjoy following your thread. And you help give me motivation when I'm not always up for a project!!

Removed and reinstalled? In 1 day? Shoot... that's good timing!

The ADHD doesn't make me afraid of going after a project, not knowing how to do any of it scares me. I've been blessed to have a very good teacher lately though!

you know, that thing might of been on the edge of dying anyway, and that new cam was just the last straw :D

The smoking gun!
Found some cooked parts, but what caused it? Kickdown?

I think my transmission guy said something about inadequate owner/driver error. Lol honestly we dont know, he thinks there may have been a missing thrust washer when it was rebuilt.

like i thought, fubar... :(
how's the wife's vacation plans coming :lol:

I know tight?! She was looking at cruises yesterday. Maybe she will take me with her? :D

I also found this while cleaning. Looks like someone filled a bolt hole with black RTV, I dont know what kind of bolt would go there and for what it would be for.

When my transmission was rebuilt it was also built with a low (2.74?) first gear which is supposed to be a good thing.

20200421_173932.jpg

20200421_173936.jpg

the black hole is where the pin that holds the rear band adjuster in....lol.....we will remove that pin and put the correct O rings on the pin....but the rtv is there to keep it from leaking tranny fluild...

Looking at the ATsg manual I think it was missing a thrust washer in the rear planetary as it had alot of end play.....we will see...

yes..it has a low gear set in it.....

Doc, when you get the car back running you should let 70aarcuda keep it at his house, he can decide when you get to play with it, maybe you can stop jacking with it for a while then LOL

Doc, when you get the car back running you should let 70aarcuda keep it at his house, he can decide when you get to play with it, maybe you can stop jacking with it for a while then LOL

That's a good idea! It would probably keep me from breaking anything else. Only problem is the fact that the car isnt fast enough to be in his garage. He likes aluminum heads and strokers (360s) with no rear seats :p

-
Back