-
i try to only break one tool a week, but hey, the weekend's coming :thumbsup:

Going to drag over my miller 211 for him to use tomorrow

If i was a tool rental company...i would be making a killing on this kid

i try to only break one tool a week, but hey, the weekend's coming :thumbsup:

My car is just a broken love.

Going to drag over my miller 211 for him to use tomorrow

If i was a tool rental company...i would be making a killing on this kid

This is very true! I replaced that wire again and still no go on the start. It doesn't crank, could it be the starter? The little knob that the wire attaches to pulls out of the starter, it looks clean in the hole but it's a no go on the cranking/starting. I'll clean up the ground again, I'll also mess with the neutral safety switch. I tried tightening it a little more but couldn't get a wrench on it, which then I pulled it out and dumped fluid all over

:BangHead: my life

shorting the solenoid and starter at the starter relay switch bypasses the neutral safety switch...

Stud spun in starter, its got a broken internal lead. Careful, some will short to power and keep starter engaged.

Mig, as mentioned remove tip. Run welder. Wire should feed out. side of roller,if using .035 then marking on roller should face outwards.
wire coming off spool cant have kinks or bends.
The roller with the grooves need to line up perfectly with the wire.

Stud spun in starter, its got a broken internal lead. Careful, some will short to power and keep starter engaged.

Mig, as mentioned remove tip. Run welder. Wire should feed out. side of roller,if using .035 then marking on roller should face outwards.
wire coming off spool cant have kinks or bends.
The roller with the grooves need to line up perfectly with the wire.

So the starter is broken? I wonder if my warranty on it is still good.

Edit- starter has limited lifetime warranty. I'd assume this would qualify as warranty replacement. I'll go get one tomorrow

Last edited:
So the starter is broken? I wonder if my warranty on it is still good.

Edit- starter has limited lifetime warranty. I'd assume this would qualify as warranty replacement. I'll go get one tomorrow
Note to self-use 1/4 drive tools when installing wires. And gently snug. Copper is real soft.

Sunday? Shoot... you have faith in me.... trans is all hooked up, new lines will be here tomorrow (?), I'll grab a starter tomorrow, and weld those brackets tomorrow.... so maybe I'll be ready sometime by next friday. :poke::D

I guess you could say.... I'm not much of a welder. The giant gaps are not my forte... I guess it's ok I only made 1 extra hole... It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere though.

I got a new starter today. So its go time for trying to start the car!

20200501_134506.jpg

20200501_134446.jpg

20200501_134431.jpg

20200501_134413.jpg

20200501_134524.jpg

when you were talking about the welder i thought you were going to cut the end off the rod and weld it back on in the correct position :thumbsup:

when you were talking about the welder i thought you were going to cut the end off the rod and weld it back on in the correct position :thumbsup:

Oh to make a rod for the console shifter?!... that's a good idea... just dont know if I'm skilled enough with the welder yet?

you have plenty of floor to practice on :lol:

Touche' I may be able to get away with just cutting the rod and bending it a little. I'll check it out here in a bit after the kids are asleep.

I also have to figure out why I cant get the console to shift into 1st and 2and gear. I dont know if it's getting hung up on something or what. It would be easier if I could get my wife to try and shift the console while I watch. The lever was going through all the gears before going back in the car. I probably did something wrong... per usual

Edit- found the problem :thumbsup: bending my tranny lines all to hell made them interfere with the column kickdown linkage preventing it from moving any farther. Luckily I got brand new lines and they are fed through ready to be hooked up.

Tomorrow I'll hook up lines, finish up carpet, install seats, and see about hacking up a rod to try and make a lower rod.

20200501_220337.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow... these lines were a pita to take out... new lines installed. Due to having an external cooler I still have soft lines running to and from the cooler but st least my new lines are not interfering with the column shifter.

20200502_145112.jpg

If the lines are routed correctly they come out pretty easy. I managed to thread in my lines
Without much of a battle.
Still making progress, thats all that matters.
I found the shifter on the trans can be different lengths. Column shift is a longer lever. I drilled a hole to get one to work in a console shift.

If the lines are routed correctly they come out pretty easy. I managed to thread in my lines
Without much of a battle.
Still making progress, thats all that matters.
I found the shifter on the trans can be different lengths. Column shift is a longer lever. I drilled a hole to get one to work in a console shift.

Well my lines were all bent up 90 degrees in every direction on their way back to the transmission. Add in how close the headers sit to the engine the lines dont want to flow back very easily. They are done though, hooked up at transmission and at radiator/oil cooler.

Hello, doc! Nice work on the car. Has it occurred to you that as you progress with your project, you will have eventually fixed everything and all you will have left to do is drive the thing?

-
Back